Big cats

Help Support CattleToday:

This was Tizia.. She didn't like the house cat either around her new calves.. after a while she was OK with them again though..

Our cows would chase the cat just for the fun of it usually.. same with the hens and the resident ravens that go around looking for some afterbirth.. They're especially fun to chase because they'll hop for a while before taking off

greybeard":3iu32o69 said:
TCRanch":3iu32o69 said:
greybeard":3iu32o69 said:
Your cattle are afraid of 'dillos?? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yes! Freaks them out when the 'dillos rear up on their hind legs & hop around and maybe they sense my pure hatred of them (they have destroyed our yard & the alfalfa field). But they completely ignore the wild turkeys that literally hang with the herd.

Uh oh....You let 'em read the comic books huh?

Armadillo-Marvel-Comics-Rodriguez-e.jpg

That creature is almost as nasty as the heathens destroying my ranch. Eweee!

Nesikep":2lrfolgt said:
This was Tizia.. She didn't like the house cat either around her new calves.. after a while she was OK with them again though..

Our cows would chase the cat just for the fun of it usually.. same with the hens and the resident ravens that go around looking for some afterbirth.. They're especially fun to chase because they'll hop for a while before taking off
Thanks for sharing the pic of Tizia-she sure is a gorgeous girl! Strikingly similar to a favorite cow of mine, both in color & size. I miss my girl very much.My other cows had a healthy respect for her.Big girls like that have quite a presence about them. Hope you were able to keep some of Tizia's babies.

reeler":1otg0ay0 said:
Nesikep":1otg0ay0 said:

Thanks for sharing the pic of Tizia-she sure is a gorgeous girl! Strikingly similar to a favorite cow of mine, both in color & size. I miss my girl very much.My other cows had a healthy respect for her.Big girls like that have quite a presence about them. Hope you were able to keep some of Tizia's babies.

She wasn't a bossy cow, and for her size, not much of a fighter.. It was actually quite hilarious.. She LOVED attention, but her smaller, older sister, who was arthritic and about 17 years old would just look at her sideways and she'd cower away.. respect your elders!. OR ELSE!!
Unfortunately I only have one daughter of hers, Mega, and I sold one bull I kept intact, Hector.. I may buy/trade him back in a while though, I really like the calves he's made... Hector has his mothers vigilance as well, he's pretty cool and laid back, usually babysitting... until there's an intruder of any kind and then the war is on..as a yearling he beat up an older longhorn bull, and as a 2 year old he sent a big Angus bull back through the fence from whence he came.. Of course round bales are excellent practice!!

Sister Rosie (Saler sired)

Hector at 4 years old

at 3 years old https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj3vC0oLJY0

Mega as a long yearling

One of Hectors calves.. IIRC momma is a Jersey Herf cross, calf looks like papa though

Yeah.. I like talking about my cows!

Nesikep":g4j0nupn said:
reeler":g4j0nupn said:
Nesikep":g4j0nupn said:

She wasn't a bossy cow, and for her size, not much of a fighter.. It was actually quite hilarious.. She LOVED attention, but her smaller, older sister, who was arthritic and about 17 years old would just look at her sideways and she'd cower away.. respect your elders!. OR ELSE!!
Unfortunately I only have one daughter of hers, Mega, and I sold one bull I kept intact, Hector.. I may buy/trade him back in a while though, I really like the calves he's made... Hector has his mothers vigilance as well, he's pretty cool and laid back, usually babysitting... until there's an intruder of any kind and then the war is on..as a yearling he beat up an older longhorn bull, and as a 2 year old he sent a big Angus bull back through the fence from whence he came.. Of course round bales are excellent practice!!

Sister Rosie (Saler sired)

Hector at 4 years old

at 3 years old https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj3vC0oLJY0

Mega as a long yearling

One of Hectors calves.. IIRC momma is a Jersey Herf cross, calf looks like papa though

Yeah.. I like talking about my cows!
Your cows are exquisite-that"s something to talk about!Glad you have Mega, hope you get Hector back. You are a blessed man indeed! Thanks for the pics.I'm partial to Red cows, so I especially enjoyed seeing them :D

Nesikep":3ummer6o said:
reeler":3ummer6o said:
I'm partial to Red cows
Me too!.. though some tan in there looks nice too..

Here's a steer, Limo sired with a Gelbvieh x Saler momma.. I wish I had found him a 4H home.. I sure liked his meaty butt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5DgVoecp_E
Gelbvieh :banana: Now you're talkin my language. That steer is one impressive dude! My husband & I started off with a Gelbvieh/Angus & maintained a red herd, but had to go to a black bull. Are all yours red?

I have a few roan cows showing their shorthorn influence still, but they're all getting pretty old.

That steer is Rosie's grandson from Cenci.. she's pretty chunky too, and has kept that look as a cow

Going back to cats.. I heard from a native fellow there's 4 of them in the area, and they've been eating a few dogs.. There's a momma with 2 big kittens, and a tom

Nesikep":aep15a7y said:
Well, last week my neighbor saw a very skinny looking cougar across the pagewire fence from her dogs...

Today I find one of my cows on the wrong side of the fence, bottom 2 strands were broken.. The bottom strand NEVER gets broken from them just fiddling, rubbing, and being a general PITA.. It sure sounds to me like they put the run on something, and they're plenty used to coyotes I doubt they would go through the bother with them.. the cow was Cenci, a stout cow that's built like a brick shythouse, and with 1/4 Saler blood and knowing how her mother was protective, I have little doubt she'd get steamed up about an intruder like that. I also know that I wouldn't want her mad at ME.

Keeping the rifles loaded for sure.
That big cat decides he really wants "Cenci" he will get her. :nod: :nod:

Guess it depends on the rest of the herd,.. if it's a stampede or he can't sneak up I don't think he's got good odds.. If one of them is away from the group that's a different situation of course

Thankfully there's easier meals out there.. the feral horses are so thin right now they hardly have any energy to run, and there's always the rez dogs out and about.. I know it has eaten a few of them!

True Grit Farms":rw8g1yzj said:
TCRanch":rw8g1yzj said:
Look up if you're missing a calf. Rancher not far from us was losing calves & the Game Warden said the cougars/mountain lions will stash them up in the trees (on the flip side they sometimes bury them). He checked his trees and found 2 calves.

Makes me wonder how many cats you've walked under, and why didn't they pounce on you? Jogeephus, had one stalking him through the woods awhile back for a mile or so. I'd be in a panic.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
That's a pretty unnerving thought.

I am not short on cats in my neighborhood. One of my coworkers had a big tom cross the road in front of him a couple miles from my summer pasture. Neighbors Mom had sheep and goats disappearing that were penned up at night. He set up a game camera. Got pictures of a cat jumping into the pen. And then another picture of the cat jumping out with a lamb in its mouth. Two years ago I had a 150 pound calf disappear without a trace. I am guessing that a cat got him. The field they were in borders on several hundreds of thousand of acres of timber ground. I have never seen a cat there but I have seen bears, elk, deer, coyotes, and about every other sort of wild critter.

There are times when cattle will fight back against a predator.For example, Google: Black bear attacks mother cow, herd fights back (8 Photos)

Nesikep":2xj7sojd said:
I have a few roan cows showing their shorthorn influence still, but they're all getting pretty old.

That steer is Rosie's grandson from Cenci.. she's pretty chunky too, and has kept that look as a cow

Going back to cats.. I heard from a native fellow there's 4 of them in the area, and they've been eating a few dogs.. There's a momma with 2 big kittens, and a tom
Nice pic, looks like calf's got wavy hair.
Prayers that your herd stays safe!

reeler":2hux4zd8 said:
There are times when cattle will fight back against a predator.For example, Google: Black bear attacks mother cow, herd fights back (8 Photos)
Those are OLD pictures, and were actually taken in BC from what I had heard.. though where is a bit of a question.. I heard in the Kootenays at one point, and in the Chilcotin another time... I'm at the southern edge of the Chilcotin area, but a long way from the kootenays..

Yes, those mommas were very upset with that bear, and he probably was sore for a long time after that. When it comes to defending, they will suddenly lose any fear of anything, and all bets are off at that point

Latest posts