TLC or .22 Caliber

Help Support CattleToday:

Cattle Rack Rancher

Reaction score
Well, I'm stumped this morning, boys. Saturday, I looked out and saw one of my heifers stretched out on its side trying to calve. Went and checked it and saw back feet coming out. Tried to separate her out and watched her go through three cross fences trying to get to the rest of the cows. Fence seemed to be working fairly well as you could see the current shooting through her. Finally, gathered up all the cows and brought them up and got her separated out. Put on the chains and prepared to pull what I figured by then would be a dead calf. To my surprise he was struggling for breath so I hung him up and drained the fluid out of his lungs. Waited a couple of hours and he was making no movements to get up so I fed him some colostrum. He seems alert, got a bit of white in one eye but besides that looks normal. Decent sucking reflex. It seems when I pick him up that he could stand but he almost seems to be trying to dive for the ground. Its only been two days but I don't hold out much hope. It doesn't cost me much in time to feed him twice a day but I'm not going to spend alot of time on it if he's never going to walk. I'm going to try giving him some electrolytes and a shot of selenium tonight. Any body with experience had any success with this sort of thing. Remember, I got two kids 6 and 9, watching me. A lead pipe and a shovel probably won't work.

I've saved many that were worse off than what yours sounds like. Sucking reflex and being alert are both positive signs. Can't be sure that any nerve injury from birthing and pulling isn't permanent, but I've had calves two days old I was ready to give up on that were out in the field with mama before they were a week old. You might talk to the vet about steroid shots to help if they think it might be a nerve problem keeping it from using its legs.

I've saved many that were worse off than what yours sounds like. Sucking reflex and being alert are both positive signs. Can't be sure that any nerve injury from birthing and pulling isn't permanent, but I've had calves two days old I was ready to give up on that were out in the field with mama before they were a week old. You might talk to the vet about steroid shots to help if they think it might be a nerve problem keeping it from using its legs.

I just got hold of the vet and he agrees with you. He's thinking maybe a pinched nerve so he says Predef is the thing to use. The only other time I remember a calf not getting up is years ago, we had a cow step on the calf's head. We tubed it for a couple of days and finally put it down. Guess that's the reason for my lack of optimism.

I agree, I've got a 6 month old calf in the pasture that could not even get up the first 2 weeks of it's life. The vet gave us all kinds of shots, including a steriod shot, antibiotics, and a shot that is supposed to make up for the colustrium defficiency. We had to tube him for 1 week and bottle feed him the rest of the way untill we got him on grain and grass. He's a butterball now and you would never know the difference.

Well, I hope it works but the next challenge if he gets up will be trying to graft him back onto the cow. I know there are some who will say that I should have been milking her to feed the calf but I tried throwing a rope on her and she wasn't exactly amenable to the idea. She kind of lost interest in him when he wouldn't get up so I threw her back out with the rest of the cows.

If she is not being milked then there is little chance of you getting the calf back on the cow. She will dry up pretty soon. The cow that I am referring to must have had some sort of tramatic injury to her bag (i.e. kicked or something) when I milked her it was almost solid blood. I know the calf could not have gotten any colustrum from her. I had plans of grafting the calf back to her but I couldn't get the blood to clear up and the calf was not in any condition to run with the cow so I dried her off and bottled the calf.

Cattle Rack Rancher":1w0xunh2 said:
........ Put on the chains and prepared to pull what I figured by then would be a dead calf. To my surprise he was struggling for breath so I hung him up and drained the fluid out of his lungs. Waited a couple of hours and he was making no movements to get up so I fed him some colostrum. He seems alert, got a bit of white in one eye but besides that looks normal. Decent sucking reflex. It seems when I pick him up that he could stand but he almost seems to be trying to dive for the ground. Its only been two days but I don't hold out much hope. It doesn't cost me much in time to feed him twice a day but I'm not going to spend alot of time on it if he's never going to walk. I'm going to try giving him some electrolytes and a shot of selenium tonight. Any body with experience had any success with this sort of thing. Remember, I got two kids 6 and 9, watching me. A lead pipe and a shovel probably won't work.

Try a shot of "Bose" .... My hubby pulled a calf backwards this spring, both front legs were buckled under. He pushed and held the calf to suck the cows for a wk, before the calf could even stand on one front leg. After about 2 wks, the other leg started to straighten out as well. The calf is out with rest of the herd, moving around fairly well.. Don't give up on the little guy just yet... Mare

CRR

You asked so here goes. It goes against my grain to keep working on them for more than a few days - but that is me - a member of the shoot crowd. I suspect you already know that.

First, I have to tell you to go get your milk replacer and give that calf to your kids. They will do all the work, so you might as well let them have it. Forget the cow - a range cow is history after a few days.

Second. if you must keep it then keep the steroids handy. You might try a little chiropracty on the animal as well. Massage therapy really does work. Along the back and forget rubbing the ribs - hurt is probably along the spinal column from being pushed so hard and so long. You might try some plain old aspirin as well - if there is any pain it does seem to help them.

Have the kids pay some attention to the animal, but tell them not to be too tender. When Mom licks them, they actually rock about as they are being mothered - so kids hands rubbing the muscles on each side of the back bone actually may do a better job than you will.

Don't try to stand it up - it just irritates the problem - it will get up when it wants to. Think about turning it if necessary.

Electros and such are good - but feed it colostrum and GOOD quality replacer - do NOT cheap out on this - and it is expensive but it does make a difference.

I am also going to give you some advice I never often keep. Give it a week. If there is at least a little progress, then give it two.

I do not believe heroics are appropriate, so when and if the time comes make the decision and stick to it.

Nowadays, I mostly let the girls make the final decision - they've won a few battles and lost a few, so they tell me when the calf goes to calf heaven.

Kids growing up on an operation learn early that life is tenuous. I have two girls who have seen it all - they are pragmatic and yet still have the "tender outlook" on life.

If it is meant to be it will work - if not then that is life as well.

There is not a lot than can be done for this type of animal problem except feed, shelter and massage. And finally time - you set that clock, and no one else.

If there is nerve damage it may subside.

With luck your kids will run to the house and tell you "Bucket Head is standing!"

Best of luck.

Bez

Sunday night he looked so sick I was ready to put him down. I actually had a bit of time on my hands Sunday and because I'm easily bored, I rigged up a sling and hung it from the bottom chord rafter of my cattle shed. He seemed to like the movement but his head was down and he was wagging his tail but he looked awful weak. Added a bit of vitamin to his milk replacer yesterday morning and that seemed to have perked him up a bit. The wife said he looked quite a bit better yesterday afternoon. I was skeptical but we put some Gatorade in his bottle and gave him a shot of A D E vitamin and some steroids. By last night if I set him on his feet he could stand for about 30 seconds if he could lean on me. This morning, I set him on his feet and fed him most of the bottle before he fell down. Brought the cow backin this morning. she's been checking on him so maybe this might work out yet. :?:

if youve got the time then good luck but i will wager he doesnt make it and if it was me i would put him down. might be tough for the kids but it seems like most all the good lessons are tough.

brokenmouth":23q5wb6y said:
if youve got the time then good luck but i will wager he doesnt make it and if it was me i would put him down. might be tough for the kids but it seems like most all the good lessons are tough.

If it was time consuming, I wouldn't be doing it. I go out and feed him about 5:30 AM and again after work at 6:30 PM. He actually looks like he's on the mend. He might yet catch pneumonia or something where the decision will be easy, but for a few bucks worth of drugs and half an hour earlier wake up time in the morning, its not a costly venture and if it doesn't work out, I haven't lost much.

Sounds like the little guy just might make it. Agree with the shot of Bose. Have had really good luck with it for weak calves. Me and the kids usually handle babies like this. We make the decision of when Dad brings the gun. They handle it better than I thought they would. Even when our girl was 4, she understood we did all we could and it was time for dad to put the little one out of pain. We don't let them watch when they're little though. Son was around 9 the first time and even then hubby gave him a chance to change his mind. It is a fact of life that has to be dealt with. Ease them into it and you won't have any problem. Hope your calf makes it. Let us know how it works out.

You get it from a vet. Pretty cheap. Think around $5. Mom has the bottle right now so I can't explain exactly what it is. We give a shot of it to weak or slow newborns. Perks them up and gives them energy. Gets them on their momma quicker. Some around here automatically give it to all their newborns 'cuz it's that good and that cheap.

shorty":239vw1df said:
I've never heard of Bose before, What is it and what is it usualy used for?

BoSe. Selenium supplement injection. Also available as MuSe. Not really sure what the compounds are. Only applicable in the Seleneium deficient areas.

Well, I set the calf on his feet last night, tied the cow up and got him sucking. He fell down several times and still can't get up by himself but he's doing way better than I thought compared to Sunday night. This morning I set him on his feet and the cow let him suck without being tied. She must've took my warning of ending up in the deep freeze pretty seriously last night. He only fell down a couple of times this morning. It would sure be nice if he would learn to get up by himself but I guess these things take time.

That's great progress!!! I'm glad to hear it!! I sure hope the progress continues, looks like you may not have a bottle calf after all.

Latest posts