Too Mineral or not...

Help Support CattleToday:

I've only ever done salt blocks, but I know that loose salt is more beneficial and they absorb more of the nutrients. How do you all administer the loose minerals? I have a feeling a rubber pan will end up dumped over real fast....

I've only ever done salt blocks, but I know that loose salt is more beneficial and they absorb more of the nutrients. How do you all administer the loose minerals? I have a feeling a rubber pan will end up dumped over real fast....
This is what I use. I occasionally have to replace the top (because there's always one that steps on it) but they're sturdy, going on 12 years. Calves learn to flip up the top at an early age. The only problem I have is the dang racoons are crafty (and evil!) enough to actually open the pin so they're able to remove the top for easier access.

B&W Big Blaze Mineral Feeder | B And W | NRS (nrsworld.com)

Bolt the rubber pan in a wagon tire. In the pasture I just put loose min in one end of the feed bunk, or use a mineral feeder with a curtin.

@Silver - Dun's feeders!!! Would you believe he got that from ME!! I got it from Hudson Pines Farms (multi-billionaire farm). I had one hanging in every field - still are. But, I have gotten high-tech and use the feeders by Vigortone - very similar to @TCRanch 's.
That's interesting! We got these feeders decades ago from an old guy that made all sorts of things including free standing panels and horse hay feeders in his back yard.

We always put out bags of loose minerals. They will consume what they need. And always have salt blocks out. I offer them iodized blocks and sulfur blocks. Again they'll pick what they need. There's no way that they can consume what they require grime a trace mineral salt block. Jmo 👍🏼😊

depends where you , lived in northern pa old man & me never fed anything but loose salt or trace mineral, never had any problem, moved to northern mo had to feed minerals free choice & vaccinate cows about 6-8 weeks before freshening or would have calf pneumonia bad

These things work very well and are durable. No more dumped mineral feeders and are portable for rotational grazing operations. You can also get fly strips to go on them for use during the fly and tick seasons. Well worth the $$.

I just cut the sidewall off one side of a tire. Then bolt a piece of aluminum to the bottom of the tie. Then fill the tire with mineral. I might just have hopeful thinking but I swear I see weight gains from feeding mineral? I feel like I can tell when it's empty just based on how my cattle look?.Their coats are definitely improved with steady mineral. I've always fed it though and pinkeye and calving issues have been slim to none for me.

Yes, for best performance you will want to always have a mineral out.
Yes I keep good mineral out, but over the years I question 32 bucks a bag, at intake of 4 oz a day.
Every year at looking back at expenses, it's not just a small cost.
They might have us all scared into not doing it, but is it worth the risk to not?
Guess I should look at university research and see maybe.

If you have a lot of legumes in your pasture you might could get by without mineral in the growing season since legumes are more mineral rich than grass, but not in the winter. 32 bucks a bag? here the purina wind and rain is about 20 a bag

@Rgv3180 - Yes - do check out University research. I think you will find exactly what the majority on here are saying. Mineral is something you cannot do without - IF - you have a management program on your farm.
Here is an article on Managing Consumption of Mineral - page 17 in my newsletter:

Attachments

• Newsltr - 2020 Sept-Oct complete sm.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 24

Latest posts