Braford and tigerstripe?

Help Support CattleToday:

Dixieangus

Reaction score
Ok i thought tigerstripe was just another name for a braford, but on the cattle range they have two different categories "tigerstipes" and "Brafords"?

Generally a "tigerstripe is an F1 cross of Brahman x Hereford, 50/50.
Braford is a registrable breed that is 3/8 Brahamn and 5/8 Hereford.

Lot of times tigers are called F1 brafords, like F1 brangus to note the type of F1 it is.
Neither F1 is truly Braford or Brangus as they are not proper percentages.

That's how I understand it anyway.

cmf1":dbznu5lz said:

Lot of times tigers are called F1 brafords, like F1 brangus to note the type of F1 it is.

:nod: a Braford is a composit and can be reproduced. The only way to get a true Tiger is by a crossing Herf and Brahman.

You can get braford out of the same stock you get tiger stripes out of . Tigers have lines on them if you look real close . Brafords will be solid with a white face/ motley face. But they are both out of Brahma / hereford .

cmf1":1n0ygfw5 said:

This is the way it is. Braford is a registered breed as you stated. Tigerstripes are F1s that happen to show the stripes. They are no more superior than the F1s that are solid.

JSCATTLE":1n0ygfw5 said:
You can get braford out of the same stock you get tiger stripes out of . Tigers have lines on them if you look real close . Brafords will be solid with a white face/ motley face. But they are both out of Brahma / hereford .
This is incorrect.

i didn't say you could get registerable brafords . A braford is a cross between a Brahma and a hereford . F1 is first cross some come out tiger stripe and some come out solid . They are still braford .

JSCATTLE":3h4g8pok said:
i didn't say you could get registerable brafords . A braford is a cross between a Brahma and a hereford . F1 is first cross some come out tiger stripe and some come out solid . They are still braford .
No actually they aren't. A Braford is 5/8 Herf and 3/8 Brahman. A true Golden certified Tiger is out of a registered parent from each breed. That is like saying you have Brangus cows because you cross Angus and Brahman. You can call em that but they ain't Brangus any more than a Tiger is Braford.

Well down here non braford cows out of Brahma / hereford bring a premium . And they raise just as good a calf as a cow with papers . So according to you only a cow with paper s can be a braford ? So I guess all of us folks with commercial cattle should start calling all of our cows cross bred . Instead of braford brangus etc...at least until some one with a bunch of money starts a registry for our muts. Like they did when they started crossing angus and simmental . Or the new black hereford .

JSCATTLE":3z47nta5 said:
Well down here non braford cows out of Brahma / hereford bring a premium . And they raise just as good a calf as a cow with papers . So according to you only a cow with paper s can be a braford ? So I guess all of us folks with commercial cattle should start calling all of our cows cross bred . Instead of braford brangus etc...at least until some one with a bunch of money starts a registry for our muts. Like they did when they started crossing angus and simmental . Or the new black hereford .
No that ain't what I said. I will put it plainly - A Braford ain't a Tiger. And I don't give two shyts if a cow has papers or not. I never said that. As a matter of fact I don't own a cow with papers. Now go back and read the OPs question, then re-read my post and tell me where I gave the wrong answer.

JSCATTLE":8q781j9b said:

Brangus is 3/8 Brahman and 5/8 angus. Braford is 3/8 Brahman and 5/8 Herf. Call your cows whatever you want. There is no way to get an F-1 with that blend.

Folks are calling any black cow with ear a brangus. Too often they are "A-Plus" which is a B-Minus in my opinion. Mine don't need papers either. Just enough ear to get it done in this heat.

I wasn't disputing the fact that a true registered braford is 3/8 5/8 . What I meant by my first post was that on the first cross you can end up with some tiger stripe and some red white face whether you call a f 1 a braford or not doesn't matter to me . In my part of Texas and further south they have braford sales which technically is a cross bred sale since most are f1s.

JSCATTLE":1kzpm9zi said:
I wasn't disputing the fact that a true registered braford is 3/8 5/8 . What I meant by my first post was that on the first cross you can end up with some tiger stripe and some red white face whether you call a f 1 a braford or not doesn't matter to me . In my part of Texas and further south they have braford sales which technically is a cross bred sale since most are f1s.
And I agree with that. I was just trying to not confuse the OP as to why there are listings for each on the website. There is a difference between two cattlemen having a conversation and explaining something technically. I have "Brangus and Angus" cattle if YOU were to ask me. But ain't none of em papered or have the technically correct bloodline percentages to be either.

Isomade":3qdz5uiw said:
JSCATTLE":3qdz5uiw said:
And I agree with that. I was just trying to not confuse the OP as to why there are listings for each on the website. There is a difference between two cattlemen having a conversation and explaining something technically. I have "Brangus and Angus" cattle if YOU were to ask me. But ain't none of em papered or have the technically correct bloodline percentages to be either.
My cattle are the same long eared Angus. I guess my explaining skills aren't the best. I almost sold my commercial brangus last year to buy some tigers . But I talked my self out of it .no use in going back in debt just because they are pretty .

In my area there can be an F1 Braford,which can be any one of a mutitude of colors. Generally the tiger stripe is the most desirable but red baldies are very common. Braford is used to distinguish it from the F1 Brangus or any other F1 cross.
There can also be a tigerstripe that is not an F1 Braford. The word is only being used to describe the color of the animal.
If some said they had Brafords I would have to ask if they were purebred 3/8th's 5/8th's, it is no telling what they really mean. A lot of times they really mean F1 Brahman x Hereford, Red Baldies ( I know, a red baldie is a red Angus X Herford), which are tiger stripes that did not stripe out.
I don't think there are any rules when describing a cow only local colloquialisms.

just like saying black baldy... what comes to most folks mind?? ""though not always the case"" i call em F1 brafords myself... lot simpler to folks that already are familiar with the cross. the term F1 itself should be clear

JSCATTLE":2evf9g8c said:
you aint as incorrect,, as their lettnin' on... most know what you meant

I use registered horned hereford bulls on grade brahma cross cows. Some of the cows probably have other lines in their history. It has been my experience that a white humpy horned cow crossed with a hereford bull will get more red white faced calves. The darker cows IE grays or browns will often have tiger stripes. If the tiger stripes are then bred to hereford bulls you get mostly red neck white faced calves , some will have a red ring around an eye or both eyes. Feeders like the red neck white faced steers with a little ear . The ear shows Hybrid vigor and there is enough hereford in the calf to stand the cold better.
Funny thing about this place. I get out of the shower into clean clothes come in here and log on and I start smelling cows. Good place. Thanks.
PS before the shower I smell lots worse than the cows.

Latest posts