Triclopyr - For Killing Mesquite/Locust Trees

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasShooter

Reaction score
I wanted to post back on the board based on my research and success using this forum. The results were outstanding and for those that get something from this post I am passing along what I learned here and hope that it might help someone else.

4 weeks ago I did a basel spray (8-10 in. spray around every trunk) on mainly mesquite and locust trees 6' and under. I would say 99 percent kill ratio on 200-300 trees. Purchasing more as I have another 100+ acres where the trees need to go. Outstanding product and great price! Would highly recommend.

Link
http://www.solutionsstores.com/Triclopyr_4EC_Gallon_with_Triclopyr_p/triclopyr-4.htm

Bought 4 - 1 gallon sprayers from Walmart - $8

In each sprayer I put...
1 Golf ball - for the agitator
1 gallon of diesel
4 oz dishwashing soap
4 to 6oz Tricloypr (61%) - I was trying to stretch out the solution as far as I could. With my test, I got the same kill ratio with 4 oz as I did with the 6 oz. This was substantially lower than what the recommendation is, however, in my testing in July/Aug the end result was outstanding.

It works great on sweetgum and locust here also. Need to try the lower rates and see if I can make it a little more cost effective.

If you did this 4 weeks ago, what you got a 99% defoliation , you will not know the actual percentage of kill till next year or the following year. Just my experience from spraying mesquite. Also you do not want to remove the tops till next year because the roots are still absorbing the herbicide.

On the locust 3inches and down I cut em off at the ground and paint the stump with 1/2 remedy 1/2 diesel. Works great and been doing it for several years.
Thanks for the tip, I may try that on some of the bigger ones.

Cowboy, good point. I didn't spray the folage...Just the stumps (all the way around) approx 1-3 ft from the ground. They sure look dead...if not, it sure put a major "hurt" on them. I did read somewhere you have to wait 3 months before taking it down. You mentioned don't remove to next year...I sure was hoping to take them out this fall sometime.
Have you had experience where they appeared dead and come back after 3+ months?
Does anyone know a quick way to determine if they are indeed dead...all the way to the roots?

Isomade":cc5e1rc0 said:
On the locust 3inches and down I cut em off at the ground and paint the stump with 1/2 remedy 1/2 diesel. Works great and been doing it for several years.

Isomade - Thanks for tip. I believe that would even use less solution on the smaller trees...I will have to try that out on my next round of trees this week or weekend. Just got another gallon in the mail yesterday.

My experience on spraying mesquite, in 2 weeks you will see the leaves die but next year you might see one side of the tree turn green. It takes a good year to know for sure if you killed it or not. I have in the last 6 years killed out over 100 acres of mesquite.
And still have some sprouting up here and there, but the sprouts are an easy kill. After a couple years you can bump the dead mesquite with the FIL and it will crumble. I use remedy and diesel fuel and a 30 gal sprayer on the 4 wheeler.

Cal

As the others have said, 3 months ain't nothing. You take them out at three months your problem will be worse than when you started. Instead of 100 large trees you will have 500 small trees. Let them stand for two years after spraying if you can and touch up any next year that have some regrowth. Your grass will start to come back with he skeletons standing. You have just started a lifelong hobby.

bird dog":3bf7qgeg said:
As the others have said, 3 months ain't nothing. You take them out at three months your problem will be worse than when you started. Instead of 100 large trees you will have 500 small trees. Let them stand for two years after spraying if you can and touch up any next year that have some regrowth. Your grass will start to come back with he skeletons standing. You have just started a lifelong hobby.

:nod: :nod:

Cal

I have for three yrs now tried to find a product that will kill ASH and PECAN sprouts. Remedy, Cimmaron can't seem to knock the suckers out.Just seem to turn the leaves yellow and doesn't seem to knock them out. Increased ratio of chemical, sprayed and followed up with spray again after 3-4 weeks. Even brush-hogged and then sprayed! Haven't tried to basil spraying them do to the fact that it would take forever! They range from 1/2 inch to 3 inches in diameter. At wits end!

Keep in mind that for many of these herbicides, it's all in the labeling. For example, 41% glyphosate is commonly known as Roundup. But there are many other herbicides that purport to do the same thing, like Tractor Supply's "Big 'n Tuf" and another one called "Eraser." All of these are the same thing as Roundup: 41% glyphosate. There is absolutely no difference.

Same thing with 61% Triclopyr. Remedy is 61% Triclopyr. The one you listed is a little cheaper, it's about $89.95 at TSC. But I don't know if there's a shipping cost in there.

50/50 is WAY too much. I've killed many mesquites, from 2 to 25 feet tall, with basal spraying of 25% Remedy, 75% diesel. It's important to completely spray completely around the trunk, from the ground up to 2-3 feet. And those trees are dead. Very dead. There have been a couple of instances where the whole tree died, and there was one green branch sticking out of it, but just spraying the lower part of that branch did the trick.

Incidentally, this 25/75 mix will kill prickly pear cactus, too. Spray the entire cactus, getting both sides of the leaves. Don't miss any of it. Takes a few months to die completely, but I've been doing it 3 years and haven't seen any survivors yet. The stuff works.

I have been advised that a 20%-80% mix is sufficient, but haven't tried it yet, but will. Every bit helps, where cost is concerned.

LimoX":28wdg9bk said:
I have for three yrs now tried to find a product that will kill ASH and PECAN sprouts. Remedy, Cimmaron can't seem to knock the suckers out.Just seem to turn the leaves yellow and doesn't seem to knock them out. Increased ratio of chemical, sprayed and followed up with spray again after 3-4 weeks. Even brush-hogged and then sprayed! Haven't tried to basil spraying them do to the fact that it would take forever! They range from 1/2 inch to 3 inches in diameter. At wits end!
I discussed this with a CT member with professional forester background/experience via PM recently, regarding a different woody species, and he said mowing them, then spraying is the wrong thing to do.
You need to be careful mowing it. Trees are different than grasses and if mowed or cut back they will go into some sort of a defense mode where chemical will not kill them. Ie, if you cut down an oak tree and don't paint the stump within a day or so, it will resprout and chemical will not kill it till it gets about 3 years growth on it.

My apologies for posting PM'd info, but Perhaps, he will see this and weigh in on the subject with more of his expertise.

We have been mixing 8oz Remedy to 1 gal diesel and spraying new growth mesquites that are trying to come up after I have dozed them and ran a disc over them. We are spraying completely around the base and I would say about 99.7 kill right now.

Trees For Graziers

Livestock production with honey locust agroforestry