Help Support CattleToday:

lovecows

Reaction score
He is a January.
10_31_08_023_cropped.jpg

10_31_08_016_cropped.jpg

10_31_08_018_cropped.jpg

10_31_08_019_edited.jpg

He's very nice. Thick topped and deep. Maybe a little more length before he finishes growing would be nice but he's gorgeous. Do I see a little toeing out in his front in the last pic, or is it just the way he's standing?

I will grant you - he is a short yearling - and he WILL change in a few months. BUT - he will always have a HIGH tail setting, and will ALMOST always pass that tail setting on to his progeny. How important that factor is to a breeder's program is the breeder's option.

DOC HARRIS

dun":3jf3nqoq said:
Hair must make him look posty and weak topped

I have to agree..pretty weak in the top and post legged. His hair may also be a little deceiving on really how thick he is.

baxter78":gi6s5l1n said:
grannysoo":gi6s5l1n said:
I've seen worse. He does have some potential.

I agree I have seen much much worse but he is not a bull i would use even still.
With as many good bulls without the problems this bull has why would anyone use him?

I think that this is a pretty good bull. I don't think he is as sway backed as the last 3 pics make him look. He is stretched out pretty good in those last pics. I also don't think he is that post legged either, the way he is stretched out makes him look posty. I think the first pic is a pretty good representation of what he is. I like him, and were I into using Simm bulls I would have a real hard look at him for a herdsire. I will agree on the high tail set though.

To judge him fairly, he needs to have better pics taken. 1 from the side with his head up and his feet squarely under him. And one from behind with his legs more under him than they are in these pics.

Red Bull Breeder":jyps7z2z said:
He is black. Looks more like the black that turned him black than a Simmi.

:clap: :nod:

Take the hair and the show feed away and he'll look very differently. A thick layer of fat covers structural faults, especially over the top, to a great extent. without that fat his break in the topline would have looked much worse.

Thanks for all of your comments. I always learn a lot from this forum. Good to see things from a different perspective. He is a Trademark out of a Dream On cow. He does like to stand "stretched out", which makes him look weak topped. Never crossed my mind that he was post-legged, though. He does have excellent hoof structure and walks with a good stride. (He does not toe out- he's nice a straight.) He is a hairy little dude, that's for sure.
Thanks again for your comments.

I'm not real familiar with Simmy genetics, of course I've heard of Dream On, but what percentage is he? Like others said, he seems to have more Angus characteristics than Simmy. I do like his bone, but not real big topped or thick in the rear.

He is a purebred. You have to go back 4 or 5 generations to find any angus.

I don't dought him being purebred but in 4or5 generations of selecting for angus looks it shows. How many generations do you have to go back to find a fullblood Simmi?

I'm looking at him different than the rest...and i don't know how fat he is, but most pure bred bulls are fed tested. I think he has good muscle and length, and he is still young, agree with Doc the tail head is high. Most of the simmy's brought to the county fairs are black, personally i like the chocolate ones (like mine)..lovecows don't take it personal...they don't like more bulls than they like on these pages. If you like him thats whats important, if he compliments your program you will make money. donna

He is a nice enough bull if he is the kind you like. Folks had ought to raise what they like, i do. He just doesn't have the muscle a Simmi should have.

You said he is a January, is that 08, if so he is only 10 months old. He has allot of potential, would like to see what he looks like full grown.

He looks a pretty decent bull but I can't say I like whats happened to the breed . Seems the headlong pursuit of black as robbed the breed of a lot of really good attributes. Just my opinion.

I think most of you are a bit "overboard". This is a 10 month old CALF. Has plenty of muscle. He is a PUREBRED not a FULLBLOOD. If a breeder wanted that bulging muscle patern of the FB's than that's what they should be breeding. This person is breeding PB's.
I can't really comment on whether he is post legged or not w/ these pics - BUT, if he tends to want to stand naturally stretched out - than that is a real good indication that he is post legged.
I agree that the first pic represents a better image of what he looks like. Nice calf. Great pedigree. If he is NOT post legged, I would sell him as a breeder if he was mine. He is high tail headed, but that doesn't make him a poor bull. I wouldn't want to AI to a bull with that trait, because I don't like it, but he would improve most herds around our neck of the woods.

Latest posts