Tom Cats

Help Support CattleToday:

It might take some patience and "stalking", but I've always gotten rid of the problem with a 22 rifle.

Put a hole in my sliding barn door once but I got rid of the dang tomcat.... HATE that smell in my barn!!

Some have been feral and I haven't had any problems with doing it, the ones I hate to shoot are the ones that will come up to you and want to be petted cuz somebody has dropped them off!!!!

LazyARanch":hs1au4to said:
It might take some patience and "stalking", but I've always gotten rid of the problem with a 22 rifle.

Put a hole in my sliding barn door once but I got rid of the dang tomcat.... HATE that smell in my barn!!

Some have been feral and I haven't had any problems with doing it, the ones I hate to shoot are the ones that will come up to you and want to be petted cuz somebody has dropped them off!!!!

That's what the last one I shot was like. Wanted to be petted, but like clockwork, when you go to pet him the third time, he would try to bite my hand. No place for that BS around here.

most countys have a ferel cat fix them program, catch cat in trap,drop it off
they fix mark the ear like cattle ,then you take them back and dump them out,
so check with your local animal shelters, they will take them to fix scratching and biting as they know what they are doing, between me and the neighbor we took 7 at once
Suzanne

suzorse":1gqfknak said:
most countys have a ferel cat fix them program, catch cat in trap,drop it off
they fix mark the ear like cattle ,then you take them back and dump them out,
so check with your local animal shelters, they will take them to fix scratching and biting as they know what they are doing, between me and the neighbor we took 7 at once
Suzanne

Wish they would do something like that here , I would gladly do that instead of shooting them the strays ,as cats do keep the vermin population down . Our local SPCA has a 350 cat waiting list already and has no interesting in offering a free or even discounted spay and neuter program for cats . Vets around here will give you a 25% discount for a "rescue" cat but even then you are still looking at almost 250 for a spay and 200 for a neuter .

My heart breaks for the pets that are dumped here and I usually end up adopting them and neutering them out of my own pocket much to my husbands dismay . I do not know why the Toms even come here as everything on the place is spayed or neutered no mating to be had anywhere here . ;-)

Tater - tough question. Most of the rodenticides have anti-coagulant effects - eg the animal hemorrhages internally and bleeds to death. I don't know what (if?) the level of pain is but doesn't seem to be high enough to mention in class yet. I still think that kidney failure is a much more painful way to go as we see neurological effects, vomiting, and a buildup of toxins in circulation. There's also a much higher level of pain displayed with strychninne poisoning as opposed to the discomfort by a calf castrated without anesthesia. (There's a video it's been recommended the toxicology class watch if we're up for it - 1080, strychninne, etc - and I'm told it's not pleasant.) My current thinking is that it is not feasible to trap/catch/shoot mice whereas it isn't that difficult to shoot a cat-sized target or trap them.

Still think a well placed bullet is best...instant death!!!! That being said, I keep a livetrap out and have caught my own darn cats a few times but will usually get the visitor. Probably got some mad neighbors up the road 5 or 6 miles but I haul them up there and turn them out and let them feed them for a while. ;-)

TexasBred":3qva5hjo said:
Still think a well placed bullet is best...instant death!!!! That being said, I keep a livetrap out and have caught my own darn cats a few times but will usually get the visitor. Probably got some mad neighbors up the road 5 or 6 miles but I haul them up there and turn them out and let them feed them for a while. ;-)

So basically you are just co sharing strays . :lol: :p

hillsdown":1mnqr4pn said:
TexasBred":1mnqr4pn said:

Actually it's more like "capture and relocate" to an area that has children that LOVE cats and other animals. SPCA won't do anything but spay or neuter then euthanize.

hillsdown":bmv1y3d4 said:
TexasBred":bmv1y3d4 said:

Well put. :)

We are ate up with feral housecat's wood's are full of them.
I try to apply 22 mag on everyone I see. People have no clue how bad they mess up the ecosystem.

Caustic Burno":mzgetpsu said:
I try to apply 22 mag on everyone I see. People have no clue how bad they mess up the ecosystem.
Yesterday afternoon I noticed that one of my "catch and relocate" cats had returned....a big ol' Tom had made a two mile trip back to my house. Only took a 22 LR to get rid of him CB.....shot at him, looked like he jumped 3 feet straight up, ran like a rocket for about 40 yards and dropped.

TexasBred":1mcsb6im said:
Caustic Burno":1mcsb6im said:
Yesterday afternoon I noticed that one of my "catch and relocate" cats had returned....a big ol' Tom had made a two mile trip back to my house. Only took a 22 LR to get rid of him CB.....shot at him, looked like he jumped 3 feet straight up, ran like a rocket for about 40 yards and dropped.

Texas heart shot? ;-)

3waycross":1m9b7upu said:
TexasBred":1m9b7upu said:
Caustic Burno":1m9b7upu said:

Texas heart shot? ;-)

Actually I gut shot him but it was all planned. I didn't want him dieing the yard.

milkmaid":ka845lx2 said:
I had a tom travel 15 miles and cross a river to return...

I can top that. I had a feral tomcat chew his way out of a gunnysack in a river with ice blocks floating in it and travel 3 miles to come back to my house.

He DID NOT survive our second encounter! I remembered the big rock :cowboy:

I have the perfect cat that stay's in my barn from time to time.
Stay a week won't see it for three or four day's. It look's to be a cross between a bobcat and housecat.
Bobtail is marked like a bobcat and the rest kinda looks like a Tabby.
You dang sure aint going to pet it and I hate a cat that want's to rub on you.
Sleep's on the Massey tractor seat never got any closer than 15 to 20 feet from it.
DD is to big a coward to tie into it, if Ole Rube was still here that would be a dead cat or would involve a vet trip.

Latest posts