F1 tigerstripe QUESTION

Help Support CattleToday:

rocking A

Reaction score
i was told the other day to breed brahmans to a hereford bull. but everthing i've been reading says the opposite that i should breed herefords to a brahman bull. So can anyone tell me if it makes a difference? i was kinda under the inpression that it was the 50/50 ratio that was important

The end product will be equal. Calving will be safer breeding brahma cows to hereford bulls than the othe way around. :2cents:

ANAZAZI":30caktvv said:
The end product will be equal. Calving will be safer breeding brahma cows to hereford bulls than the othe way around. :2cents:
I agree with this.
The major difference may be the price getting started. Those Brahman mommas are going to cost a pretty penny.

There are problems both ways .. pure bred Brahma cows are late matureing and usually won't breed until they are about 22 months old ...and from what I've seen won't breed back unless they are in pretty good condition ... Calving issues breeding Brahma bulls to hereford cows as well as if you are in the south its harder to keep the hereford cows in condition ...

JSCATTLE":1ndulxtb said:
There are problems both ways .. pure bred Brahma cows are late matureing and usually won't breed until they are about 22 months old ...and from what I've seen won't breed back unless they are in pretty good condition ... Calving issues breeding Brahma bulls to hereford cows as well as if you are in the south its harder to keep the hereford cows in condition ...
yep be good to know how deep in the south they are,, cause hereford do good here

rocking A":32cryzhd said:
i was told the other day to breed brahmans to a hereford bull. but everthing i've been reading says the opposite that i should breed herefords to a brahman bull. So can anyone tell me if it makes a difference? i was kinda under the inpression that it was the 50/50 ratio that was important

Big difference Need to run a Hereford bull on Brimmer cows or get good at pulling calves.
Brimmer bull over hereford cows increase's birth weight 10 to 25%
Hereford over Brimmer reduces birthweight.
Go to TAMU website lot's of info on this
http://msucares.com/livestock/beef/geneticslunch4.pdf

Latest posts