Tigerstripe

Help Support CattleToday:

Allcowman, I got that buddy was just playing along, my comments we're just in reply to your (stopping that mongrolization comment you made) on A xbreeding post.
I wasn't offended actually made me laugh :cboy:
I did put a picture of a calf in my photo gallery, just for you.
If I could get it to post I would. still having trouble,bringing um in. So don't let yer shorts get all bunched up, life's too short and too much work to be done. Not all my cows are mixed up maybe it's just me thats mixed up, Whatcha thank?

Allcowman, I got that buddy was just playing along, my comments we're just in reply to your (stopping that mongrolization comment you made) on A xbreeding post.
I wasn't offended actually made me laugh :cboy:
I did put a picture of a calf in my photo gallery, just for you.
If I could get it to post I would. still having trouble,bringing um in. So don't let yer shorts get all bunched up, life's too short and too much work to be done. Not all my cows are mixed up maybe it's just me thats mixed up, Whatcha thank? :lol:

ROCK-N-W":3jsoawg2 said:
Beefy, when I right click on photo I do not get copy image location. I have tried just using copy and I have tried using copy shortcut and all the rest. then coming back and pasting not working, could it be something in my profile set up?

I ain't beefy, but use the properties. Right click and scroll down to properties. THe URL is on there, so highlight that, copy, and paste to your post. THen highlight again and click on the img button above. Then submit and see if it comes up.

Shouldn't be anything to do with your profile setup...

poorlittle_mongrol_copy.jpg
[/img]

Thanks, Always nice to have a little help from your friends. :lol:

ROCK-N-W":1nw3nk11 said:
WOW, DIDN'T MEAN TO GET YOU BOYS ALL FIRED UP.
Thanks again on letting me know how to post photos though will save me lots of time, & time is something I seem to be short on.
In defense of my poor ole cow there she is 13 years old drops a calf every year, she was one of the calfs off of the orginal twelve beefmaster's I inherited when I took over ranch. Her calves have paid the rent & helped me purchase better stock, so say what you will she's been a good ole cow What I call a pay the bills cow. Her last steer wieghed 450 lbs at weaning and I recieved 109.00 a lb at market for calf. that was on 9/12/06 and here she is dropping another. We are in some serious drought conditions right now and I know some of you guys out in the midwest & deep south have been there before, so I am open to some suggetions on how to help deal with that. I am going to have to cut my size of herd down and I am putting out lots of extra minerals,liquid feed etc, hay is over 50.00 a roll and that's for junk. Any constructive advice is welcome other wise keep it to yourself.

I don't think anybody has said anything critical about YOUR cow. The discussion has been centered on the National Georgraphic cow that started the string. I would tag your cow as a body condition score 3 or high 2. If you get some rain to go with your supplement she should be good for another calf or two. IF the drought don't break soon and it is costing you ~$310 a head (5 $50 roll bales and 12 $5 sacks of feed) just to keep cows around, I don't think I would spend that on a 13 year old.

Yeah I fiqured that after I reread into it. IE: NOT SMARTER THAN A FITH GRADER. There is no such thing as a 5.00 bag of feed anymore & I believe 50.00 a roll for hay won't last long either. Another rancher I know just paid $48.50 a roll and that was for a tractor trailer load. The last trailer load of hay I got was $32 ea & that was just 2 months ago. feed runs $7.68 a bag here unless you buy by the ton,which I do it's still 6.00+.
Drought index here is at 700 I have had less than 1/2" this year total. and not alot last year. I was going thru herd this weekend trying to make those tough choices of who goes and who stays. Got 8 real nice replacement hiefs that we were gonna keep now thay are going , also some of the older cows but thats tough when they give you a decent calf every yearand pay those bills. I have a 17 year rold Black Angus still dropping every year,somehow she manages to miss the bus, even when my standing rule is to sell all cows when thay reach the age of 15. Go fiqure
I did hook up with dieselbeef & purchase a few tons of his citrus pellots, the cows seem to like it pretty good,& $25.00 for 350lbs 1 55gal barrel ain't too bad.

thanks for the props fella...sorry bout the emails ya got..wasnt my price increase...aint it the way though. diesel..feed..insurance..taxes..(okay im done whinin)

i like yer cows...if i had the room id buy some more

A tigerstripe question . . .

If a tiger is a brahman hereford F1, and it comes out brindle, how were the brafords created? I thought they were brahman poll hereford cross and obviously don't have the tigerstripe pattern. Is it the use of the polled animal or something else entirely?

Sorry for my ignorance, I have not had alot to do with either of these breeds.

Keren":1ixsi3tc said:

If a tiger is a brahman hereford F1, and it comes out brindle, how were the brafords created? I thought they were brahman poll hereford cross and obviously don't have the tigerstripe pattern. Is it the use of the polled animal or something else entirely?

Historically, most people refer to a F1 Hereford: Brahman cross 50:50 as a 'Tigerstripe' or just as an F1. They have no breed association thus no official name. Brafords historically are 5/8 Hereford and 3/8s Brahman giving them more classic Hereford markings. Now as I understand it their association has become a lot more flexible so that it is possible too register multiple different percentages of Brahman and Hereford including even F1s as Brafords. Somebody with more knowledge of this than me needs to correct me if I am wrong here.

Brandonm2":1n4yueer said:
Keren":1n4yueer said:

Historically, most people refer to a F1 Hereford: Brahman cross 50:50 as a 'Tigerstripe' or just as an F1. They have no breed association thus no official name. Brafords historically are 5/8 Hereford and 3/8s Brahman giving them more classic Hereford markings. Now as I understand it their association has become a lot more flexible so that it is possible too register multiple different percentages of Brahman and Hereford including even F1s as Brafords. Somebody with more knowledge of this than me needs to correct me if I am wrong here.
that about sums it up. purebred brafords 3/8 5/8 have more hereford influance and the color pattern, the braford assocation lets you breed the percentage you want depending on the location. if you need more brahman blood or less. most southern ranchers don't care they want the F1 moma to heck with the papers

nortexsoook":38t5ap4w said:
More tigers:

There's some cows that would create some real excitement at the salebarn. They'll be dropping calves for a dozen and half years, lose darn few if any, and have plenty of milk all summer long. All you have to do is stay out of their way and let them do their job.

backhoeboogie":bxzckg7y said:
nortexsoook":bxzckg7y said:
More tigers:

There's some cows that would create some real excitement at the salebarn. They'll be dropping calves for a dozen and half years, lose darn few if any, and have plenty of milk all summer long. All you have to do is stay out of their way and let them do their job.
with a strong emphasis on stay out of their way. i got one that had calf #14 last month but she's been a special cow too me she does her thing and never has been a moments trouble ..ever. other than a little eye problem last fall that i got cleared up. wish all had the disposition she has. i raised her moma a purebred red brahman she had the same disposition. so did her sister.

if you click on that one picture it will bring up others. i like the cut in the second photo the best.

brindle (tiger stripes) do not necessarily have to have brahman in them. In South AL and MS you will find waht I call woods cows, form indeterminate breeding. I know of one herd that was almost entirely brindle that had to my knowledge never had brahman blood infused. The cattle were raised on a survival of the fittest type mentallity, no feed, if the calf had to be pulled the cow died. These cattle had some jersey in the mix way back, a little hereford, a little charolais and a lot of the old Angus. Don't know exatly were the brindle color came from but it was there. These were cattle of my Grandad (my dad father) he almost alway ran an Angus bull, he ran a Herford bull one time, and a charolais bull one time other than that he always ran an ANgus bull.

phillse":2txfl3zt said:
brindle (tiger stripes) do not necessarily have to have brahman in them.

There are a whole lot of breeds out there with brahman influence. Gerts, beefmaster etc. Grandaddy had pastures full of brindled cows growing up and I don't think he ever had much hereford. He definately had some bos indicus influenced cattle tho. I remember when Santa Gertrudis was THE cow to have on your place and he had several in the 60's.

I agree backhoeboogie, that many breeds have bos indicus influence but I have seen brindles that id not have any of those breeds in them. I admit taht u more readily see brindles from bos indicus influenced cattle but bos indicus influence is not necessarily the only way to get brindles even if it is the easiest and most common way to get brindles.

it aint the brindle color that makes the cow its the cross. i had just soon my F1'S be red white face if color were the choice. those brindle cows your granddad had. would had fewer calving problems if they had been some brahman blood in em. other than malpresentation. although with brahman blood and survival of the fittest you would have cattle that would give you a good rippin

I agree color does not make a cow good. Personally i don't care what color a cow is as long as she raises a good calf & I don't get docked too bad. And yess those cattle my granddad had were great cows, we got three from him never had to pull a calf and those little 900 # cows would wean as heavy a calf as the bigger cows when a good bull covered them. Never had to pull a calf out of those three cows. They produced some our best commercial brood cows, never got a brindle calf, always threw red calfs bred to red bulls and black when bred to black bulls. Wish i could find some more like them, plus they were not to wild just protective of calves, like to see that in a cow.