Too much grass

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Really late spring, but 1.5" of rain last night and cool season forage is exploding. No blooms yet except for dandelions. Looking into buying some grass cattle. Corn price volatility has some folks spooked.

I wish I had that problem. The cold wet continued weather has stunted everything. As I type its 51 degrees and pouring rain, by the middle of the week we may have high temps in the 40s again. Still heating the house with the wood stove and feeding some hay and baleage to the cows.

Turned off the wood heat last week. :banana: No hay feeding here, but we are seeing some cull pairs and grass cattle coming down from the northern border. They were dry for two years, and now I think they are out of forage up there.

An old French trick is to apply 30 to 40# of actual N when the trees start to leaf out. "Heats up the soil" when the biology is still asleep. Should move turn out up about 2 weeks, and extra forage should cost less than 2 cents per lb. DM.

Got most of fertilizer out on Thursday and Friday. Couple fields and majority of pastures never got done as plant wasn't open for loading on Saturday - lazy people and Ma Nature's excess water saved me from spending an extra $3k. Got 1.6" from that system. More than enough to cement a decent hay drop for the season. Time for two dry hot months ahead. Fields have been growing at 1-2" every day this week. Down to one cow left to calve. Had 91% in first cycle, and all but this last one in a month's time. Will be sending girls to their summer homes this week and next.

I would say corn prices are as cheap today as they are going to be for quite awhile. Lots of ground here that never got planted. We never warmed up till June now cool again this week. The corn that did get in is just emerging. Easily the latest corn crop in my lifetime.

Talking heads are telling users to lock in corn for 2019, and for producers to presell some corn for 2020. Who knows.

In theory, higher corn prices increases VOG and makes grazing stockers more profitable. :nod: Need to play the rebound.

Tried to buy some cattle yesterday. Ended up with 8 head. Plenty of bidders. Kill buyers wanted heavy breds for fetal blood, and bought most of the big fall calvers, paying up to about 70 cents...

Apparently they draw blood out of the umbilical cord for lab use. I was told it is being used to grow fake meat?

They like fleshy breds - - fall calvers and dairy replacements currently. Paying about $250 for an unborn calf...

Stocker Steve said:
Apparently they draw blood out of the umbilical cord for lab use. I was told it is being used to grow fake meat?

They like fleshy breds - - fall calvers and dairy replacements currently. Paying about $250 for an unborn calf...
Thanks for the info. Must be a specialized thing.

kenny thomas said:
Stocker Steve said:

Thanks for the info. Must be a specialized thing.

At least 2 major cow packers been harvesting the fetal blood for over 2 years. According to Wikipedia, it is normally drawn from the heart of calf from just killed cows. They have been paying at least 5 cents over top kill value for many heavy bred cows. Packers are bidding a lot of the profit out of the last calf heifers. Bovine fetal blood serum is for sale on the net for $349/500 ml and up. Not sure how much of this blood they get from a heavy bred cow but they are sure willing to pay for it.

Texas PaPaw" Bovine fetal blood serum is for sale on the net for $349/500 ml and up. Not sure how much of this blood they get from a heavy bred cow but they are sure willing to pay for it. [/quote said:
What are the major uses?

I had a kill buyer tell me that they harvest that blood at least 10 years ago. I have no idea how or what they were doing with it. But if it has value you can bet those kill plants are taking advantage of it.

Stocker Steve said:
Texas PaPaw" Bovine fetal blood serum is for sale on the net for $349/500 ml and up. Not sure how much of this blood they get from a heavy bred cow but they are sure willing to pay for it. [/quote said:
What are the major uses?

Steve, here's an article that google found that explains a lot of the uses. As I understand fetal blood serum is used in medical research, vaccine production and many other uses including base cells for fake meat.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2017/07/why_is_fetal_cow_blood_used_to_grow_fake_meat.html

Texas PaPaw" At least 2 major cow packers been harvesting the fetal blood for over 2 years. According to Wikipedia said:
I thought of you as I watched kill buyers load up on fall calving cows this week. (August thru early September is fall here).

Seemed like 65 to 70 cents was not a problem.

Three blk steers - - U$S 140 for 615#. Prices climbed during the sale. No deals.
Two solid mouth blk bred cows, one sloppy n close up, for $ 985. Prices dropped a lot at the end. I think some buyers left. Fall prices for this kind have been around $950.
Three bwf bred heifers, two sloppy n close up, for $ 1,075. I think I did well on this group. Fall prices on this kind have been around $1150.

I calve May/June so the breds should fit, and Wally should be happy.

One of the few BTOs around here is into Wheat this year.....it was corn last year...don't remember the previous year. On too much grass, I had that problem with my winter crops. Didn't bother to rake initially. Ran the tedder right after I cut and a couple more times. Had hay scattered everywhere. Just drove my roller in there and made the prettiest bales I ever made....course I did come back and rake up some WWs after I had some room to rake.

Latest posts