Time Change

Help Support CattleToday:

jedstivers":2o3ob9zy said:
herofan":2o3ob9zy said:
Jogeephus":2o3ob9zy said:
Its all I've ever known. There was a time I would have been envious of having that luxury but now its all I know. I've worked seven days a week for 48 years now and have no regrets.

I suppose those are the keys. Not working on Sunday is all I've ever known. I was raised that way, and people practiced it around me. It wasn't a hardship or struggle for the people I knew to not work on Sunday, it was just the norm. I really didn't give it much thought

Like you, I have no regrets. I don't have any examples of people around me who have kept their nose to the grindstone 24/7 all their lives and thought, "gee, my life would have been so much more productive and enjoyable if I had been like them."

Don't get me wrong, I respect and understand anyone who has to work all the time to put food on the table and clothes on their children's backs. It's just that most people I know are way beyond that. The basics come fairly easy these days as compared to my grandparent's generation who did have to work sun ip to sun down just to acquire the basics.
Sure, most people tell themselves they do it to have food and clothes, but most of it is for all the toys we want. I guess I just don't have an appetite for a lot of toys.

Human behavior, including mine, my family's, and all others in the world has always fascinated me. I'm always curiois if people can explain what makes them tick; I've found that most can't, at least not in a logical manner.

I've always welcomed anyone who could explain how my life would be so much better if I had lived like my pants were on fire all the time as opppsed to how I have lived, but I have yet to hear that satisfying explanation.
Not anyone's place to explain to you how your live could be better. It's yours and yours only. You do as you see fit. That's what it's for.

You are correct. I'm only speaking of explaining it out of curiosity. I just like to talk a little philosophy at times, and I have some friends who enjoy it as well; that's all.

Jogeephus":17rlt40r said:
TexasBred":17rlt40r said:
herofan":17rlt40r said:
Wow. I just didnt know how to schedule a Sunday. It hadn't dawned on me that church was a couple of hours, I could spend time time with family while working, and that I could have down time on cold and rainy days.

Now that I have that knowledge, I can revamp my Sunday activities.
When the ox is in the ditch you gotta do what needs doing regardless of what day of the week it is. We try to plan things where we have no work to so on Sunday either but sometimes you just can't avoid it.

My ox has been in the ditch for over 30 years now. I'm thinking about selling the ox and getting a fishing rod.
:lol: :clap: Get two Joe and I'll tag along. :nod:

herofan":35bski7r said:
Jogeephus":35bski7r said:
TexasBred":35bski7r said:
When the ox is in the ditch you gotta do what needs doing regardless of what day of the week it is. We try to plan things where we have no work to so on Sunday either but sometimes you just can't avoid it.

My ox has been in the ditch for over 30 years now. I'm thinking about selling the ox and getting a fishing rod.

My ox has only been in the ditch on Sunday two or three times in my entire life.
Well aren't you blessed. You sound so much like the Pharisee so proud of himself because he was not like all the other sinners. :shock: :shock: :shock:

The Church goers in my area flock to the restaurants after services. You would think that they would have a little thought about working on Sunday and go home to eat. This would let the food service workers have Sunday off to be with their family.

hurleyjd":1o2r5kn5 said:
The Church goers in my area flock to the restaurants after services. You would think that they would have a little thought about working on Sunday and go home to eat. This would let the food service workers have Sunday off to be with their family.

You are correct hurley These same people bitych and complain about people working on Sunday but they expect places to be open to cater to them. same for holidays when they expect to be off and paid but throw hissy fits if a business is closed and they also complain when time changes and because they have a extra hour in the after noon to do what they want that they are the only ones that should enjoy it and all business should stay open later to accommodate them. They need church on Sundays to try and atone for those sins.

hurleyjd":2wjz51ie said:

I agree!

Kind of funny that so many posters on this board are always complaining about the snowflakes that can't handle any adversity in their lives. And here we have 6 pages of people complaining about the clock moving ahead an hour.

ChrisB":30398so2 said:
Kind of funny that so many posters on this board are always complaining about the snowflakes that can't handle any adversity in their lives. And here we have 6 pages of people complaining about the clock moving ahead an hour.
Don't just sit back and be critical....join in and bytch.

When you do AI or farming for a living your ox is in the ditch permanently. I worked seven days a week for three or four months at a time for fifteen years and during that time my customers told me what a sinner I was for working sundays but they still wanted me and not a relief breeder and barely tolerated what days I did take and my help were all good breeders. I finally found what I needed to hear when I moved here to OK and had a preacher tell me that it didn't matter what day I took but I needed to take a day now and then to reflect and relax even if it was spent doing WORK that I enjoy. I'm catching up on lost time now. I am productive but I don't work anymore. I miss church fairly often as a Sunday spent with the cows speaks to me. When I do go to church I'll often work before and after and then plan a day in the garden or fishing later that week.

To be perfectly honest, I work almost every Sunday. The ox was neatly placed in the ditch by my own doing though. I do both allow, and encourage my children to enjoy their day, and rejoice in it.

TexasBred":1piu1nft said:
herofan":1piu1nft said:
Jogeephus":1piu1nft said:

My ox has only been in the ditch on Sunday two or three times in my entire life.
Well aren't you blessed. You sound so much like the Pharisee so proud of himself because he was not like all the other sinners. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Actually, I feel very blessed, even more so after reading this and how difficult it is for some people to not work on Sunday. Yes, I do feel blessed.

I don't believe I mentioned anything about sin. It just started with a curious question about what kind of operation a particular poster had. Then, I did describe the culture in my area and church was mentioned within that. I don't believe I mentioned sin at all.

jedstivers":25qic5q7 said:
Anyone ever notice what day a preacher works?

I guess that depends on the individual church. I attend an old country church, and our preacher doesn't get a salary. We take up a random offering on occasion that probably pays his gas and maybe lunch, but no set salary.

We have had some preachers who refuse any type of offering whatsoever. We view it as worship, not a job.

We have church services every night and three on Sunday morning. Keeps the priest very busy especially when you figure in hospital and nursing home ministries (another service at nursing home), weddings and funerals, catechism classes and adult education classes..He makes a whopping $1800 a month plus an apartment.

herofan":1c7zop35 said:
I don't believe I mentioned anything about sin. It just started with a curious question about what kind of operation a particular poster had. Then, I did describe the culture in my area and church was mentioned within that. I don't believe I mentioned sin at all.
It was not about the sin but about the sinner.

cow pollinator is right in my opinion. I also did AI as the relief tech for many years and would have people who only wanted the regular guy....but it was okay for me to come on sunday cuz "he" needed a day off. It never mattered that much to me, it could have really gotten to me if I let it. I would often even as a kid, take my horse and go off for several hours and spend some reflective time quietly in a field or along a trail and to me that was my time with my "god". Having some native american blood, I have some different thoughts sometimes on a single god, but I was raised methodist and do believe there is a supreme being of some sort. I do try to give thanks for the blessings I have and try to be tolerant of others but I also was one of those restaurant workers that was there every Sunday for the before and after church crowds that came to eat. And you know what, many times they were more inconsiderate than the weekday workers that seemed to appreciate that you were getting their breakfast for them to go and spend a hard day at work. Some of the sunday crowd were real nice, but there were many that acted like you were a lesser life form because they had been pious and gone to church and you had not. I have milked on dairies and the cows need to be milked everyday. We feed on sundays, and with working "regular jobs" we often make hay on sundays if the weather dictates it, because if we don't then it could be ruined by rain on monday or we might not be able to get it done due to job demands. I don't think god will punish us for taking advantage of a day of optimum weather to make hay, rather than let it get wet and ruined because we didn't make it on sunday. And I have seen many do just that, leave it and then it is ruined because the weather has changed and they refuse to make it on a Sunday. I believe that doing so is wasting what god has provided for you.

It's interesting that all this defense of Sunday-work got started because I asked a poster about his operation.

Sure, I don't work on Sunday, but the part that got my attention the most was that he would ask business owners to go in when they were closed so he could get parts. I suppose that could apply to any day a business was closed for any reason, like a holiday. Since having business owners go in when their store is closed isn't a common practice around here, I was just curious about his operation.

Then, several felt the need to explain why they work on Sunday.

herofan":13849ern said:
M-5":13849ern said:
herofan":13849ern said:
What do you have that requires parts on Sunday? Do you operate a dairy?

Jed is a Farmer

Wow, that was a great answer. I never would have guessed that. I thought this was a forum about baking cookies.

I guess that shows difference in cultures. My grandfather was a farmer all his life and he didn't work on Sunday, nor did he allow work to be done on his farm in Sunday unless it was an emergency.

I mentioned dairy because that is the only farm activity from my area that "must go on" on Sunday. I wasn't trying to be weird, but just drawing from what I am accustomed to.
This certainly didn't help you.

Latest posts