? to char-angus

Help Support CattleToday:

jaimefloresh

Reaction score
What will be the best bull (breed) to bred a charolais-angus cows, i'm looking for heavy calves and good repleasements, no problem whit some ear, tanks

I asked a similar question and got belted over the head and told that all the cows should never have been joined and should have been terminals.
My were breed back to angus, only because they are from a registered breeder with those 2 breeds. So far they look fantastic!

Santas and Duhram Reds":1w1jorsu said:
Santas, Beefmaster, Brangus. Wouldn't personally do an eared breed where the other breed is a Continental breed.
Wouldn't that just water down the hetrosis?
I understand that breeding to brahma wouldn't be the norm, but help me understand how it's going backwards. if you wanted to put some heat tolerance on em without muddying the waters I would think that brahma would be the way to go.

jaimefloresh":21km8xam said:
What will be the best bull (breed) to bred a charolais-angus cows, i'm looking for heavy calves and good repleasements, no problem whit some ear, tanks

Breed them to a good black Galloway bull. If you have rough country or altitude, the Galloway cross females will do great. They are just as heat tolerant, if not more, than an Angus.

hooknline":2vn57dnj said:
Santas and Duhram Reds":2vn57dnj said:
Santas, Beefmaster, Brangus. Wouldn't personally do an eared breed where the other breed is a Continental breed.
Wouldn't that just water down the hetrosis?
I understand that breeding to brahma wouldn't be the norm, but help me understand how it's going backwards. if you wanted to put some heat tolerance on em without muddying the waters I would think that brahma would be the way to go.
well start with the cows that are obviously already working in his enviroment,, but one half is a maternal breed and the other half is used for terminal in a crossbred situation,,, the charolais should be on the tail end of this system.... if he wants heavy calves, but they should be terminal... going with the brahman, will not give him heavy . and only mongrel replacements.... the brahman needs to be in the F1 momas in our enviroment ,,heat, milk, insect's. motherin'

Brangus or Gert with the Gert being my preference as it would inject more heterosis to that mix.

The brahman would supply more heterosis than any on those cows, but a half blood calf won't do well in an sale barn auction setting.

Brahmas grow pretty well to. And the chars that come out of mexico don't look or act like the ones I have. I think I'd opt for the brahma in jaimefloresh's shoes.
When the ranch I was at ran mexican steers, we LOVED to see white cattle with a bunch of ear as we were getting paid a certain price per pound for growth and those things delivered.

Yup, most of the Mexican Chars were bred up from brahmans. Lowered their birthweights and really tightened up that growth curve.

I guess I'm a simple man , and I come from another country so please enlighten me as to what exactly does " tightening up that growth curve " mean ?

Time it takes for mature size to be reached. Old full French Chars grew to be huge but theyd keep growing frame wise till 4-5yr old. Not a rapid growth rate, they jus grew for a long time. The brahman infusion not only sped up the growth rate but shortened the time it took mature size to be reached.

Latest posts