Trade Deal With Japan

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
The trade deal with Japan shows that they will import 240,000 tons of beef per year. That should equal about 1,315,000 lbs per day. How many cows will it take each day to provide this beef. If my figures are right it would be about 1878 head per day. Someone else figure this and see what you come up with. I figured 700 lbs of beef for each cow slaughtered.

I wonder if that is beef that passes through the US, which is still considered US beef no matter where the carcass came from.

HDRider said:
I wonder if that is beef that passes through the US, which is still considered US beef no matter where the carcass came from.

Dam good question

I don't know for sure about pass through beef but it may be a moot point. I think greybeard nailed it when he included "the type of beef Japan has traditionally wanted" because my limited understanding is that they really want the grain fed US beef as opposed to something like a Brazilian product. I know I have definitely heard on Feeder Flash that the Chinese are starting to develop a taste for the grain fed US product.

If I'm incorrect please let me know, I really enjoy reading up on the different trade deals that are being worked on.

Sorry I didn't really address anything from the original post :\

hurleyjd said:
The trade deal with Japan shows that they will import 240,000 tons of beef per year. That should equal about 1,315,000 lbs per day. How many cows will it take each day to provide this beef. If my figures are right it would be about 1878 head per day. Someone else figure this and see what you come up with. I figured 700 lbs of beef for each cow slaughtered.

How do you get 700 lbs of beef from a cow? Are you talking about the whole hanging carcass?

jschoolcraft86 said:
I don't know for sure about pass through beef but it may be a moot point. I think greybeard nailed it when he included "the type of beef Japan has traditionally wanted" because my limited understanding is that they really want the grain fed US beef as opposed to something like a Brazilian product. I know I have definitely heard on Feeder Flash that the Chinese are starting to develop a taste for the grain fed US product.

If I'm incorrect please let me know, I really enjoy reading up on the different trade deals that are being worked on.

Sorry I didn't really address anything from the original post :\
I guess we could SWAG all day.

bball said:
HDRider said:

Dam good question

Too bad no one is asking, or answering that question that has any power in the game. Prolly all smoke and mirrors, lies and pay-ola.

shaz said:
hurleyjd said:

How do you get 700 lbs of beef from a cow? Are you talking about the whole hanging carcass?
Probable would be the hot hanging caucus. After processing and packaging you would have about 527 lbs of beef. This would be from a 1400 lb animal. If using these figures you would need about four head for each ton. Not as good at figuring any more how about some of you math wizards help me out here.

That is a good deal from Japan no matter how you look at it. Now if we could get the Chinese to acquire a taste for beef. It seems China does not want to invest in USA, but expects up to buy billions of their junk. They either would become a better trading partner or I would cut my loses as we are doing and move on to other countries who would become a better trading partner...

My rough calculations comes up to 2000 - 2500 head per day /365 days a year. That will allow for differences in hanging weight etc. That's quite a bit of beef. It seems like an awful lot of beef for that small of a nation, even with the numbers of people they have.
Sure hope the calculations are close to right.... we might have a light at the end of the tunnel yet.

Latest posts