TLC or .22 Caliber

Help Support CattleToday:

sidney411":3ra4dl0d said:
That's great progress!!! I'm glad to hear it!! I sure hope the progress continues, looks like you may not have a bottle calf after all.

We had a bottle calf two years ago after the border closed. It was an obligation that we didn't need. Couldn't really go anywhere during the summer because we had this crazy calf to feed. Should've bought twenty more just to make it worthwhile.

Sounds like you're doing a heck of a job with that calf! It's almost like a novel.. I can't wait to get on the computer to see how he's doing!

Calves can be soooo frustrating as we all know. Bez has the right idea, you really have to have either a time frame or a "if he's doing this by tomorrow, I'll keep trying" attitude with them. You've given them every chance you can.. some make it and some don't.

I'm really impressed that you've got the cow back too.. I wouldn't have bet money on that happening.

Good luck!

I gave him his last 'recommended' dose of steroids this morning as an injection into his backside. (Before everyone starts telling me that you are supposed to inject in the area of the neck, let me tell you that the last calf I did that on walked about 5 steps and died so I'm not keen to do that again). When i injected him this morning, it was enough motivation that he managed to get on his feet by himself. He still moves awful slow. I've had newborns that were far more agile. He's also not the sharpest tool in the shed, seems to have trouble finding the right end of the cow. Gets confused if you put him on the wrong side of the cow. If he keeps progressing by Saturday, I'll let him and Mama out with the rest of the herd. I'll be around a good part of the day to keep an eye on him. I was so sure he was going to die on Sunday night that I almost put him down. I'm sure glad I didn't.

Cattle Rack Rancher":240375r8 said:
I gave him his last 'recommended' dose of steroids this morning as an injection into his backside.

(Before everyone starts telling me that you are supposed to inject in the area of the neck, let me tell you that the last calf I did that on walked about 5 steps and died so I'm not keen to do that again).

When i injected him this morning, it was enough motivation that he managed to get on his feet by himself. He still moves awful slow. I've had newborns that were far more agile. He's also not the sharpest tool in the shed, seems to have trouble finding the right end of the cow. Gets confused if you put him on the wrong side of the cow. If he keeps progressing by Saturday, I'll let him and Mama out with the rest of the herd. I'll be around a good part of the day to keep an eye on him. I was so sure he was going to die on Sunday night that I almost put him down. I'm sure glad I didn't.
=========

CattleRackRancher,

Not to be critical....but, are you sure it was not deposited into a vein in the neck ?

As I have read and to understand most of these drugs should go in the neck...sub cutaneous. I like to take the left hand get a handful of skin on the upper side of the neck and roll it up with knuckles digging in toard the side of the neck...and then inject just past where my knuckles are. Anyone have a better technique...would sure like to know of it.

Maby Vicky the Vet will ....respond to this post. Vicky?

preston39":2wtntqfx said:
Cattle Rack Rancher":2wtntqfx said:
I gave him his last 'recommended' dose of steroids this morning as an injection into his backside.

(Before everyone starts telling me that you are supposed to inject in the area of the neck, let me tell you that the last calf I did that on walked about 5 steps and died so I'm not keen to do that again).

When i injected him this morning, it was enough motivation that he managed to get on his feet by himself. He still moves awful slow. I've had newborns that were far more agile. He's also not the sharpest tool in the shed, seems to have trouble finding the right end of the cow. Gets confused if you put him on the wrong side of the cow. If he keeps progressing by Saturday, I'll let him and Mama out with the rest of the herd. I'll be around a good part of the day to keep an eye on him. I was so sure he was going to die on Sunday night that I almost put him down. I'm sure glad I didn't.
=========

CattleRackRancher,

Not to be critical....but, are you sure it was not deposited into a vein in the neck ?

As I have read and to understand most of these drugs should go in the neck...sub cutaneous. I like to take the left hand get a handful of skin on the upper side of the neck and roll it up with knuckles digging in toard the side of the neck...and then inject just past where my knuckles are. Anyone have a better technique...would sure like to know of it.

Predef is supposed to be used as an intramuscular not subcutaneous. The ADE vitamin was done as subcutaneous to the neck. I don't think I hit a vein last time but it is possible. From what I gathered of what the vet said, he thought the calf may have had an allergic reaction (toxic shock, maybe?). Its been a few years. All I know is that I won't give intramuscular injections to calves in the neck any more.

When I had to inject my horse with pen-g the vet said to push the needle in her neck - pull back on the plunger, if you are in a vein, blood will come into the needle, if no blood then you are ok to inject. He said that in horses, if you put pen in the vein it is almost instant death. Now anytime I give a intra-m shot I pull back on the needle to make sure I'm not in a vein.

sidney411":2eqrfj9g said:
When I had to inject my horse with pen-g the vet said to push the needle in her neck - pull back on the plunger, if you are in a vein, blood will come into the needle, if no blood then you are ok to inject. He said that in horses, if you put pen in the vein it is almost instant death. Now anytime I give a intra-m shot I pull back on the needle to make sure I'm not in a vein.

For some reason intra-m shots to full grown cows don't bother me either. Its just calves, must just be one of those weird phobias like my fear of crowded rooms. :roll:

Cattle Rack Rancher":jikanu8k said:
preston39":jikanu8k said:
Cattle Rack Rancher":jikanu8k said:

=========

CattleRackRancher,

Predef is supposed to be used as an intramuscular not subcutaneous. The ADE vitamin was done as subcutaneous to the neck. I don't think I hit a vein last time but it is possible. From what I gathered of what the vet said, he thought the calf may have had an allergic reaction (toxic shock, maybe?). Its been a few years. All I know is that I won't give intramuscular injections to calves in the neck any more.
==========

Sorry I left out the IM in my neck reference.

Yep...guess allergic reaction....apalaxysis(s?)...or something like that.... is a killer. A further point should have been... if and when we give injections anywhere...we must aspirate...or pull back on the syringe...after injecting it..... to insure we are not in a vein..that is a sure killer for most meds.

Here's a really poor picture of 'String Bean' and his mama leaving the corral early Saturday morning. Turns out that cow is a bit of a milk slut which means she'll feed any calf that wants a drink so I'm still topping up 'String Bean' with a bottle every once in awhile. If she doesn't smarten up I'll have to separate her out in the small pasture by herself.

Mar1005001.jpg

Thanks for the pic! Glad to see ma and baby together in the pasture! That's the way it should be, now aren't you glad you didn't opt for the .22????? :D

The results here is support of proper thinking that we should not give up on a newborn easily. There are so many things that come in to play. This little fellow just needed some nutritional values added/absorbed...for whatever reason.

I would never kill a newborn...do every thing you can figure out to do..... and see what happens.

A major cost/investment is at stake.

sidney411":texe0rqy said:
Absolutely correct! One must make sure that no AIR gets into the system. I killed a very expensive animal one time many years ago and they almost had to bury ME!

preston39":8r1m1e3g said:
Cattle Rack Rancher":8r1m1e3g said:
preston39":8r1m1e3g said:
Cattle Rack Rancher":8r1m1e3g said:

=========

CattleRackRancher,

==========

Sorry I left out the IM in my neck reference.

Yep...guess allergic reaction....apalaxysis(s?)...or something like that.... is a killer. A further point should have been... if and when we give injections anywhere...we must aspirate...or pull back on the syringe...after injecting it..... to insure we are not in a vein..that is a sure killer for most meds.
The term you are referring to is "Anaphaylaxis"

DOC HARRIS":3up8lw6d said:
The term you are referring to is "Anaphaylaxis"

That's why we keep a bottle of epinephrin(sp) handy when giving antibiotics.

dun

How soon after giving the antibiotics would an animal go into anaphilatic shock? How would you know that it was anaphalatic shock?

Latest posts