Time Change

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan":15qzi9ui said:
jedstivers":15qzi9ui said:
1982vett":15qzi9ui said:

Don't know how anyone survived back in the day when everything shut down Saturday afternoon and didn't open up till Monday morning.
Places still shut down on Sunday, when I need parts on Sunday though I'm calling the owners and saying meet me at the store.

What do you have that requires parts on Sunday? Do you operate a dairy?

Jed is a Farmer

M-5":1qz1sbo4 said:
herofan":1qz1sbo4 said:
jedstivers":1qz1sbo4 said:
Places still shut down on Sunday, when I need parts on Sunday though I'm calling the owners and saying meet me at the store.

Jed is a Farmer

Great answer.

M-5":335qt45a said:
herofan":335qt45a said:
jedstivers":335qt45a said:

Jed is a Farmer

Wow, that was a great answer. I never would have guessed that. I thought this was a forum about baking cookies.

I guess that shows difference in cultures. My grandfather was a farmer all his life and he didn't work on Sunday, nor did he allow work to be done on his farm in Sunday unless it was an emergency.

I mentioned dairy because that is the only farm activity from my area that "must go on" on Sunday. I wasn't trying to be weird, but just drawing from what I am accustomed to.

herofan":1n49qfmj said:
M-5":1n49qfmj said:
herofan":1n49qfmj said:

Jed is a Farmer

Wow, I never would have guessed that, so I guess that shows difference in cultures. My grandfather was a farmer all his life and he didn't work on Sunday, nor did he allow work to be done on his farm in Sunday unless it was an emergency.

I mentioned dairy because that is the only farm activity from my area that "must go on" on Sunday. I wasn't trying to be weird, but just drawing from what I am accustomed to.

Yes , We know you try not to work every chance you get. Your grandfather was not farming 6k acres either and times were different. Todays Large farmers sometimes run 24hrs a days and 7 days a week.

M-5":33t3uce6 said:
herofan":33t3uce6 said:
M-5":33t3uce6 said:
Jed is a Farmer

Wow, I never would have guessed that, so I guess that shows difference in cultures. My grandfather was a farmer all his life and he didn't work on Sunday, nor did he allow work to be done on his farm in Sunday unless it was an emergency.

Yes , We know you try not to work every chance you get. Your grandfather was not farming 6k acres either and times were different. Todays Large farmers sometimes run 24hrs a days and 7 days a week.

Then I suppose that answers my question. I was just curious.

I guess since I live in a rural area, we don't have any operations that must run 24/7; dairy is the only one I can think of that has to put in time on Sunday. Most people here are in church and relaxing with family on Sundays.

As for trying not to work every chance I get, I don't get out of work that needs to be done, but I don't go around like my pants are on fire all the time like I may starve if I don't work 24/7. There are a few things in life I enjoy aside from working, like spending time with family and having a nice relaxing Sunday.

Life around here on Sunday is like the Andy Griffith episode, Man In A Hurry.

church is only 2 hrs tops , and you can spend time with family working. My family were farmers and even tho we didn't do 5k plus acres we did do over 500 and ran hogs and cows . Its was a 7 day a week job still went to church and had lunch with the family but there was always work . there are enough rainy and cold days to be able to sit around and do nothing but if the sun is shining you gotta get it done. I spent 3 day sick last week in the bed and recliner, I have NEVER done that in my life and I felt like I should apply for welfare because I was worthless those 3 days. Cows did get fed and things checked on but it was back to bed as soon as I was done.

M-5":3tlpnlnn said:
church is only 2 hrs tops , and you can spend time with family working. My family were farmers and even tho we didn't do 5k plus acres we did do over 500 and ran hogs and cows . Its was a 7 day a week job still went to church and had lunch with the family but there was always work . there are enough rainy and cold days to be able to sit around and do nothing but if the sun is shining you gotta get it done. I spent 3 day sick last week in the bed and recliner, I have NEVER done that in my life and I felt like I should apply for welfare because I was worthless those 3 days. Cows did get fed and things checked on but it was back to bed as soon as I was done.

You want to feel worthless try 14 weeks. Nothing, and I mean nothing, has been worse in my life. Mandated couch time sucks.

Bestoutwest":swknega8 said:
M-5":swknega8 said:

You want to feel worthless try 14 weeks. Nothing, and I mean nothing, has been worse in my life. Mandated couch time sucks.

might as well call the undertaker. I would just as soon move on to greener pastures , I WILL NOT be a burden on anyone

Wow. I just didnt know how to schedule a Sunday. It hadn't dawned on me that church was a couple of hours, I could spend time with family while working, and that I could have down time on cold and rainy days.

Now that I have that knowledge, I can revamp my Sunday activities.

herofan":3jj3bqka said:
Wow. I just didnt know how to schedule a Sunday. It hadn't dawned on me that church was a couple of hours, I could spend time time with family while working, and that I could have down time on cold and rainy days.

When the ox is in the ditch you gotta do what needs doing regardless of what day of the week it is. We try to plan things where we have no work to so on Sunday either but sometimes you just can't avoid it.

TexasBred":uwa8ovue said:
herofan":uwa8ovue said:
Wow. I just didnt know how to schedule a Sunday. It hadn't dawned on me that church was a couple of hours, I could spend time time with family while working, and that I could have down time on cold and rainy days.

When the ox is in the ditch you gotta do what needs doing regardless of what day of the week it is. We try to plan things where we have no work to so on Sunday either but sometimes you just can't avoid it.

I couldn't agree more. That's exactly my view on the subject.

TexasBred":3hbam9wo said:
herofan":3hbam9wo said:

My ox has been in the ditch for over 30 years now. I'm thinking about selling the ox and getting a fishing rod.

Jogeephus":13hbfs44 said:
TexasBred":13hbfs44 said:
herofan":13hbfs44 said:

My ox has been in the ditch for over 30 years now. I'm thinking about selling the ox and getting a fishing rod.

My ox has only been in the ditch on Sunday two or three times in my entire life.

I've about decided I have way too many ditches around here.
My pastor probably agrees, since he did a sermon on that subject not long ago, and said he was gettin a little tired of hearing that scripture quoted to him..

herofan":2oy1ycn1 said:
My ox has only been in the ditch on Sunday two or three times in my entire life.

Its all I've ever known. There was a time I would have been envious of having that luxury but now its all I know. I've worked seven days a week for 48 years now and have no regrets. Don't get me wrong, every day hasn't been toil and when things are slow I make the best of it it and I can play just as hard as I work. I work seasons and are controlled by them and the weather. During these seasonal transitions it can be really demanding and its extremely difficult if not impossible to shut things down for any special day. Then there is always that stupid ox that gets in the ditch at the worst time. But rather than time, I can look at what I've built for my family and others and that in itself is my reward and satisfaction.

Jogeephus":f8v25vcy said:
herofan":f8v25vcy said:

Its all I've ever known. There was a time I would have been envious of having that luxury but now its all I know. I've worked seven days a week for 48 years now and have no regrets. Don't get me wrong, every day hasn't been toil and when things are slow I make the best of it it and I can play just as hard as I work. I work seasons and are controlled by them and the weather. During these seasonal transitions it can be really demanding and its extremely difficult if not impossible to shut things down for any special day. Then there is always that stupid ox that gets in the ditch at the worst time. But rather than time, I can look at what I've built for my family and others and that in itself is my reward and satisfaction.

You ain't no spring chicken, take the family and smell the sea my friend.

herofan":2hq8s6a4 said:
jedstivers":2hq8s6a4 said:
1982vett":2hq8s6a4 said:

Don't know how anyone survived back in the day when everything shut down Saturday afternoon and didn't open up till Monday morning.

Besides running a farm during the growing season I feed calves in the winter.
Some years the only days a week we work are Friday Saturday and Sunday. Maybe a Monday if we're luckly on those years. Why? Because it rains all the rest of the week. Those patterns start and can go all season.
We water almost every acre. That's requires Sunday work. We farm more and more acres with less and less people also. Not cause we want to either.
Then when we get to the calf feeding they have to eat every single day. Christmas too. We got to roll. They have to eat.
We do go to church too, miss some. Sometimes miss a lot.

Jogeephus":11xsfj50 said:
herofan":11xsfj50 said:

Its all I've ever known. There was a time I would have been envious of having that luxury but now its all I know. I've worked seven days a week for 48 years now and have no regrets.

I suppose those are the keys. Not working on Sunday is all I've ever known. I was raised that way, and people practiced it around me. It wasn't a hardship or struggle for the people I knew to not work on Sunday, it was just the norm. I really didn't give it much thought

Like you, I have no regrets. I don't have any examples of people around me who have kept their nose to the grindstone 24/7 all their lives and thought, "gee, my life would have been so much more productive and enjoyable if I had been like them."

Don't get me wrong, I respect and understand anyone who has to work all the time to put food on the table and clothes on their children's backs. It's just that most people I know are way beyond that. The basics come fairly easy these days as compared to my grandparent's generation who did have to work sun ip to sun down just to acquire the basics.
Sure, most people tell themselves they do it to have food and clothes, but most of it is for all the toys we want. I guess I just don't have an appetite for a lot of toys.

Human behavior, including mine, my family's, and all others in the world has always fascinated me. I'm always curiois if people can explain what makes them tick; I've found that most can't, at least not in a logical manner.

I've always welcomed anyone who could explain how my life would be so much better if I had lived like my pants were on fire all the time as opppsed to how I have lived, but I have yet to hear that satisfying explanation.

jedstivers":2nklcfcr said:
herofan":2nklcfcr said:
jedstivers":2nklcfcr said:

Besides running a farm during the growing season I feed calves in the winter.
Some years the only days a week we work are Friday Saturday and Sunday. Maybe a Monday if we're luckly on those years. Why? Because it rains all the rest of the week. Those patterns start and can go all season.
We water almost every acre. That's requires Sunday work. We farm more and more acres with less and less people also. Not cause we want to either.
Then when we get to the calf feeding they have to eat every single day. Christmas too. We got to roll. They have to eat.
We do go to church too, miss some. Sometimes miss a lot.

Thanks for the response.

herofan":21wkkqqb said:
Jogeephus":21wkkqqb said:
herofan":21wkkqqb said:

Its all I've ever known. There was a time I would have been envious of having that luxury but now its all I know. I've worked seven days a week for 48 years now and have no regrets.

I suppose those are the keys. Not working on Sunday is all I've ever known. I was raised that way, and people practiced it around me. It wasn't a hardship or struggle for the people I knew to not work on Sunday, it was just the norm. I really didn't give it much thought

Like you, I have no regrets. I don't have any examples of people around me who have kept their nose to the grindstone 24/7 all their lives and thought, "gee, my life would have been so much more productive and enjoyable if I had been like them."

Don't get me wrong, I respect and understand anyone who has to work all the time to put food on the table and clothes on their children's backs. It's just that most people I know are way beyond that. The basics come fairly easy these days as compared to my grandparent's generation who did have to work sun ip to sun down just to acquire the basics.
Sure, most people tell themselves they do it to have food and clothes, but most of it is for all the toys we want. I guess I just don't have an appetite for a lot of toys.

Human behavior, including mine, my family's, and all others in the world has always fascinated me. I'm always curiois if people can explain what makes them tick; I've found that most can't, at least not in a logical manner.

I've always welcomed anyone who could explain how my life would be so much better if I had lived like my pants were on fire all the time as opppsed to how I have lived, but I have yet to hear that satisfying explanation.
Not anyone's place to explain to you how your live could be better. It's yours and yours only. You do as you see fit. That's what it's for.

Latest posts