Braford and tigerstripe?

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN":ou12vm1n said:
my experience has been the opposite,, more pronounced stripes with the greys
I think that's what he was saying if I'm a readin' it right.

My experiance is it's a roll of the dice. Cow will stripe a calf one year and the next you get a red baldie with the same bull. Some say use a bull with some red in it. I got the same results. I gave up thinking about it. Just figured I would take what I get and worry about more important issues.

i guess when he was talking white humpy he was talking grey... which is what i thought were actual """grey brahman"" ive used both... the reds would throw stripes some not as loud as the grey...course with american bra.. that dont mean a whole lot theres a little color hid in all of em... greys in red and reds in grey.. if i had to choose a color on the F1 it would be solid red. white face hereford color patterns

ALACOWMAN":ldchgp9b said:
i guess when he was talking white humpy he was talking grey... which is what i thought were actual """grey brahman"" ive used both... the reds would throw stripes some not as loud as the grey...course with american bra.. that dont mean a whole lot theres a little color hid in all of em... greys in red and reds in grey.. if i had to choose a color on the F1 it would be solid red. white face hereford color patterns
Around here the stripes will usually bring a little more. I think some people like the idea of being able to say they have a herd of tiger stripes. :roll: Figuring out people is a lot harder than figuring out a cow.

ALACOWMAN":1mdxwbbz said:
http://www.brushybranchlandandcattle.com/f1heifer2.jpg like the pattern on this little gal. beautilful heifer out of hereford cow
Thats one heck of a little heifer. Yours?

ALACOWMAN":37smkuf0 said:
Nova made the comment about difference in prices and color patterns....see it all the time...but the few I've had it seemed the stripes were calmer than the chocolates and the red/white faced were the wildest...just my experience.

:lol: Mind you, none were petalbe..

novatech":30p7aq18 said:
My experiance is it's a roll of the dice. Cow will stripe a calf one year and the next you get a red baldie with the same bull. Some say use a bull with some red in it. I got the same results. I gave up thinking about it. Just figured I would take what I get and worry about more important issues.
:clap:

How is there an F1 Braford, Brangus, Santa Gertrudis? They are all 3/8's brahma and 5/8's Angus, Hereford, or Shorthorn. You can have F1 crosses of bramaha and the other breed but that doesn't make them a Brangus, Braford, or Santa Gertrudis. An F1 cross is 1/2 and 1/2 or 4/8 and 4/8 for the fraction challenged. IMO if you consider a tiger stripe a Braford you might as well call it a tiger stripe hereford or Bramaha because it's none of the 3.

F1 BRAFORD brahman- hereford bra'ford ....F1 ""first cross"" F1 BRAFORD the mating of purebred brahman to hereford ... never heard of a F1 gert ,, course the crossing of a gert to hereford makes a great moma cow ive had my F1s called brahman theres really no reason to carry a text book around every time your talking about cattle

High Cotton":3ewh969z said:
How is there an F1 Braford, Brangus, Santa Gertrudis? They are all 3/8's brahma and 5/8's Angus, Hereford, or Shorthorn. You can have F1 crosses of bramaha and the other breed but that doesn't make them a Brangus, Braford, or Santa Gertrudis. An F1 cross is 1/2 and 1/2 or 4/8 and 4/8 for the fraction challenged. IMO if you consider a tiger stripe a Braford you might as well call it a tiger stripe hereford or Bramaha because it's none of the 3.

Technically you are correct, but people tend to call 'em what they want. There are also people who call any calf a yearling regardless of it's age or weight. I think that's more of a regional thing. There are also people that call a crossbred a composite, even though it's really not. That's usually people who sell crossbred bulls like Balancer, Limflex and Sim-Angus and mostly has to do with marketing, in my opinion. I'm betting there are folks that wouldn't touch a crossbred bull with a ten foot pole, but if you call it a composite they won't think twice. Kinda like when they started calling used cars "pre-owned". It just sounds better to some.

VanC":zee7339b said:
High Cotton":zee7339b said:

Technically you are correct, but people tend to call 'em what they want. There are also people who call any calf a yearling regardless of it's age or weight. I think that's more of a regional thing. There are also people that call a crossbred a composite, even though it's really not. That's usually people who sell crossbred bulls like Balancer, Limflex and Sim-Angus and mostly has to do with marketing, in my opinion. I'm betting there are folks that wouldn't touch a crossbred bull with a ten foot pole, but if you call it a composite they won't think twice. Kinda like when they started calling used cars "pre-owned". It just sounds better to some.
more politicaly correct, like the best new cars,, make the best used cars :cowboy:

What concerns me is the people that can't figure out what a man is talking about if he says F1 Braford or F1 Brangus. Seems self explanitory to me. That is asuming he knows what an F1 is in the first place. Of course a lot of things which are common practice to me may be totally foreign to others. Like if someone around here says they raise black baldies. It could be Angus X Brahman or Angus X Hereford. If he said he had Tiger stripes it may not define the color at all but may mean he had F1 Brafords ( F1 Hereford X Brahman). All pretty trite in my book. If I don't understand I ask if I need to.
All this reminds me of the SELL and SALE thread.

The OPs original question was pertaining to why there are two different categories for Braford and Tiger on "The Cattle Range" website. The only way to answer that was exactly the way I did. It had nothing to do with what cattlemen call their cows. I think we all know what we mean when we say "F1 Braford" but that was not the question.

Isomade":36xn6z9e said:
The OPs original question was pertaining to why there are two different categories for Braford and Tiger on "The Cattle Range" website. The only way to answer that was exactly the way I did. It had nothing to do with what cattlemen call their cows. I think we all know what we mean when we say "F1 Braford" but that was not the question.
He said the cattle range not "The Cattle Range" website.
Now that I know that, the answer is that "The Cattle Range" probably ment for the Braford catagory to be for purebred 3/8 X 5/8 but the people entering the add wanted to cover all their basis, no matter what people called them, so they listed under both Tigers and Brafords.