Tom Cats

Help Support CattleToday:

CKC1586

Reaction score
Any "secrets" as to keeping stray Toms away? They like to mark the corners of my house and have really stunk things up in the barn too. About to round up (live trap) everything I got and get rid of them all and figure something else out for rodents/mice in the barn. :?

Put the trap in large plastic bag, get some ducting and duct tape. Connect to running vehicle exhaust. Much cleaner to dispose of.

I found once you get rid of most the problem goes away until a new one shows up.

However you handle them, be well protected. Last one I got rid of was pretty cocky, coming right onto the deck and beating up my tom cat (which is the most sedated intact-tom ever, never leaves the property and never puts out his claws). Took 3 shots to the head with .22 to finally cash out. You would be surprised how much adrenaline starts pumping in them and how vicious they can be when the first shot hits.

CKC1586":13hbcufm said:
Any "secrets" as to keeping stray Toms away? They like to mark the corners of my house and have really stunk things up in the barn too. About to round up (live trap) everything I got and get rid of them all and figure something else out for rodents/mice in the barn. :?

If they're truly strays and you know they belong to noone have mercy on them and shoot'em. No need to catch, bag and torture the thing. Let the buzzards clean it up.

Cut them and turn them loose. They will be three county's over by the time they are healed . Get you a rubber boot and some welding gloves . Drop him head first in the rubber boot . Have a buddy hold down on his two back legs . Sharp knife and no more spraying .

In these tough times, sure would hate to be wasteful, you might have enough to make a full fur coat, a hat and matching gloves. :cowboy:

cats are also used in the international fur trade,[192] for making coats, gloves, hats, shoes, blankets and stuffed toys. About 24 cats are needed to make a cat fur coat.

JSCATTLE":1zymtr2t said:
Cut them and turn them loose. They will be three county's over by the time they are healed . Get you a rubber boot and some welding gloves . Drop him head first in the rubber boot . Have a buddy hold down on his two back legs . Sharp knife and no more spraying .
I've seen my Dad do the in the boot trick, but these rat bastards are rarely seen, come in the dark of the night and mark. Have had my helper do some culling but the strays / night raiders are stinking the place up. :bang:

if you have an un spade female cat they will keep coming, if all of yours get fixed
toms will no longer show up and spay, I had 2 hanging a round + others coming threw, all of mine got fixed and the toms left and I have not seen them since
couple years now Suzanne

Ditto to what Suzanne said. We have two spayed females at home and they're both excellent mousers. No toms, no litters of kittens... it's great. As to dispatching the toms; antifreeze or strychninne would certainly work but neither are a nice way to go. Antifreeze = kidney failure, strychninne = muscle rigidity and aphyixiation. Not their fault they're not wanted and you've obviously got a feline paradise in your barn... even strays deserve a humane end. Just shoot them (in a trap or out); no need to torture them. JMO.

milkmaid":qj7myqm8 said:
Ditto to what Suzanne said. We have two spayed females at home and they're both excellent mousers. No toms, no litters of kittens... it's great. As to dispatching the toms; antifreeze or strychninne would certainly work but neither are a nice way to go. Antifreeze = kidney failure, strychninne = muscle rigidity and aphyixiation. Not their fault they're not wanted and you've obviously got a feline paradise in your barn... even strays deserve a humane end. Just shoot them (in a trap or out); no need to torture them. JMO.
Got to agree with milkmaid. I don't mind killing but I don't like causing pain needlessly.
Shoot them.

I do not like to torture any animal.
But on the other hand I have a problem with ferral cats.
So I just named them all "target" and I get a lot of target practice with my 22 mag.
Bought a case of 30 grain V-Max Hornady and those little suckers will fly and pretty good expansion on a cat's head.

Cal

I have seen a cat elevate a good 3 feet into the air and come down completely dead after being it with a .22 short. I'm not saying the bullet did it, but reaction to the bullet.

Anyway it was a sight to behold.

My barn cats are good hunters and have done a pretty good job, there are two that I can probably get my hands on to take them in to get things fixed and plan to do that, will need to trap the third girl to get the job done, will the vet appreciate me taking a less than friendly patient to him??
Had thought about the "baiting" thing but don't think I have the stomach for it.

I am not one to case un-needed suffering but where do you draw the line? These aren't the neighbor girls sweet little tabby.

We poison mice, rats, gophers. We poison insets. We shoot coyotes. We brand, castrate and dehorn our cattle with no anesthesia. where do we draw the line between what is acceptable suffering and unacceptable suffering?

I like cats much more than dogs, but would have no problem using whatever means I had to eradicate an invasion of vermin whih these cats are.

Am I wrong?

We have the same problem too. Cats get dumped here all of the time and they go wild. They come to my barn because I feed my cats in the evening. I have a live trap and take them to the pound where they euthanize them. The ones that can't be trapped are shot.

I would not poison with antifreeze. I've seen what it does to an animal when I worked at the vet. It is horrible.

Latest posts