Ear infection or obstruction?

Help Support CattleToday:

I gotta ask, since you seem to have pretty much a closed herd why so many antibiotics on hand?
I buy market cattle every week and don't keep that much.
With the exception of bulls bought every so often, we have a 100% closed herd. But up until last year, we shared a fence row with neighbors that did not have a closed herd and vaccinations were optional.

I keep various antibiotics on hand, generally in anticipation. Resflor Gold was purchased just prior to weaning but got lucky this year and didn't need it. Pretty much always have LA and Draxxin on hand. Dex was for the myco calf last year and Baytril was for (off label) scours. I work closely with my vet and it's easier to make a phone call, text a pic and get a consultation than running to town for antibiotics or hauling an animal when it's something I can handle myself.

That said, this ear thing had me stumped. And I'm thinking maybe @bird dog nailed it. Got a good coating of Fly Ban (7.4% Permethrin and 7.4% Piperonyl Butoxide) around her ear, left side of her face Saturday before it rained late that night and she's as bunky & perky as ever, zero droop and no new discharge. Never had a temp. Vet agreed no antibiotics right now and will take a good look at her Wednesday.

Pics this afternoon (with residual cube dust on her mug)IMG_20240205_151650202.jpgIMG_20240205_151652918.jpg

Well, it was another ear infection. Ear was a little droopy again yesterday, so glad the vet came out today. Vet dug out some gunk and flushed it. Temp was normal, no nasal discharge, eyes clear, good appetite. Gave her 20cc Excede and hopefully that's the last of it.

BTW, my sweet little Peck had a whopping 195.75 pelvic measurement. Baby's got back!!!! Yup, Woody was her sire. Both her dam & sister barely squeaked by with 149.5 measurements, but Johnson was their sire. The bull matters!!

Well, it was another ear infection. Ear was a little droopy again yesterday, so glad the vet came out today. Vet dug out some gunk and flushed it. Temp was normal, no nasal discharge, eyes clear, good appetite. Gave her 20cc Excede and hopefully that's the last of it.

BTW, my sweet little Peck had a whopping 195.75 pelvic measurement. Baby's got back!!!! Yup, Woody was her sire. Both her dam & sister barely squeaked by with 149.5 measurements, but Johnson was their sire. The bull matters!!
What were the EPDs for LBW and CE on Woody... and his Maternals?

Compared to Johnson's numbers?

I'm betting Woody isn't a calving ease, low birth weight bull and he throws good hips and udders because of it.

What were the EPDs for LBW and CE on Woody... and his Maternals?

Compared to Johnson's numbers?

I'm betting Woody isn't a calving ease, low birth weight bull and he throws good hips and udders because of it.
You are correct, Woody isn't a calving ease bull. Well, at least not in my world. CED +7 but CEM +12. BW +.7, WW +55, YW +91. Maternal EPD for milk is +23.

Latest posts