Time Change

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":3g7zjof4 said:
herofan":3g7zjof4 said:
M-5":3g7zjof4 said:
Jed is a Farmer

Wow, that was a great answer. I never would have guessed that. I thought this was a forum about baking cookies.

I guess that shows difference in cultures. My grandfather was a farmer all his life and he didn't work on Sunday, nor did he allow work to be done on his farm in Sunday unless it was an emergency.

I mentioned dairy because that is the only farm activity from my area that "must go on" on Sunday. I wasn't trying to be weird, but just drawing from what I am accustomed to.
This certainly didn't help you.

Your are correct, I will admit.

I suppose in my mind I was still just wondering why a person couldn't take a day off and what was so serious that it couldn't wait until Monday when stores were open again, and around here, Sunday is always the day that people take off. I know several people who aren't religious, but they still take Sunday off.

But yes, I suppose that post did fuel it some.

TexasBred":1jjgj4lz said:
herofan":1jjgj4lz said:
M-5":1jjgj4lz said:
Jed is a Farmer

Wow, that was a great answer. I never would have guessed that. I thought this was a forum about baking cookies.

I guess that shows difference in cultures. My grandfather was a farmer all his life and he didn't work on Sunday, nor did he allow work to be done on his farm in Sunday unless it was an emergency.

I mentioned dairy because that is the only farm activity from my area that "must go on" on Sunday. I wasn't trying to be weird, but just drawing from what I am accustomed to.
What would you expect from someone that only works 8mths a yr

M-5":2dkk21kp said:
TexasBred":2dkk21kp said:
herofan":2dkk21kp said:

I don't know anyone who only works 8 months a year, so I never really thought about what to expect from them, but if I encounter anyone like that, I'll report on it.

herofan":23i6jniy said:
M-5":23i6jniy said:
TexasBred":23i6jniy said:

I don't know anyone who only works 8 months a year, so I never really thought about what to expect from them, but if I encounter anyone like that, I'll report on it.
. Your a school teacher right?? 3 mths in summer off week at Thanksgiving 2 weeks at Christmas a week at spring break every holiday

M-5":3t444p9n said:
herofan":3t444p9n said:
M-5":3t444p9n said:

. Your a school teacher right?? 3 mths in summer off week at Thanksgiving 2 weeks at Christmas a week at spring break every holiday

Oh, you mean that. Yes, I'm a school teacher. I guess I interpreted your comment as a negative one as if someone were accepting a year's salary but only putting in 8 months of actual work. I couldn't think of anyone that did that.

As for all my time off on the job, that's just how my job works. It was a choice I had and made when I was a teen and had a choice of what to do with my life.

I've sometimes wondered if I should have been a lawyer or something in the medical profession. As much college as I had to put in to be a teacher, and with as little respect as teachers get from others, I may as well have done something to make the big bucks; however, I liked the idea of teaching youngsters, so I'm really doing what I love to do.

I'm not one bit ashamed of the schedule. As I get the time off, so do the kids. I think kids need time to be kids and be able to do things other than just be at school, like working on the farm. There are a lot of kids around here who love the farm.

herofan":1nwkb138 said:
Yes, I'm a school teacher. .................I've sometimes wondered if I should have been a lawyer or something in the medical profession. As much college as I had to put in to be a teacher, and with as little respect as teachers get from others, I may as well have done something to make the big bucks; however, I liked the idea of teaching youngsters, so I'm really doing what I love to do.

FWIW, I commend you for your choice because the youth is the future of the country and a good teacher can make a huge difference. I can remember two teachers who really made a huge difference in my life and I will always remember and appreciate them for what they did.

Jogeephus":1iz6ub77 said:
herofan":1iz6ub77 said:
Yes, I'm a school teacher. .................I've sometimes wondered if I should have been a lawyer or something in the medical profession. As much college as I had to put in to be a teacher, and with as little respect as teachers get from others, I may as well have done something to make the big bucks; however, I liked the idea of teaching youngsters, so I'm really doing what I love to do.

FWIW, I commend you for your choice because the youth is the future of the country and a good teacher can make a huge difference. I can remember two teachers who really made a huge difference in my life and I will always remember and appreciate them for what they did.

Thank you. I had a few teachers that stood out to me as well. I think that is one thing that inspired me to become a teacher. It is a good feeling to know a positive difference was made in a student's life.

A world without good teachers would be terrible I think because I can only tolerate just so many ignorant people and I guess in a way teachers are our first line defense against this.

I used to teach and left the field after three years. I hated the direction that it was headed with the softening of discipline (more in the vein of not retaining students for horrible grades, less stringent detention protocols, etc.). Plus, the lack of community support is a slap in the face. Education is a pillar of the community, and it's hardly treated that way anymore.

Bestoutwest":1nw67j51 said:
I used to teach and left the field after three years. I hated the direction that it was headed with the softening of discipline (more in the vein of not retaining students for horrible grades, less stringent detention protocols, etc.). Plus, the lack of community support is a slap in the face. Education is a pillar of the community, and it's hardly treated that way anymore.

It can certainly be frustrating at times with all the things you mentioned. All the senseless paper trails and red tape make it even worse at times.
It's a shame that teachers can't just teach anymore without all the distractions.

Latest posts