Tigerstripe/Braford

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldplacecattle

Reaction score
I am sure this question has been answered muiltple times on the forum, but I am having trouble finding an answer that is clear and understandable ( to me).

I understand that a registered Bradford is 3/8 Brahman and 5/8 Hereford. And If I understand correctly, F1 Bradford is 1/2 Brahman and 1/2 Hereford. And it is the same percentages that makeup bring us, only with different breeds.

My question is with the Tiger stripe... Is this just a term used to describe the color (I.e. color that appears to be striped in color) or is this a term for a breed? I see people listing cattle for sale as Bradford/tiger stripe and I also see them identified individually. Does the tiger stripe cattle and F1 Bradford ultimately have the same genetic makeup just with different markings? Or is tigerstripe and Bradford different genetics and/or percentages?

Again, I am certain this has been answered but any information is greatly appreciated! I am trying to learn as much as possible about breeding and welcome any and all comments. I am new to breeding and genetics and not that great at mathematics, so feel free to break it down and talk to me like I'm stupid! Haha!

Thanks in advance and god bless!

:welcome: to the forum!

This is a good question. I don't know the answer and am interested in hearing it also.

Welcome to the forum. The information in your second paragraph is correct, except it's Braford, not Bradford. And technically tiger stripe is the color pattern. Although Brahman - Hereford F1's are usually tiger striped, with varying amounts of white on their faces, they aren't always. Some of them won't have any white, and some will be "Chocolates", which is generally white-faced, with black on the neck and front quarters, blending into dark red in the mid-section, then back to black on the hind quarters. I believe some are also just dark red with white faces, but I'm not sure about that.

Thank you! That makes more sense! So ultimately it is a color variation. The tigers seem to go higher in price in my area.

I understand that a braford is 3/8 Brahman and 5/8 Hereford and a brangus is also 3/8 and 5/8. My question is how to get 3/8 and 5/8??

Oldplacecattle":3frv6twj said:
Thank you! That makes more sense! So ultimately it is a color variation. The tigers seem to go higher in price in my area.

I understand that a braford is 3/8 Brahman and 5/8 Hereford and a brangus is also 3/8 and 5/8. My question is how to get 3/8 and 5/8??

To get Brangus they bred Angus to Brahman to get an F1. Breed that F1 back to Brahman and the result is 3/4 Brahman and 1/4 Angus. Breed that back to full Angus to get the 5/8 - 3/8 ratio.

In addition to the two breeds you mentioned, the same ratio was used to develop the Santa Gertrudis cattle at King Ranch, crossing Brahman and Shorthorn. Maybe others as well, but Brangus and Santa Gertrudis are two of the more common. The ratio for the original Beefmasters was different, wIth I believe 1/2 Brahman, and the other half a mixture of Hereford and Shorthorn (I don't know the proportions). In recent years some breeders have added Angus to the mix to get black hide.