Too much Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
Last year around this time I posted a message about a Bull throwing an equal amount of heifers to bull calves. Last year we had 7 calves, all bulls (with great market prices). So far this year we have 3 bulls and 1 heifer. I'll do the math, same bull has thrown 10 bull calves and 1 hiefer... no bull. Sorry about the pun but I'm not that upset about it yet. Just wondering if it is possible for a bull to throw that kind of ratio.

We have 4 calves to go this year, my best two cows yet to calf. I think the Bull is a nice bull, a very easy calving bull (knock on wood) and the calves have a pretty decent growth rate. As you can see by the size of my herd easy calving is more important to me than 600 lb weanlings, and he's paid for.

Any thoughts?

Alan (Father of 4 sons, 0 daughters)

One of our bulls that we are having calves from this year has had 23 calves so far and only 2 males (1 which is debatable if it is his). So yes that kind of ratio is possible.

Sounds like your bull takes after you. :p ;-)

my calves seem to come in cycles. I have consistently gotten a good mix. Can you see a pattern
2005:
1 bull
3 Heifers
1 left to calve
Others: 4 doelings and 1 Buckling

2004:
3 Bulls
1 Heifer

2 heifers
1 Bull

1 Bull

1 Heifer

This year is a heifer year... which is good cause the price of cows is up and now i dont have to buy any for next year... even my dairy cow had a heifer.

anyone else see patterns like this?

Just had a Heifer Calf Yesterday... 80 pound calf unassisted birth in an 9 year old Highland cow.

Shelby
http://www.promiselandranch.net

In 2003 with the current bull I have I had 12 of 14 calves bulls. In 2004 with the same bull I got 9 heifers and 6 bulls, go figure.

Sample size can distort the ratios for smaller producers.That is not to say that certain sires might be a little off the magic 50/50 ratio.Most larger producers know that the #'s average out.Know of a Reg. Angus breeder whose first 14 calves were heifers his first year in business.And having a lot of bull/steer calves in one season usually makes the banker(a.k.a. Momma) a lot happier.Don't place to much significance on a # that is not statistically sound.

kind of amazing how that works sometimes... last year i had one bull that threw 80% bulls and another 80 % heifers... this year i only have the bull that threw heifers last year, and this year he is throwing about 80% bulls... beats me :roll: i guess he is averaging things out :lol:

jt

Just an update, 2nd best cow (by epd's) gave us another bull calf this morning. Our bull is now at 11 bulls 1 heifer. This nice thing is that once the water bag starts to show the calves are on the ground in 20 minutes without any help and if I don't get shots on board in the next 20 to 30 minutes forget it, no catching them. 93 lb bull calf this morning. So I like our Bull pretty well.

Hope I didn't just jinx myself :eek:

Alan

Alan,
Congrats on yet another bull calf.:) Our bull is the same way, super easy calver. We would be more upset about all the heifers but we have been wanting to keep heifers so we haven't minded that he mostly has girls. Last year he was the same way. Should be interesting what he does next year. We bought 8 purebred red angus and he is in with them (he is purebred too) and we are hoping for 8 heifers to grow our herd. Of course we are expecting him to throw heifers with the commercial and bulls with the purebreds! :lol:

Not that this matters much, but had another calf this morning. Our bull has now thrown 12 bull calves and 1 hiefer in his first two years...two cows to go. Only have one cow that I'm hoping for a hiefer out of, the other I'll probably cull with the weanling bulls anyway.

Alan

Latest posts