truck mounted bale decks

Help Support CattleToday:

I know a few guys that have started using the cannonball bed.

photo%20for%20emailing.jpg

cannonballengineering.com

I use a bramco (the type with the two spears" I like it but if you have the money I would go ahead and get a deweze or the hydra bed ( the ones that you can load two bales on) My brother has a deweze and it works great for loading bales on trailers and to set the welder and stuff on the pickup. My Bramco will do it but not as easy. Its ok since I got a good deal on it.

i just ordered that video from triple c 3 nights ago, thanks for post- i hope alot of people reply. those bale beds look real handy.
I think i'd rather feed in the comfort of a pick-up. I just can't decide if I should buy an older pick-up to mount it on or mount one on my newer one. I just don't like the idea of a bunch of hungry cows running up to your pick-up and denting the sides all up.

We run one like the Cannonball setup and the Triple C deal. Ours is a Deweze and I think you can't go wrong there! They are built real heavy and we like those the best. They have that Perkins hydr. pump and all that stuff. Works good we love em! But they do cost more than the Cannonball or the Butlers or the Triple C but I think they are worth it for the extra money. If ya want I will post some better pictures of it. They are only made to carry 2 bales at once but we have seen guys carry 3 at once but thats not really a good idea all the guys we have seen carry 3 have had their pickups in the shop gettin' the chassis patched so I wouldn't do that if i was you. But they are real handy to pickup other stuff too like 4 wheelers and bale rings and gates and all that stuff one of them arm beds will pickup just about anything you want. If you buy one I dont think you will ever come close to hating it.

deweze.jpg

IM000627.jpg

Frenchie, not sure if this would be any help, but Honey is working on a system to feed bales with off the deck of an old flatdeck dually one ton 4 x4 that we have (due to our old Case tractor's fussy temperment about starting when it's cold).

Basically, it's a system with a couple of tractor bale forks welded onto a heavy steel bar (terminology probably wrong, but bear with me). That bar has another welded onto it (like a big T), with a hole in the end for a winch cable to run through.

The bar with the forks is attatched to the truck bed so that it swings up and down.

Winch is then attatched near cab of flatdeck. We hope to be able to affford a power winch soon, but currently it's more of a come-along, so basically human operated.

I'll try and get some pictures posted here of this project in the next few days.

Downside is you can only feed one bale at a time. Upside is that not only is there heat in the truck versus the cold cab of the tractor, there's also an old AM radio still working so can sing along as you set out the bales for the day (cows may not see that as an upside, but I guess as long as their getting their groceries they shouldn't complain).

Take care.

Well, this is kind of a sad picture, but I had some time to kill while supper is cooking.

Hope it's legible, and although pretty crude, probably illustrates what Honey has made so far better than my explanation.

truckbalefeeder.jpg

Take care.

Questions for anyone feeding with one of the Deweze or Cannonball type hay rigs:

What unrolls the hay? Just dragging the bale along the ground?

How well does the contraption work when the bale gets down close to the center? Can you pick up a "tag end", carry it off down the road a piece, then unroll it easily somewhere else?

Bernard":3gtq5ych said:
Questions for anyone feeding with one of the Deweze or Cannonball type hay rigs:

What unrolls the hay? Just dragging the bale along the ground?
Yes
How well does the contraption work when the bale gets down close to the center? Can you pick up a "tag end", carry it off down the road a piece, then unroll it easily somewhere else?
You let the arms down as the bale size decreases. A partial bale(tag end?) can be set back up on the bed and taken someplace else.

When do you cut the strings off? If you cut them off before you load the roll, doesn't it fall apart before you reach you destination?

jw":3a494fj8 said:
When do you cut the strings off? If you cut them off before you load the roll, doesn't it fall apart before you reach you destination?

You cut the strings after you have reached your destination, but before you start unrolling the bale.

Hey Frenchie,

Took some pics of Honey's homemade 'Hay-mobile' today when I was choring.

Sorry they're kind of hard to see. The skyline is so light in comparison with the subject matter of the photo that it fools the camera into darkening the subject matter.

Anyway, didn't cost much for Honey to make, as he had most of the raw materials on hand.

Oh my God. Just got a phone call Honey's been in a car accident gotta go to town to the hospital.

CattleAnnie,

You and 'Honey' are in my thoughts and prayers. I truly hope everything is ok with your husband.

CattleAnnie":1ut3qugl said:
Oh my God. Just got a phone call Honey's been in a car accident gotta go to town to the hospital.

Stefi, Hope Honey is OK. Our prayers are and will be with him.

Latest posts