trash trash trash

Help Support CattleToday:

samm

Reaction score
it has been really windy for several months around here, and i am amazed at the fence rows full of trash blown from who knows where. and the plastic walmart/dollar store/grocery store bags hanging and blowing on the tree branches or on the fences, some look to have been there for some time all torn and faded kinda like some freakish halloween decorations. and them dang mylar type helium ballons i find 1 or 2 of them in the tanks or hung on the fences every spring usually a valentine one or a st.patricks day..i have plenty of my own stuff to keep up with, so i wish people would just secure thier trash, it aint that hard to put it in a trash bag, and dispose of it. everyso often i find golf balls in the pasture, i am not really sure where they came from, but there they are. so everyone please pick up your trash, and dont knock golf balls into others pastures.
thanks for giving me the opportunity to do a little venting.
samm

Back when Katrina ripped thru, even in my part of the country we had damage. Lost a big ol hackberry tree. While I was on the hill doing cleanup, I kept finding golfballs. Now there are only 3 in my family that care anything about golf, me, my wife, and 16 yr. old stepson. I know I didn't do it, and when asked the wife said she didn't either. HMMM. Of course all knowledge of said balls were a mystery. :roll:

I was sitting here reading a letter to the editor in our local paper today. A local farmer was talking about having her 3 1/2 month old calf die for no apparent reason. Upon decomposition of the calf they found a plastic Wal-Mart bag in the calfs throat, twisted as if trying over and over to swallow it. It is sad that people don't think about the little things that are affected by trash. Even the smallest piece could kill. Please don't throw your trash out the window and even if it is not yours pick it up the life you save could be your next meal.

for real. stupid kids and balloons. if they cant hang on to a balloon they are too stupid to have one.

Glad to see this topic, gives me a chance to vent a little. My place has over a half mile of road frontage and creek flowing through it. Last weekend I noticed one of my heifers sniffing a Walmart bag that had blown in. Another heifer thinking the first had found something good came charging over to take it away. Luckily, I was close enough to chase them away and get the bag. I went to the shed and got a some empty 100 lb feed sacks and started picking up garbage along my side of the fence near the road. Two hours later I had three bags full of beer bottles, pop cans, plastic bags, McDonalds cups, you name it. And I hadn't even started on the creek banks. What people don't throw in the creek upstream they heave out the window when they go past. I'm sure most don't even consider the cattle but it sure seemed like a waste of a nice Springlike day and this is something I must do at least once a month. I'll probably wait till the end of the Spring flood season before getting to involved with the creek.

we have roadside ditches that drain into our pastures. i've started recycling cans.

neighbor's must think its mandatory too release at least one walmart bag into the public :( if i ride thru my pastures picking up trash $20 say's one of them will be a walmart bag. maybe we should sue them for property disfigurment ;-)

Today and tomorrow will be two of the worst days. It's the first of the month. For those of you who don't live in poor areas, that means it check day. It's hard to find a parking spot in the Walmart lot or the post office today.

Balloons are a pet peave of mine also. Believe it or not, some of the church youth groups and others let them go on purpose with little tags so that those that find them can call in the location. Great fun for the kids but it's misguided fun. I'm sure if I were to put an item in the local paper asking that they cease and desist, I would be labeled as a heartless ogre. :roll:

other peoples rubish is a bain of my life to. Why do manufaturers have to put things in two lots of packaging and then people not dispose of it properly, and the binmen are just as bad if a bag breaks they leave all the rubish where it falls, I can't see why they can't pick it up and place it in the dust cart. and why people let their children throw rubish on the ground and say nothing, I make mine pick it up even if it is an accident that they droped it, and put it in a bin or a pocket until we get home it doesn't take much and keeps the neighbourhood clean. And one thing that really gets to me is when you see someone spit on the pavement why not use a paper hankie and dispose of it in the toilet at home.
just one more and then I will shut up, the tops off of the beer cans the plastic ones that hold a 4 or 6 pack don;t throw them away whole cut them up as they get stuck around the necks of small animals and birds and it is not a pleasant sight to see a bird strangled by one, or a kitten :mad:

Hasbeen":106t6g78 said:
Today and tomorrow will be two of the worst days. It's the first of the month. For those of you who don't live in poor areas, that means it check day. It's hard to find a parking spot in the Walmart lot or the post office today.

oh yay. check day! that means more scratch off lottery LOSERS for me too pick up.

Garbage is a very sore spot for my folks and I.

Four years ago, the town fathers in all their wisdom decided to upgrade the tiny rural dump on Dad's grazing leased quarter directly west and uphill of his ranch.

It is now an 'Uber Dump' for the entire district. They suspended his right to run cattle on it, and there's now acres and acres of garbage where he used to summer his cattle.

To add insult to injury, the folks have been fighting with the district for years now to have this fenced off as that westerly wind blows everything from styrofoam packing peanuts to grocery bags into the hayfields and hanging from the tops of the trees.

They have finally managed to pester the district enough to install 12 foot high mesh around the dumping zone, but still have yet to convince them that a cover fence is needed, as the wind carries a lot of garbage over the fence.

I won't even get into the fact that Dad's dugout for the house is filled by springtime water runoff, and that this dump is at a higher altitude than their ranch.

The whole thing is a crying shame, as the folks developed their land from raw bush into a beautiful place. Now their property values has sunk not only to potential buyers should they ever decide to move to town, but most importantly to themselves, as they have to contend with the filth of an entire town 'next door'.

Take care.

Seems like the Walmart bag problem is everywhere. You can bet that the day after any given holiday I will be out picking up bottle rocket and other fireworks debris from my yard. The dummy behind me shoots them off on every hoilday along with his assortment of weapons. Also hate it when the other dummy down the road places his plastic garbage bags out for pickup the next day. Guess he never heard of yotes and dogs dragging them off and ripping them open overnight. And always get ripped open in my pasture. :mad:

Hasbeen":394ynw77 said:

Glad to know someone else knows to stay home on the first of the month.... :devil2:

I have some names that i call people who throw their trash out their car or truck window, and even stop and set garbage bags out on the side of the road. he!! i even see old couches,stoves,and iceboxes. I happen to live in the first house on a gravel road. I pay $30 a month for trash pickup and most of it is other people's trash i pick up out of the ditches and out of the fence.

Cal

I remember the days that we had very little garbage here. Then this area became popular for acreages. Now especially after a Chinook wind blows there is always garbage.
Mind you we spent the summer picking up garbage after our flood last year and I'm sure we'll be finding more as it becomes unburied for many years to come. :(

This is a post that should also keep going. I for one think anyone that throws out trash should spend several days picking trash up. I even hate it when people throw out the plastic wrap to cigarette(sp) packs. You know the one I am talking about the little silver or gold string, it is a hazard to all small animals. Speak up AMERICA, SHOW your PRIDE, CLEAN UP!

Haven't yet figured out why people who drink bottled water toss the plastic bottles out of their cars...always thought they'd be less inclined to litter. And soda cans 15' or so INTO the pasture...gotta be intentional! I go up and down our road filling plastic bags with garbage, even found somebody's underwear once....now that's scary! Not to mention disgusting.

Latest posts