True Story: idiot in the drive thru

Help Support CattleToday:

Isomade

Reaction score
So, I'm sitting at the drive thru yesterday ordering a hamburger. Idiot with a gooseneck stock trailer forgets the trailer is behind him and tries to whip around the drive thru corner. Of course the ledge on the side of the wide stock trailer catch the edge of the drive thru lighted menu. He realizes it just in time and gets stopped but not before removing some paint and leaving the sign tilted at a pretty good angle. Unfortunately that idiot was ME :dunce: . Went in and got the manager who was very nice about the whole deal. But man do I feel stupid. :bang:

i know how u feel.last winter i had a utility trailer hooked up and was sitting in my truck just lookin at my cows for about 15 minutes,well when i go to leave i just back up and totally jack knife the trailer into the side of my truck.felt like a total idiot.i was glad none of my boys was there cause i am always telling them to pull there read out of there azz and pay attention.they would of loved it.

piedmontese":1flr34fo said:
i know how u feel.last winter i had a utility trailer hooked up and was sitting in my truck just lookin at my cows for about 15 minutes,well when i go to leave i just back up and totally jack knife the trailer into the side of my truck.felt like a total idiot.i was glad none of my boys was there cause i am always telling them to pull there read out of there azz and pay attention.they would of loved it.

Did the same thing many years ago with a boat behind the truck at a convenience store. There was a little beer involved. I don't know how I survived my youth.

You just brough back a story that happened to my best friend.
She parked in the wrong parking lot and could not back out and had to take the truck, a 20' goose neck and 3 horses through the Taco Bell drive thru.
One of the ladies in the truck with her kept yelling, "My horse is back there!"
They made it through though.

Thank you for cowboying up and admitting it for our amusement! You told the story well.

I can't back up a trailer very well to save my life, and I have just gotten over being embarassed about it. But my biggest embarassment pulling a trailer came courtesy of my better half. We had a little 10 foot utility trailer up at the lake with us for a kiddie hayride on a Halloween camping trip. When we headed out for home, I ended up driving our motor home, and doofus, I mean dearly beloved, changed the trailer from his pickup to the motor home. He had to swap the receivers too. So off I go, but when I got out of the camping loop and up to about 20 mph all of a sudden there was this horrible noise behind me. The motor home is wider than the trailer, couldn't see squat, so just hit the brakes. Then something rear-ended me. It was the trailer, because dearly beloved forgot to install the pin that holds the receiver in. Tore quite a groove in the blacktop dragging the tongue of the trailer with the safety chains. And it put a big dent in the back of the RV when it hit me. And EVERYBODY in the whole dang campground came out to gawk. And thought I did it to myself. Grrrrrrrrrr.

Had to do some work in downtown orlando, at an office building with a tiny parking lot. So I get the truck and trailer in there, cars all around and get the job done. But when it came time to leave the fed ex guy had blocked me in and was gabbing with the front desk girl. I was running behind that day, and had a bunch more to do so I figured I could squeeze out, but swiped the fed ex truck. I got so frustrated that after I told him, and he left, that after I dropped the trialer to spin it by hand, and went to turn the truck around, that I backed into a flimsy light pole, knocked it down and it was maybe 3 feet above a car, almost hitting the car too. I felt about 1 inch tall that day.
Then there was the time with a utility trailer and pulling away from a gas pump, forgetting the trailer was back there, and turning too soon away from the pump, hitting that protective concrete pole, and bending the fender of the trailer real good.

You do not have to be hooked to a trailer to look like a fool. If you ever want to haul fire wood in the cab of you truck, it is a lot easier to open the door and put it into the cab instead of throwing it through the back glass. Not as bad as not remembering to latch the trailer door until you see the cows hitting the pavement behind you at 35 mph. Not that this would be first hand knowledge. :oops: :oops: :oops:

I know "a guy" who was driving down the highway and took out a mailbox with the back door of his trailer. Which was full of half crazy calves. He never ran as fast as when he got out of the truck and raced back to slam the door in the face of the first three calves who were checking out the gap.

Because of his near major screw-up, I always check all the doors one more time before I pull away. Luckily I could learn from his idiotic mistake :oops:

You'd be surprised how loud a steel door is when it slams shut after it hits a mailbox at 50mph. :shock:

Lost 10 850lb bulls calves once when I stopped at a stop sign. Had drove about 30 miles but don't know how long the sliding door had been open. Trailer now has a roll up door so that will not happen.

don't any of you guys put safety chains on your gates
around here if you don't chain your gates then more than likely you will have a gate come open especially after a trailer hets a couple yrs old
and NO it doesn't matter what brand of trailer it is all the twisting and bouncing on our fine roads work on them latches pretty hard

Angus Cowman":3rc8bq8c said:
around here if you don't chain your gates then more than likely you will have a gate come open especially after a trailer hets a couple yrs old
and NO it doesn't matter what brand of trailer it is all the twisting and bouncing on our fine roads work on them latches pretty hard
I was wondering the same thing! I even set mine up so I can use a safety chain on the middle gate just so that it doesn;t come open and smoosh whatever is in the back by whatever is in the fornt. It's gotten to be such a habit that even if the back is empty I still hook the middle chain

Angus Cowman":175tyllx said:
That was while I was young and dumb. :eek:
Also why I bought a Wilson trailer with the roll up door. It can't come open.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
Thanks for the story, you have just made me feel better about my broken drivers side mirror that shattered when I decided to back through a gate that I have backed through a thousand times. Only this time the mirror was bigger than usual and I smacked it on the post. Of course when I heard the noise I pushed harder on the gas pedal instead of something. If you are going to break something do it right I say. :banana:

:lol2: :nod: :lol2: :nod: :lol2: :nod: :lol2:

Well -- the above sums it up nicely.

...and yes as a matter of fact, we do have safety latches on the sliding door(s), hinged door(s), and everything is checked quite a few times before departure now...

Why is it that we're all so darn hard headed that we have to "learn" these things for ourselves? :D

Every time that I pull up at the salebarn I win the "ugly trailer contest", got ropes and chains all over it.

:lol2:
I think my personal best was when I hooked up to the goosneck in a hurry and didn't raise and pin the stand and took off for the sales yard. I left a rut on every high spot in the driveway but didn't take notice until I hit a bump in the road at sixty plus....Then I noticed :nod:
I bent it so bad that it took me an hour with a sledge hammer to beat it back into shape so that I could un-hook. When I finally got it to drop I pulled out from under the trailer without dropping my tailgate and collapsed the tailgate on a two week old pickup.

Unlike you bozos I've never wrapped a trailer around anything ...that said...I was walking down a courthouse square sidewalk many years ago on my way to a very important business appointment. Across the street walking walking the opposite direction down the other sidewalk in front of the storefronts was a beautiful lady...I remember looking and thinking (not lustfully at all) "what a beautiful lady". And she was indeed a very beautiful lady. As I continued to walk briskly suddenly my gazing was interrupted by my straddling a parking meter while stepping out "full speed"...papers went everywhere, my manhood was bruised to say the least.I'm sure numberous courthouse employees saw me attack said parking meter although I couldn't see them. By the time I picked up by paperwork this beautiful lady which had almost caused the ruination of my future family had disappeared and I was left alone to always wonder "I wonder if anyone was looking".

A few years latter the meters were removed...I always figured I had a little something to do with it. :lol2:
So with total humility this bozo asks to be "admitted to the club". :dunce:

Latest posts