Working my cattle next week or so

Help Support CattleToday:

tcolvin

Reaction score
I am planning on working my cows in a couple of weeks. I have been working on my shoot to devise it to work my bull with out using the head gate on him, and I'm about complete with it. I'll try and send pics when complete. My question now about my vaccine program. I had given for the last 4? Years the cattlemaster Gold LSP5, I think and the Covexin 8. My vet told me after I had done this for 4 years that I only needed one or the other. He had cattle at the time and I'm sure he is right but he has since retired and I want to be sure which is best to use. Another problem that I created is that I'm not sure and really don't think I ever gave the second booster when I started out with cows. I keep good records of all that my cows and goats get in any type of medication or treatment with wormers and the like, but can't find looking back over my history that any one ever got the second booster. Question, after 8 years of vaccinations, do you think it's necessary to do the second booster now? Also does either Covexin 8 or Cattlemaster Gold cover pasturella pneumonia. Thanks for your help.I have never had a problem after vaccinations given in the past. I just want this to be immune to diseases the best they can.

I always give a booster If possible, especially on my replacement heifers..build strong antibodies for they're future calves

Cattlemaster Gold is a killed vaccine that is safe for pregnant cows that have not received modified live (such as Bovishield Gold 5). Cows should receive the Cattlemaster Gold. They need the Covexin for blackleg and other clostridial diseases.

Certainly your cows should have had the initial two vaccinations close together, 4-6 wks I would think, however if your cows have had a yearly shot for the last 8 years I don't think you need to start again with the two shots. I would suspect they have gradually developed an immunity over those years of vaccinations, slowly as opposed to rapid development of immunity with the proper regime. Just correct your ways and do it right in the future and I am sure you will be right. I can't advise specifically on the products you use as I am not familiar with your different brands and names.

Ken

Certainly your cows should have had the initial two vaccinations close together, 4-6 wks I would think, however if your cows have had a yearly shot for the last 8 years I don't think you need to start again with the two shots. I would suspect they have gradually developed an immunity over those years of vaccinations, slowly as opposed to rapid development of immunity with the proper regime. Just correct your ways and do it right in the future and I am sure you will be right. I can't advise specifically on the products you use as I am not familiar with your different brands and names.

Ken
Thanks for info. Then you think both Covexin and Cattle Master Gold given separately but at same tim. What about pink eye vaccination? Thanks

Latest posts