Thoughts on this bull

Help Support CattleToday:

It's black. I would guess about 12-14 months old and belongs to someone else..
Hopefully you don't care what I or some other blogger thinks about any bull you would have in your herd.
If you have cows as good you would do ok with it.

He appears to have decent front end extension, but can't see his testicles or judge front or rear end width, it almost appears that there is no space between front feet, but I think it just might be the photo.

It's black. I would guess about 12-14 months old and belongs to someone else..
Hopefully you don't care what I or some other blogger thinks about any bull you would have in your herd.
If you have cows as good you would do ok with it.
Sure he cares, that's the whole purpose..and what this site use to be about..id rather find out, I whether I was making a good choice or not here ..and getting some ideas..

Looks like he had a touch of frostbite on his LEFT ear and maybe a little cloudy eye on that LEFT side. :) It's a tough crowd here, I think.

I think the purpose of a professional photo is usually to get attention to attract an in person look at a sale. If I were considering a sight unseen purchase, I would want to see a video with front, side and rear views and on the move to evaluate feet, leg and structure. As well as some information of the cow family. And how he has been managed and fed.

I think a person also needs to consider the intended use of the bull - breed of cows he will be used on, what those cows need from a bull, how the bull would complement the cows, quality of cows the bull would be used on. We all tend to evaluate a bull on his own merit. But beyond some basic traits, it might be ok to relax the standards a bit for most programs compared to what might be required for a high dollar seed stock program. If a person has big bodied, high growth, coarse wastey cows, he might need a different type/look bull than someone who has fine boned, flatter, lower growth cows.

He looks a little unbalanced on his underline. As far as an AI bull, I would want to see some calves or recommendation from someone who has used him. But the fact that Jimbo Fisher is part owner on the bull makes it a no for me.

Not my type but probably has some fancy numbers or his sire does.
Not my type either. I was skimming through the Select Sires catalog and he caught my eye (not in a good way).. apparently he sold for $80,000 a few years ago. No offense to the A&M coach but I would only give stockyard prices for him, and set up a kill date..

Last edited:
He does have extremely good carcass epd's, though, so maybe this is a close as you can get to wagyu and still be angus..

Comes down to the phenotype you seek, i wouldn't touch him but that is because he doesn't have what my eye likes. To me he is very unbalanced and lacks the shape of a nicely muscled bull that i like. Looks more "show" bull to me. But I've noticed many going for that look these days.

I think y'all are being way too kind. In my mind seedstock bulls should be in a league of their own pheno- and genotypically. Here are a couple bulls from SS lineup that to me fit the bill around the same age as that pos bull.
7AN683-SafeNSound_Full-800x516.jpg
7AN568_SirLoin_Full-800x521.jpg
7AN688_Justified-400x267.jpg
Idk, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I'm surprised that they'd market a bull that looks like the one that began this thread.

Not my type either. I was skimming through the Select Sires catalog and he caught my eye (not in a good way).. apparently he sold for $80,000 a few years ago. No offense to the A&M coach but I would only give stockyard prices for him, and set up a kill date..
I thought it was a steer :)

Latest posts