Time for a side by side/UTV

Help Support CattleToday:

a golf cart with oversized tires used offroad will not hold up or last 100 hrs , I like the polaris rangers the best, yamaha viking a close second . kawasaki 4010 too . Can am has the new Defender line that I would look at as well if buying new . Mule pro ext another nice one . and Ive had every make and model made , sport , utility , rtv . All of them . I think they all still have a little ways to go for the cost and what you get but we are rough on them and use them like they advertise them to be used

Brute 23":3qh9lh85 said:
lavacarancher":3qh9lh85 said:
Brute 23":3qh9lh85 said:
Rebuild the carbs ever 6 months..... clean or rebuild? What part is failing every 6 mo?

I suppose I would call it a rebuild. I remove the carb, tear it down, soak it in carb cleaner and put it all back together. It works until the idle (low speed) circuit gets clogged up with aluminum oxide and dirt then repeat. My fuel supplier either can't or won't supply me with ethanol free fuel so I'm kinda stuck. I have had to replace the carb twice due to internal corrosion, at least that's what the dealer told me. Since I started doing my own work on it I have not had to replace it but I am seeing corrosion starting to eat at it.

I believe they sell ethanol free gas at the yoakum airport. They have a website with all the places that sell ethanol free fuel.

Low grade 85 octane fuel is sold pretty much everywhere here, but it almost always costs more than 87 octane E10. Many places also offer 90 octane premium unleaded because the bikers like it :idea:

I'm at a ropin this weekend, so there's a herd of these running around. The suspension looks pretty hefty on this to me.

Maybe haul a few grand kids on the back

Brute 23":1op6gx7b said:
That is like the one we have at the ranch. It's a utility golf cart. Comes with big tires, lights, ect all from factory.

FYI, that's an $8,000 cart, new.

$8,000 :shock: :shock: :shock:

I don't know why you would spend that much for that for a farm. Maybe
$2000

A ranger is $12,000 and would work circles around that thing.It has way more payload, goes alot faster, way more power and smoother ride. The only bad thing about the ranger is the bed height. The old gaters would be a good option if speed and distance of travel wasn't a big deal.

Are they really $8,000???

I don't see the ROI on those things. Nice though and would make life easier. We just endured using bucket while redo-ing our bathroom for the past month. Dont think I could get away with buying that toy.

dave_shelby":2h11w27q said:
I don't see the ROI on those things. Nice though and would make life easier. We just endured using bucket while redo-ing our bathroom for the past month. Dont think I could get away with buying that toy.
Depends on the land contour and the age of the user. We wouldn;t get nearly as much done without them. But my wife is OLD so that explains it.
I prefer to think of myself as just having 10 more years experience than she has

dave_shelby":11xpcwrl said:

ROI Return on investment - I'm sure others have different values but here is mine. I around 2hrs per gallon of gas. Translated to MPH at max speed of 25mph that's 25miles per gallon , I don't think you can get that on anything else on the farm. I can work longer and more efficiently where when I was walking the time it took to walk and check fences could be used to get other stuff done. Mama likes it and she loves to ride the pastures and look at things, she takes it the 3 miles to her mothers quite a bit , Its handier than a shirt pocket for most everything. A lot of times on Sunday afternoon we will take a little ride down the dirt roads and thru the hunting lease and just spend a couple hours enjoying the outdoors. At the end of the day its farm machinery and as with anything it has to be used to get a full return on investment. You mention Toy and I'm sure you see it as one but in reality If your not loading it up on a trailer and taking it to the Forrest and riding all weekend then its a toy.

I've had a little Kawasaki 610 for about 13 years and for the money don't think you can beat it. Never done anything but service it and did put on a new set of tires. Gave less than $7000 for it 13 years ago and they really haven't gone up much since then.

M-5":i8nay8rb said:
dave_shelby":i8nay8rb said:

ROI Return on investment - I'm sure others have different values but here is mine. I around 2hrs per gallon of gas. Translated to MPH at max speed of 25mph that's 25miles per gallon , I don't think you can get that on anything else on the farm. I can work longer and more efficiently where when I was walking the time it took to walk and check fences could be used to get other stuff done. Mama likes it and she loves to ride the pastures and look at things, she takes it the 3 miles to her mothers quite a bit , Its handier than a shirt pocket for most everything. A lot of times on Sunday afternoon we will take a little ride down the dirt roads and thru the hunting lease and just spend a couple hours enjoying the outdoors. At the end of the day its farm machinery and as with anything it has to be used to get a full return on investment. You mention Toy and I'm sure you see it as one but in reality If your not loading it up on a trailer and taking it to the Forrest and riding all weekend then its a toy.

+1. IMO, while these machines look expensive at first glance, so are horses and pickups. What it really boils down to is having the proper and most efficient tool for the job at hand.

I stopped at neighbors today to pick up my first pasture check of the season. They bought a new Polaris Ranger with enclosed cab and heater just in time for calving. More recently they bought a new 2016 Suzuki King Quad 500 which joins their 2013 King Quad 500 and the Ranger in the stable. The old Eiger 400 has certainly done its share and it was time to upgrade. None of these machines are used as toys.

dave_shelby":ugn2v1w3 said:

I had to chuckle when I read your post: if the grand kids/nephews/neighbor kids ask to take them out on the ranch "just for fun" our standard response is "Those are NOT toys!" Our Polaris Rangers get waaaay more use, have more miles than our trucks or any other farm machinery. If it's 100 degrees, we're still in them & sweat; if it's sub-zero we bundle up & use my husbands (he has heated seats :)). And after spending quality time fixing fences from the storms, I highly recommend the wench. ROI is subjective but our UTV's qualify in my world.

If you have a diesel tank, consider getting a diesel. We have 2 JD gators... We drive the living he!! out of them. I dont know how many miles they have, but its going to be well over 8 thousand per year. If i have my choice though, i'm always going to hop on my 4wheeler....UTVs are just too slow and bulky for me.
Our neighbor has a mule, i think, that has a extra back seat.. When he doesnt need to carry more than 2, it folds up somewhere between the cab and the bed....wished the gators had that.

cowgirl8":2q7r8rhc said:
If you have a diesel tank, consider getting a diesel. We have 2 JD gators... We drive the living he!! out of them. I dont know how many miles they have, but its going to be well over 8 thousand per year. If i have my choice though, i'm always going to hop on my 4wheeler....UTVs are just too slow and bulky for me.
Our neighbor has a mule, i think, that has a extra back seat.. When he doesnt need to carry more than 2, it folds up somewhere between the cab and the bed....wished the gators had that.

How are the diesels about cold weather starting :?: I'm rarely out there much anymore in late fall and winter, but I'm somewhat disappointed that my EFI gas Honda Rancher is cold blooded and just doesn't seem to start as well as my old carbed 2-stroke Polaris machines. I do have heated grips, thumbwarmer, and a windshield for winter riding, but my feet still get cold :oops:

We have a diesel Kubota 1140 rtv and the operating cost including insurance is less than a $1.00 per hour. It's by far the most fuel efficient rtv made.
But for dad to putt around in it's a little over kill.

John SD":1ow0edgy said:
cowgirl8":1ow0edgy said:

How are the diesels about cold weather starting :?: I'm rarely out there much anymore in late fall and winter, but I'm somewhat disappointed that my EFI gas Honda Rancher is cold blooded and just doesn't seem to start as well as my old carbed 2-stroke Polaris machines. I do have heated grips, thumbwarmer, and a windshield for winter riding, but my feet still get cold :oops:
I'm not sure how they do in really cold, but we do get cold here and its always started. It has a glow plug, you turn the key and wait for a light to go off. I know if you try starting before that it wont.
Isnt your honda fuel injected? Really loved when they started doing that, no more chokes....i hate chokes..

The only issue with the diesels, in my experience (Kubota), is that they're loud and slow. It took some of the pleasure out of driving arund the farm. But there's not much they won't do.

cowgirl8":anwsnjs4 said:
John SD":anwsnjs4 said:
cowgirl8":anwsnjs4 said:

I'm not sure how they do in really cold, but we do get cold here and its always started. It has a glow plug, you turn the key and wait for a light to go off. I know if you try starting before that it wont.
Isnt your honda fuel injected? Really loved when they started doing that, no more chokes....i hate chokes..

I guess I just expected a fuel injected Honda to start right up immediately. The only time I tried to start when it was what i consider cold was about -5 degrees on a crisp sunny morning. The 10W40 oil in the engine really slows cranking at that temp. Got her rolling and she eventually fired up, but I'm just not used to grinding on the starter that long :???:

Not proud of it, but I've got to say I am impressed with how well Kubota diesels start. I didn't plug my tractor in because I didn't expect it to get that cold. Whoops. -10 the next morning :oops:

I cycled the glow plugs a couple times before I tried it, was a little rough at first but tractor started right up with 5W40 synthetic in the crankcase. Was gonna take off real slow, but the shuttle shift wouldn't work, buzzer went off and screen flashed error code when I tried to engage :eek: I let the tractor warm up about 15 minutes and after that everything was fine.

Latest posts