Big Cats

Help Support CattleToday:

My uncle has told me of a time when my Papaw and the boys were out coon hunting. Dogs had something treed when all of a sudden all the dogs were scared shitless and wanted to turn back. Uncle said my Papaw suspected it was a big cat. This would have been in Clay County KY in the early 70's.
There has always been people saying they've seen and heard mountain lions in the KY mountains. I can't remember which county, but a few years back a young mountain lion was hit by a vehicle on a road in southeastern KY, and another shot out of a tree in Bourbon County, by a fish and wildlife officer. In both instances they acknowledged the animal as a mountain lion but were very vague about there presence they down played it and tried to pass it off in sort of of a suggested narrative as random events or as being animals that were brought in illegally.
I've heard from a couple credible folks that have said they saw a mountain lion one guy saw one on his farm here in Clark County, and another saw one years ago in Powell County.

I don't know how accurate this is, but I was told about 30 years by a retired game warden, that if the game and fish recognized (admitted) that they are in the state, they would have to manage them (protect them?). They put it off as long as they could, until game cameras and smart phones came along.

I've seen two. One 25 years ago, and the second 3 years ago. My kids got a picture of one on a game camera. I don't think I've ever hear one scream.

I haven't seen one in person, but my boys stumbled up on one while running their traps on night. We took pictures of the tracks the next morning. Definitely cat tracks a little over 4 inches wide. A neighbor has game camera photos of a big cat with a tail as long as its body from each of the last 3 years. Last year there were little ones with it. It takes 2 to make that happen!

I haven't seen one in person, but my boys stumbled up on one while running their traps on night. We took pictures of the tracks the next morning. Definitely cat tracks a little over 4 inches wide. A neighbor has game camera photos of a big cat with a tail as long as its body from each of the last 3 years. Last year there were little ones with it. It takes 2 to make that happen!
I've been in areas with heavy cat populations many, many times, and I've never seen one. Out in the outback where they live and thrive. I've smelled them and seen their marks, but have never actually seen the animal itself. It's on my bucket list as I've seen so many things others never have, and it's frustrating. But I'd rather have a bucket list with missing pieces than the alternative.

The damn cats are elusive. I'd bet I've been close enough to throw a rock and hit them, and maybe in plain sight, but they blend in.

One day... maybe... one day...

In '79 we ran in to a mountain lion on the Brazos one night. Scared the dickens our of us but since we were three he fled. Hundreds people were in denial that we had them in this part of Texas. I was merely trying to give folks warning. There's no mistaking the tail length of one when you see it. We pretty much quit talking about it after all the chills from nay sayers.

Now we have trail cams. cell phones, security cameras and people taking pictures of everything. Several cougars have been captured on video. No one is in denial any longer. I don't think its a population explosion. I think it is more of a case of video being a sign of the times. I have never personally encountered another cat and I have been out and about most of my adult life.

Latest posts