To Move, or Not To Move

Help Support CattleToday:

kaneranch

Reaction score
My cattle are out on our families ranch. They are in a pasture with some other peoples cows, and I don't really like that. THere is a 20 acre trap right next to the pasture that my cows are in but the fence needs to be rebuilt, or fixed dramitacally. My question is would it be worth it to have my cows in there own pasture. What would be the cost of rebuilding that whole trap. What would you do? Thanks KaneRanch

I don't see any advantage to moving them other than selective breeding if you wanted to. Don't know what if any or who's bulls are in there. The only other thing that comes to mind is herd health. If the others take care of theirs and you take care of yours, all should be good.

They take care of there cattle, but they leave there bulls in the pasture most of the year and If I raise my own heifer to breed I will have to move here to another pasture so I don't get her bred to early. DOes anyone know what breeding age is for an angus heifer. Thanks KaneRanch.

kaneranch":3mgkxrup said:
They take care of there cattle, but they leave there bulls in the pasture most of the year and If I raise my own heifer to breed I will have to move here to another pasture so I don't get her bred to early. DOes anyone know what breeding age is for an angus heifer. Thanks KaneRanch.

I use the 15 month rule or 70% of the adult body weight which works out to usually be around 15 months most of the time. I have done some angus and hereford breeding at 14 months based on the 70% rule. Never had a problem.

With the price of wire, T-posts, corner posts, etc. you may be looking at quite a bit of money, relatively speaking, to rebuild or substantially repair that 20 acre trap, not to mention the time required. If you're lucky the 20 acres is a perfect square, the most desirable design from the standpoint of fencing cost. And of course with the bulls running all year right across the fence line there's no real guarantee that they won't jump the fence to do their normal duty with your heifer anyway --- it has certainly been known to happen! Seems like a lot of work and expense for one heifer (or is it more than just the one?), if that's what you're really talking about at this time. If I were you I think I might be tempted to save myself a day or more of hard work, and take that fencing money plus money from the sale of the heifer and put it towards the purchase of another bred cow.

Well it is just one or two heifers but I don't want to get a free breeding from some one elses bull. :lol: But if I have to I will just be sure to make sure the cows are bred when the bulls are in there. THanks Matthew Kane

Latest posts