Too Mineral or not...

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have a Small young heard of commercial beef cattle. They are primarily grass feed with some sweet feed on occasion. I have placed a couple salt blocks for them, should i place other minerals out there with them or is it not necessary?

Do some soil samples to find what is short in your area. Can save you a lot of money on fertilizer, and mineral.

If I'm not mistaken, my cows eat about 2 bags of mineral apiece per year. I've never not fed mineral. My dad only fed trace for 60 years or more. Couldn't tell a nickels worth of difference in his place and mine. I still feed it though.

TM blocks are what my cows are forced to make do on. I am fortunate to live in an area with no natural major deficiencies or over concentrations.

Last edited:
You can't afford to not skimp out on the mineral. A person doesn't know what problems they already have when they're selling themselves--and their herd--short on mineral until they invest in some minerals for their animals. I too am a firm believer. That little extra cost in mineral pays for itslf in the end, even if you don't see the benefits immediately.

I veiw minerals like vaccinations. You can get by without them in some areas and not in others. But either way they are a small part of the cost of keep cattle. But over time they will eventually save you money.
Agreed Dave, I still remember how many calves we doctored for scours and respiratory problems at calving and weaning before we got our mineral and vaccination protocols right.

I have a Small young heard of commercial beef cattle. They are primarily grass feed with some sweet feed on occasion. I have placed a couple salt blocks for them, should i place other minerals out there with them or is it not necessary?
Very important to offer free choice minerals. They will only consume what they need. The first time you put minerals out they are apt to consume a lot! 😊 but keep them in front of them and the consumption will slow down after their systems balance out.

Definitely use loose minerals, we skipped one year and had our herd break out in Pink Eye for the first time ever, we'd had cattle 30 year's, never had Pink eye until we skipped the one year with mineral. That was a few years ago and we have been feeding mineral ever since and no more pink eye!

Latest posts