Trying to prepare for winter

Help Support CattleToday:

We are lucky here, I guess. Not as much ice as was forecast.

I'm watching cows because we can't figure out what happened nine months ago.

As a kid, I hated wearing a toboggan, but Mom made me. It was my fingers and toes that would freeze.

Now that I'm telling grandkids the same thing momma told me, I find that my fingers and toes do quite well. It's my cheeks (face) and ears that freeze. I'm happy to wear a full face toboggan now.

A much larger issue is going pee out in the cold.

Last edited by a moderator:
We got just a little slick ice. It changed to 1-2" of sleet about the consistency of mortar sand, great traction. Maybe an inch of snow on top. Schools out, but no problem getting around.

Rotten cold! NWS is saying we got 6.6" snow on top of all the ice, still 30-35 mph gusts and wind chills in the negatives.

It's all bad. Pipes for the west 80 stock tank froze and spent quality time working on that. I couldn't get the netting off the bales with the layers of ice/snow and finally, after my numerous inappropriate hand gestures to Mr. TC (who was sitting in the nice, warm tractor), he used the spear to pull off the netting - and subsequently wasting a ton of hay, but whatcha gonna do.

At least we're not calving!!!! Best friend has already lost 2.

We got just a little slick ice. It changed to 1-2" of sleet about the consistency of mortar sand, great traction. Maybe an inch of snow on top. Schools out, but no problem getting around.
Your SE Illinois is a ways from mine. NW corner of Crawford County has maybe a tenth inch of sleet and freezing rain combined. Snowed overnight and all day. About to quit according to radar, at 6pm. So much wind it's hard to measure. I would say 8" to 12". Cows weren't thrilled with it. Shouldn't be in calves before March

I apologize for my previous post in this thread. I unintentionally broke the rules.

Really, I'm sorry. I didn't think it was anything but funny.

I'm happy to wear a full face toboggan now.
Thought of you today. I have one of those North Face Balaclavas, which I only wear when it's sub-zero. Yes, it's warm - kinda/sorta. There's something inherently wrong about breaking out in a sweat in negative temps, but inevitable when you're wearing 30 lbs of outerwear and doing hard, physical labor. So, I'm wrestling with the frozen netting (among other things) and sporting my warm & toasty full-face toboggan/Balaclava. Which is all good, until the river of snot starts pouring out my nose, subsequently freezing on my toboggan. And therein lies my dilemma. Pull it off my face & freeze or leave it on & deal with a wet, uncomfortable yet still somewhat warm layer of nasty. Hate winter!!! Just glad we don't get spanked with all-out brutal very often.

Thought of you today. I have one of those North Face Balaclavas, which I only wear when it's sub-zero. Yes, it's warm - kinda/sorta. There's something inherently wrong about breaking out in a sweat in negative temps, but inevitable when you're wearing 30 lbs of outerwear and doing hard, physical labor. So, I'm wrestling with the frozen netting (among other things) and sporting my warm & toasty full-face toboggan/Balaclava. Which is all good, until the river of snot starts pouring out my nose, subsequently freezing on my toboggan. And therein lies my dilemma. Pull it off my face & freeze or leave it on & deal with a wet, uncomfortable yet still somewhat warm layer of nasty. Hate winter!!! Just glad we don't get spanked with all-out brutal very often.
Sounds like an interview for a playboy model spot, right up until the snot part! My goodness lady, have you no manners?!

Your SE Illinois is a ways from mine. NW corner of Crawford County has maybe a tenth inch of sleet and freezing rain combined. Snowed overnight and all day. About to quit according to radar, at 6pm. So much wind it's hard to measure. I would say 8" to 12". Cows weren't thrilled with it. Shouldn't be in calves before March
Funny how fast things can change, distance-wise. We maybe ended up with another inch of snow, but it's about over now, except for the wind.

So I think I understand now why it is you southern folks have a hard time with cooler temperatures. A toboggan will not provide any insulating value whatsoever, and I can only imagine how awkward it would be to try to wear one.
View attachment 12822

Those would really get moving down a slope. Had a lot of fun on them way back when I was growing up.

So I think I understand now why it is you southern folks have a hard time with cooler temperatures. A toboggan will not provide any insulating value whatsoever, and I can only imagine how awkward it would be to try to wear one.
View attachment 12822
I may have spelled it wrong, but that's what my Aunt Sook and Granny Bennett called it.
But hey, they both chewed Cannonball.

Rotten cold! NWS is saying we got 6.6" snow on top of all the ice, still 30-35 mph gusts and wind chills in the negatives.

It's all bad. Pipes for the west 80 stock tank froze and spent quality time working on that. I couldn't get the netting off the bales with the layers of ice/snow and finally, after my numerous inappropriate hand gestures to Mr. TC (who was sitting in the nice, warm tractor), he used the spear to pull off the netting - and subsequently wasting a ton of hay, but whatcha gonna do.

At least we're not calving!!!! Best friend has already lost 2.
I THOUGHT that's why we put hay out Tuesday!!
Silly gurl! So we didn't have to do it today!

I THOUGHT that's why we put hay out Tuesday!!
Silly gurl! So we didn't have to do it today!
I did!! But they were only pounding 3 of the bales, dissing the others that may have been a little stemmy. And I'm a sucker when it's cold, didn't make them clean it up (eat what's on your plate or go to bed hungry 🤔?).

Light rained yesterday, then heavier rain today. It's rain/freezing rain now.
Ground is still wet with water standing, some ice on the trees, power lines etc.
Another heifer calved this afternoon in the barn.
On the subject of toboggan, around here it refers to the kind you wear, but I have heard of it on tv referring to a sled type thing too. In this area, the locals tend to abbreviate words so it's known as a boggin.
I upgraded from a boggin to a Carharrt insulated hat with ear flaps many years ago and would not want to go back.
My hands are what gets cold the most now. Wife ordered me some heated gloves with rechargeable batteries.
They are the best I've found but still don't quite work when it's real cold.

Latest posts