tigerstripe cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":44s31hcu said:
KNERSIE":44s31hcu said:
Taurus":44s31hcu said:
Why the tigerstripe are so wild? Is it a genetic thing or what? I would expect a docile cow out of a hereford cow...or was it a brahman cow?

More often than not they are the result of a hereford bull on brahman cows. They aren't that bad for disposition, but breed them back to a brahman bull and you'll have your hands full.

The difference is it just takes one way a little longer to get to boiling. But it will boil as well.
99.9% of the problem with them usually come's from the person handling them.
They are quirky cattle kinda like Jack Russells and you have to be about a half bubble out of plum yourself to own and work them.

That's funny and very true!

Taurus":c2akgrox said:
ALACOWMAN":c2akgrox said:
Taurus":c2akgrox said:
Why the tigerstripe are so wild? Is it a genetic thing or what? I would expect a docile cow out of a hereford cow...or was it a brahman cow?
most of it is in the cross, it sets them on fire.... i raised them, and simbra F1'S... the tigers were mean, the simbras were flighty..... if i were to start over now, id use hereford cow's
Do you think it has do with Brahman genetics that is causing the wild disposition in the cross? I noticed it in Highland x Brahman crosses too.
id be lying to say it aint.. the majority of ""bos taurus"" especially british cattle,, can basically be handled the same ... brahma can smell a rat quicker than any, their intellegent.. which is why we think there nuts.. they will let you in their flight zone, as long as they feel , theres still a flight....you crowd their space they will make a clearing, agile as deer... can stand flat footed and clear a fence :nod:

Knersie you are right it is a better temperment cross with the Hereford bull over the Brimmer cow all joking aside.
All mine have more Hereford traits than Brimmer and that is one reason I prefer the dark red's they usually have a better attitude. Again 99% of the problem occur's when you close the gate on the pen's. I have had people ask can they come and help no way. I can pen and sort em in 30 minutes with a sorting stick or paddle. What ever you do don't use a hot shot unless you are prepared for the rodeo. Had one flip completely over upside down in the chute, now that was fun.
Had to ace the heck out of her then wrap chain's around her hocks and lift her out of the chute with the tractor. That chute issue has since been resolved with steel bar's welded across the top.
This is the one that flipped over in the chute she is no longer with me.
PICT0005.jpg

I had four hold overs from my Dad's herd that were brindle or tigers.. Two of em you didnt want to even try to mess with their calves when they had em. One of em ran me around my pickup twice before I had to jump in the truck bed! But one of those Tiger cows was the best cow I ever owned.

Just bought 17 F1 Braford/Tigerstripe (Hudgin Bull X Brite Ranch Herford Cows) couple of weeks ago. Plan on putting a char bull on them. Their longevity and maternal instincts is what sold me.

johnsonhollow":3rusq8i2 said:
Just bought 17 F1 Braford/Tigerstripe (Hudgin Bull X Brite Ranch Herford Cows) couple of weeks ago. Plan on putting a char bull on them. Their longevity and maternal instincts is what sold me.
Should be some nice cows. I think the right Char on the right Tiger is the biggest weaning calf you can get. Wouldn't mind seeing some pics of those cows if you get time.

midtncattle":1fzslsb7 said:
Johnsonhollow,

Welcome aboard neighbor. Your heifers look great.
Did you see em in person? Or did I miss something on the board?

Isomade":4f48a3r4 said:
midtncattle":4f48a3r4 said:
Johnsonhollow,

midtncattle would be my bother-n-law. I'll post pics once i figure out the best size.

johnsonhollow":hfnzveth said:
Isomade":hfnzveth said:
midtncattle":hfnzveth said:
Johnsonhollow,

midtncattle would be my bother-n-law. I'll post pics once i figure out the best size.
I look forward to the pics, and my apologies for the brother-in-law. :lol:

Nice looking set of heifers johnsonhollow. I'd love to see those on my place. I know I don't need much if any ear in MO but I sure like the look of it.

Thanks for posting the pics. I like to look at tigers with Hudgins influence. Very nice.

Thanks for comments fellows. I've been happy with them. Anxious to see how they raise a calf here in Tennessee.

Latest posts