Huckleberry Finn/Tom Sawyer

Help Support CattleToday:

MO_cows

Reaction score
Didn't want to hijack the other thread where this was mentioned. These books are being re-written and published without the "n" word and without "injun". Political correctness run amuck. Heaven forbid the kids who read these books for their assignment should get the opportunity to learn some real history, or to be proud of the advances that our society has made since those times. It's like touching up the Mona Lisa because her hairstyle is obsolete. Literary sabatoge. I'm not sure if they are do-gooders or just out to make money by selling new books to every library in America.

http://www.newsouthbooks.com/pages/2011 ... erry-finn/

I saw that on the news. The thing I thought odd was a black professor (I believe he was a professor) was saying the book shouldn't be changed, it is a lesson in history that kids need to learn, especially about the times. Then a white man (not sure of his title) was the one saying it should be changed.

showing71":2wnbeaum said:
I saw that on the news. The thing I thought odd was a black professor (I believe he was a professor) was saying the book shouldn't be changed, it is a lesson in history that kids need to learn, especially about the times. Then a white man (not sure of his title) was the one saying it should be changed.
I don;t find that odd. Color doesn;t define intelligence just as it doesn;t a moron.

If you don't know your history how are you going to guard aginst a repete?
Women must be vigilente.. If we don't watch out,it will again be a sin to work outside the home.

peg4x4":2fdgw5y8 said:
If you don't know your history how are you going to guard aginst a repete?
Women must be vigilente.. If we don't watch out,it will again be a sin to work outside the home.

I have always been in favor of women working outside the home, Peg.

It gives me more time to scratch, burp, fart, drink beer, and watch hunting shows, without supervision...... :mrgreen:

showing71":20ue6tj0 said:

I agree. The way to keep something from happening again is not to pretend it never happened in the first place. That's like removing all references to the Nazi's from history books.

There's a lot of money to be made by some by agitating things but a wound will never heal if you keep picking at it.

Many years ago I dated a young lady who was studying Library Science, or something like that. Her mother was a librarian. Both were vehemently against any kind of censorship. Now I know that's a small sample but I'd hope that most librarians feel the same way, and would never allow such a monstrosity in their library. Then again, maybe they don't have the final say. I don't know. Sure would like to hear from any librarians out there and their take on this whole thing. Lammie?

History should only be re-written to correct that which is found to be inaccurately recorded, this applies even more to historic novels and fiction written by contemporary authors.

I was hoping someone would post about this, thank you MO.
Wrong does not even come close to an accurate assessment to what rewriting this classic Novel is.

What is next ????
Book Burning !!!!! :mad:

hillsdown":dm8oyzz9 said:
Wrong does not even come close to an accurate assessment to what rewriting this classic Novel is.

What is next ????

It's happened before :frowns:

3waycross":2306w3il said:
hillsdown":2306w3il said:

What is next ????

It's happened before :frowns:
Shades of Farenheit 451

I think this whole thing is stupid. I have always thought so. Huck Finn is one of the best stories written in this country's history of literature. Everyone should read it in school. I have read it many times, several as a part of college level literature courses. Every time I read it, I appreciate it more.

Yes, it uses the N word. That was a part of the language of the day. As was Injun. To change it would be to change the character of the book, not to mention that that would be, pardon me for saying this, retarded. I reserve that last word for extremes like this.

dun":3ss177ar said:
showing71":3ss177ar said:
I don;t find that odd. Color doesn;t define intelligence just as it doesn;t a moron.
I meant it as it's usually the other way around.

I had never heard of or seen a black man, african american, etc. etc. etc. until I was 25 years old. Nobody meant nothing by it no more than Tom and Huck do. It was just a fact of life.

Texas Bred, if i understand you right, you are exactly right.
No disrespect was intended, and still isn't as far as I'm concerned. People changing things are just trying to stir up trouble.

I have a son who is about at the age to read this book...iwhen he does, when we come across those words, Im sure questions would arise and me, being a PARENT, would address them and explain why,while they are not considered "good" words now, were in fact words used when this book was written. I feel it shows a progression in the general feel and mindset of the population from then til now and I would see this as a time to EDUCATE children.

I dont understand this sheltering, censorship role that adults feel they must play over children these days..it is disgusting and IMO, stems from the general lack of parenting going on out there..people would just as soon have a TV raise their child..heaven forbid they have to be a friggin parent.

And it isn't as though a lot of kids don't hear that word anyway just from movies or hanging around their local high school... Honestly, it's just stupid. These are no doubt the same people who have banned tag, wall ball and running on the playground. Someone might get hurt!

I personally think that those are the parents who were never chosen for teams when they were kids and now don't want to chance that happening to their own kids.

Latest posts