Tigerstripe

Help Support CattleToday:

Years ago I lived in the Brenham area of south central texas. There was a ranch that specialized in producing replacement females. Theyn had f1 Brahman X Hereford and F1 Brahman X Angus. They would also breed the f1's back to a Santa Gertrudis. That cross made a cow that came as close to a F1 as you can get (7/16 Brahman).

That cross has too much Brahman for top dollar as a feeder calf, BUT if you are trying for replacement heifers - the steers are a by product.

Northern Rancher":2e7ju0ee said:
Does anybody down in the south run a crossbreeding program with Braford and Brangus cattle. I think that would be a pretty good cross. I ranch about 500 miles north of the U'S border and the kids raise some buckers-there's a few Brangus and Tiger stripes in the bunch they are not bad cattle.

people mate tigerstripes with brangus bulls all the time. i never hear much of anything about "brafords" though.

We don't call them tigerstripes over here in Australia,just F1s or Brahman Hereford. Nevertheless they are amongst the best cross. We have a fair few of them. We cross them to Hereford,South Devon and Brahman and occasionally to Angus.
Good cattle,they are a cross that affords you the ability to cross anything with and get a good return.
Colin

[http://cattletoday.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=5337][/img]

WELL, IS THIS WHAT YOUR CALLING TIGER STRIPES?
I GOT THE PHOTOS INTO PHOTO GALLERY JUST HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO QUITE FIQURE OUT HOW TO COPY AND PASTE IN TOPIC YET. SO IF YOU WANT TO SEE GO TO PHOTO GALLERY.

ROCK-N-W":11jcz2x8 said:
[http://cattletoday.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=5337][/img]

WELL, IS THIS WHAT YOUR CALLING TIGER STRIPES?
I GOT THE PHOTOS INTO PHOTO GALLERY JUST HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO QUITE FIQURE OUT HOW TO COPY AND PASTE IN TOPIC YET. SO IF YOU WANT TO SEE GO TO PHOTO GALLERY.

Is this the pic you been trying to get on here?:

BrahAngus_mix_copy.jpg

Thanks, thats one of em, still learning how to navigate around this site. I quess I could of just of asked one of my kids how. They are teenagers and they know everything, but Naw that ain't happening.

Australian Cattleman":1kgad4td said:
We don't call them tigerstripes over here in Australia,just F1s or Brahman Hereford.

We always referred to them as brindles out of.....(whatever cross it was) Gert crosses will give you brindled cattle as well.

First time I heard tigerstripe was in this forum. Still don't hear folks around here call them that. Generally you see a thick brindled baldy with ear and it is inherently obvious what it is.

while the photogallery is not wanting to cooperate here is a trick for posting pics i am using. go to photogallery. click on the thumbnail to enlarge a photo. then RIGHT click on the photo you want to post in a message. when you right click on the photo the little screen that pops up will have an option that says "Copy Image Location." click that one and then come back to a message box. in the message box click the "Img" yellow button, then right click in the message box and select "paste" and then hit the "Img" button again. viola!

nortexsoook":3cbekl43 said:
On the other hand, look at that "pasture" in the background. How would a frame 7 angus or simmental look after any amount of time out there?

That ugly tiger could probably still bring in a respectable calf and breed back out there.
This female lgives you an opportunity to re-evaluate your knowledge of Beef Cattle Judging!

There is NO way that cow could produce a "respectable calf". She might breed back "out there", but her next calf would be just as dis-respectable as she is, regardless of what bull embarrassed himself with her!

Don't make excuses for poor Phenotype and poor Genotype! Lousy is lousy and bad is bad! Aim higher with your mental image of acceptable Genetics. This certainly isn't it, and she is not a "Make do, and wait and see what happens!" Having NOTHING is better than attempting to make something out of this sows ear!

DOC HARRIS

I have to agree Doc. THAT cow in the first pic is just looking for some place too die. The groceries it will take to get her to breed and raise a calf will be 2 or 3 times what she will bring at the stockyard. Oh there are people who will buy crap like that and try to make a few bucks off of them but the industry as a whole would be better off if they used better judgement. F1s are usually deep ribbed high capacity cows (like the many better examples which have been posted on here since). That hard doing narrow made, half starved POS is the kind of cow that either dies on you or calves every 18 - 24 months. Either way you lose money.

Beefy":2e2e1pkj said:
Northern Rancher":2e2e1pkj said:
Does anybody down in the south run a crossbreeding program with Braford and Brangus cattle. I think that would be a pretty good cross. I ranch about 500 miles north of the U'S border and the kids raise some buckers-there's a few Brangus and Tiger stripes in the bunch they are not bad cattle.

people mate tigerstripes with brangus bulls all the time. i never hear much of anything about "brafords" though.
i used a brangus a couple years ago on braford and simbrah's for some replacements got some good one's. breeding those to a angus this spring. brangus are easeier to come by and cheaper to produce and do better at the barn

nortexsoook":1yqm6qq7 said:
As for the picture in this thread I never state anything about her looks. I said she might breed back and raise an acceptable calf (especially for you since 400# is very acceptable in your book under drought conditions LOL). I have seen many poor looking brahman crossbreds that looked like hide and bones raise a decent calf in south texas. Happens all the time.

Look at the picture of the cow AGAIN. She has no depth of rib, spring of rib, guts, and her hind quarter is completely emaciated (showing that all the body tissue that COULD be matabolized for energy already has been) and she was dry. You could assemble a 100 like her and be lucky if half of them were even cycling. THAT is a bad cow in a body condition score ONE. There ain't no way she breeds, has a live calf, and then milks enough to get that calf to 400 pounds without dying unless you put 150 pounds of condition back on her first. We have all seen poor cows get the job done. Unless somebody took that cow to a barn and gave her unlimited hay and 5lbs a day of steer ration shortly after that pic was taken, I bet she laid down and died within a month of that photo. If you see cows like HER "all the time", the buzzards must be as thick as starlings in your part of Texas.

Also I would much rather hear Doc's well though out and reasoned opinions than people tossing names like "blabbermouth" around carelessly any day.

WOW, DIDN'T MEAN TO GET YOU BOYS ALL FIRED UP.
Thanks again on letting me know how to post photos though will save me lots of time, & time is something I seem to be short on.
In defense of my poor ole cow there she is 13 years old drops a calf every year, she was one of the calfs off of the orginal twelve beefmaster's I inherited when I took over ranch. Her calves have paid the rent & helped me purchase better stock, so say what you will she's been a good ole cow What I call a pay the bills cow. Her last steer wieghed 450 lbs at weaning and I recieved 109.00 a lb at market for calf. that was on 9/12/06 and here she is dropping another. We are in some serious drought conditions right now and I know some of you guys out in the midwest & deep south have been there before, so I am open to some suggetions on how to help deal with that. I am going to have to cut my size of herd down and I am putting out lots of extra minerals,liquid feed etc, hay is over 50.00 a roll and that's for junk. Any constructive advice is welcome other wise keep it to yourself.

Beefy, when I right click on photo I do not get copy image location. I have tried just using copy and I have tried using copy shortcut and all the rest. then coming back and pasting not working, could it be something in my profile set up?

ROCK-N-W":33nfrm7t said:
I'm heading to the land of misfit cows with my trusty aid & side kick Sony.
Will no one else admit they have such mongrols? pics to come
true F1 tigers are not mogrels . brindle stripe can come from any number of brahamn influanced cattle. you can get brindle from crossedbred brangus, beefmaster dont mean they aint good but not a true f1 tiger/braford

Latest posts