Today's sale

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve":1apssj8m said:
denvermartinfarms":1apssj8m said:
Highest calves I've ever seen today.

Are you selling?
Nope, I'm all sold out for the time being, until last week I had sold some every week for a couple months. Now I'm just picking up all the odd heavy bred cows that most people don't want. So far what I've put together the last 3 weeks is a mix of pairs and 3rd period cows and I've bought them at a average of 1050$, when I'm done and have all I'm gonna buy I'm hoping to not be over a 1200$ average. That way in less than a year all the cows I am buying will give me a calf to sell for atleast what I paid for each cow.

denvermartinfarms":1blfpb99 said:
picking up all the odd heavy bred cows that most people don't want. So far what I've put together the last 3 weeks is a mix of pairs and 3rd period cows and I've bought them at a average of 1050$,

Pairs are $2,000 and up here.
How do you buy cows for $1050 when kill price is close to $1/lb?

here in texas kill prices for cows an bulls are high kill cows $80 to $1.15 a lb bulls $90 to $1.25 a lb.bred cows an pairs $1200 to $2100 a hd/pair.

Stocker Steve":gln6m5qc said:
denvermartinfarms":gln6m5qc said:
picking up all the odd heavy bred cows that most people don't want. So far what I've put together the last 3 weeks is a mix of pairs and 3rd period cows and I've bought them at a average of 1050$,

Pairs are $2,000 and up here.
How do you buy cows for $1050 when kill price is close to $1/lb?
I'm buying cows 850lbs to 1250lbs that other people don't want. No BM cows, but alot of 1/2 or 3/4 eared cows, 1/3 and 1/2 longhorn cows. Good Herefords don't take a bad hit here but still there cheaper than others and Charolais x cows can sometimes be bought cheaper. What I'm not buying is any 1400lb fancy black cows.

The feeder market was a little soft today, 5wts in the 2.20s but no 6wts over 2.15.

I bought a very nice heavy bred brangus heifer for 935$.

Plan to sell a load of feeders next week. Getting muddy and they are too heavy to go to grass.
Looking at what to buy back. A recent trend here is advertising fall calvers for a big price, and/or advertising hay for $100 a roll. I think a few of the boys want them sold just in case the market does not hold for another year. :nod:

Stocker Steve":4i23m5x6 said:
denvermartinfarms":4i23m5x6 said:
but a lot of 1/2 or 3/4 eared cows,

Only "eared cows" here are the ones with frozen off stubs, but we also have a discount on herford or white cows.
Another thing I can buy is dairy cross cows and breed them back to a good bull.

denvermartinfarms":3suaex6h said:
Im never in a hurry and I go to at least one sale every week so I will not be without for very long.
You do better than me, I go to atleast 3 sales a week and still pull a empty trailer alot.[/quote]
Wake up buddy...you're napping while the good ones are selling. :lol2: :lol2:

Hauled 13 steers off yesterday, weights ranging from around 375 to 560 or so. I'm hoping for around $12k for them.

A little disappointed, stockbarn check was $10735.26. I had a few reds in the bunch and I'm wondering if they didn't sell well....

Overall, the group was very healthy. Majority of them were filled out nicely other than one red angus steer. He was very tall and looked thiner than what he really was. My wife is on her way to pick up the check so I'll report back with what they brought and avg weight.

At my closest sale barn if it aint solid black you better take it to another sale barn cause you are gonna loose $ there.

i find it pretty funny how different regions want different things out of their cattle and how different the sales go all over

Here monday a nice set of 14 Charolais, reds, Herefords X and gray calves weighing 560lbs brought 2.22$ or 1243$ a head, not a black on them.

denvermartinfarms":3m90ph3i said:
Here monday a nice set of 14 Charolais, reds, Herefords X and gray calves weighing 560lbs brought 2.22$ or 1243$ a head, not a black on them.

This is what doesn't make any sense to me, all these calves end up going west so why does it matter where they sell? I like blacks myself, but nothing wrong with a hereford or char calf either.

2.15 lb average on the 13 head. IMO they were light for what is bring the most $$ in my experience 450- 550 is what rings the bell at the sale barn.

Latest posts