Huckleberry Finn/Tom Sawyer

Help Support CattleToday:

spinandslide":2wwz6w9t said:
I have a son who is about at the age to read this book...iwhen he does, when we come across those words, Im sure questions would arise and me, being a PARENT, would address them and explain why,while they are not considered "good" words now, were in fact words used when this book was written. I feel it shows a progression in the general feel and mindset of the population from then til now and I would see this as a time to EDUCATE children.

I dont understand this sheltering, censorship role that adults feel they must play over children these days..it is disgusting and IMO, stems from the general lack of parenting going on out there..people would just as soon have a TV raise their child..heaven forbid they have to be a friggin parent.

Great post! :clap:

spinandslide":3vjvlntv said:
I have a son who is about at the age to read this book...iwhen he does, when we come across those words, Im sure questions would arise and me, being a PARENT, would address them and explain why,while they are not considered "good" words now, were in fact words used when this book was written. I feel it shows a progression in the general feel and mindset of the population from then til now and I would see this as a time to EDUCATE children.

I dont understand this sheltering, censorship role that adults feel they must play over children these days..it is disgusting and IMO, stems from the general lack of parenting going on out there..people would just as soon have a TV raise their child..heaven forbid they have to be a friggin parent.

It's called the nanny state. Don't you know that somewhere there is someone who thinks they know more about what's good for you and your kids than you do. :frowns:

born and raised in the south, the N word wasnt a bad as folks think years ago,,, even as a kid folks would refer to one black or another as ""negra bob"" or ''negra sunny'' are a couple that come to mind ..pretty much like saying black bob years later is when it was used more as a degrading name.. but so is slave.. they just changed it from a less degrading name at that time to a complete one in my oppinion

ALACOWMAN":3cumnpij said:
born and raised in the south, the N word wasnt a bad as folks think years ago,,, even as a kid folks would refer to one black or another as ""negra bob"" or ''negra sunny'' are a couple that come to mind ..pretty much like saying black bob years later is when it was used more as a degrading name.. but so is slave.. they just changed it from a less degrading name at that time to a complete one in my oppinion
Good points. In years gone by no decent person would have insulted anyone by calling them black.
Maybe meanings have been changed, but look who changed them and why- Change by way of propaganda to suit someones' agenda.
I see no good reason for all this word changing.

Ryder":38p5tmsd said:
ALACOWMAN":38p5tmsd said:
Good points. In years gone by no decent person would have insulted anyone by calling them black.
Maybe meanings have been changed, but look who changed them and why- Change by way of propaganda to suit someones' agenda.
there is only so much apologizing you can do,, the more you apologize the more guilty you become,, and the weaker you seem..

ALACOWMAN":2ezw8nra said:
Ryder":2ezw8nra said:
ALACOWMAN":2ezw8nra said:
there is only so much apologizing you can do,, the more you apologize the more guilty you become,, and the weaker you seem..
You are sure right. So many times if you try to oblige folks they mistake grace for weakness.
I plan to just stay the way I am (politicaly incorrect). I figure sooner or later it will swing back this way and then I'll be proper again.

I see no good reason for all this word changing.[/quote] there is only so much apologizing you can do,, the more you apologize the more guilty you become,, and the weaker you seem..[/quote]
You are sure right. So many times if you try to oblige folks they mistake grace for weakness.
I plan to just stay the way I am (politicaly incorrect). I figure sooner or later it will swing back this way and then I'll be proper again.[/quote] ............dont count on it, cause it aint looking good ...all this apologizing from folks who really did'nt have a dog in the fight.. just makes it worse

One of our English teachers assigned The Adventures of Tom Sawyer to be read. She gave an alternative book choice if someone found Twain's work offensive. Black student chose Tom Sawyer and went home and complained to her mother about offensive language. Mother came to the school demanding to know why her little darlng had o be exposed to such literature. Teacher explained that she had another choice of a book to read and she chose Tom Sawyer. Mother exclaimed that she was a college graduate and had never even heard of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. Teacher sked the moter where she graduated from and she refused to answer! We've become a nation of politically correct sissies.

J. T.":2mxm743p said:
One of our English teachers assigned The Adventures of Tom Sawyer to be read. She gave an alternative book choice if someone found Twain's work offensive. Black student chose Tom Sawyer and went home and complained to her mother about offensive language. Mother came to the school demanding to know why her little darlng had o be exposed to such literature. Teacher explained that she had another choice of a book to read and she chose Tom Sawyer. Mother exclaimed that she was a college graduate and had never even heard of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. Teacher sked the moter where she graduated from and she refused to answer! We've become a nation of politically correct sissies.

Clown or barber?

I have been around black folk all my life, my Pop made me respect them. I've worked , hunted, and fished with them. Some are typical some non typical. A typical one I have no use for, most live in the city. Most of the non typical's that I have met lived in the country, and I call them friends we farm and raise cows together, trade bulls, and shoot the bull daily. Black or White some people need to be culled, it's ashame the law won't let you.

showing71":22wsruu4 said:
I saw that on the news. The thing I thought odd was a black professor (I believe he was a professor) was saying the book shouldn't be changed, it is a lesson in history that kids need to learn, especially about the times. Then a white man (not sure of his title) was the one saying it should be changed.
Most of my black African friends here are tired of the white liberal apologists speaking for them when they have no issue with the percieved insult, in fact the patronising attitude of the apologists is considered the most insulting attitude by them.

Latest posts