Thoughts on these Black Angus bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Luckiamute

Reaction score
Would love to get any feedback from folks who have used the following Genex bulls. These are bulls I have never used but am considering using and ordering semen for 2014 breeding. I have a small herd of mostly registered Black Angus. Calving ease, growth, maternal, docility and good carcass traits are important -- yea, I know, I want everything. I want the females to make solid replacements for myself or to sell and the males to make good steers. Your thoughts and recommendations on the following, listed in no particular order:
* S A V Priority 7283
* Connealy Irish 024
* E X A R Significant 1769B
For what it's worth, Genex bulls I have used with varying success include S A V Bismarck, TC Gridiron, B C Lookout, Connealy Right Answer 746, S A V Final Answer 0035 and S A V 004 Density 4336, Basin Excitement and Connealy Imprint 8317. I use Genex because I have a Genex rep and AI technician only a few minutes from my house and no one else (ABS, Accelerated Genetics, etc.) is within an hour or two of me.

This year it will all be cows. One first-calf cow and the others have had two to six calves. So far, none have ever had calving issues, but we've had some big calves in terms of birth weights (90 to 100 pounds) the past two years.

I like all those bulls you mentioned. But, if I were going to breed cows for all those traits your wanting except for CE. I would choose Eagle Eye. As he has passed on to the big pasture in the sky and his semen I think is getting in short supply. I have some of his daughters. Really like them. Good feet, legs and just naturally gentle. Don't know about their udders just yet, not calved them yet. Eagle Eye is known for making tremendous females. For your heifers. I really like Solution and Cedar Ridge. JMHO B&G :tiphat:

Luckiamute-

Not knowing any details about your female herd base either Phenotypically or Genetically, it seems to me that, in the past, you have used several bulls in a rather helter-skelter manner without focusing on the strengths and weaknesses of your female genetics. My suggestion would be to conentrate on what genetic power you have in your herd, and then focus on one or two bulls and the strengths that THEY possess genetically and phenotypically to stabilize your replacement females. That will enable you to acquire some consistency in mating selections for future balance of EPD's in selecting bulls for your ultimate goals.

You have stated that you have used nine bulls in the past - and are contemplating using two more - with no particular Genomic-enhanced standard or reason other than you have a stud representative a few minutes from your house. That might be convenient, but perhaps not a well-balanced planned/canned breeding program for the future.

DOC HARRIS

I would agree completely with Doc. If you are keeping back these heifers, the size of your gene pool is getting awfully large and it will be hard to determine which genetic traits are being passed down, and equally as hard to improve your herd in any direction if you keep bouncing around. You probably have a fair amount of Heterozygous genetic combinations within your herd. Are you happy with the consistency of your calf crop? Are you a commercial cow/calf operator? What is your development and marketing approach? All of this is important to consider when making tough decisions, and even more important when introducing new blood into your herd.

I have several SAV Priority daughters in production and they are excellent females. They are structurally correct with good feet and legs. Utter quality is excellent. They are long fronted and attractively made. They are all very docile as well. These calves all came small and grew well. I had purchases heifer sexed SEMEN from Genex and had good good results. Priority's dam, 5530 is one of the top cows at Schaff's.
Hope this is helpful

Latest posts