thoughts on these animals

Help Support CattleToday:

ROB

Reaction score
a bull and one of the heifers he is going to breed. the bull is out of new design 878 and thomas blackbird pride 8609. the heifer is one i raised.

ROB

DSCF0754.jpg

DSCF0750.jpg

i hate to say this but i do not like the bull.he is to gant gutted tween his sheath an his rear legs.an he doesnt look tobe filled out in his flanks at all.now the heifer is a differant story.i like her very much an think she will make a fine calf raiser.

I totally agree with Bigbull.... the bull looks like a front half and a back half put together of two very different animals.

I absolutely LOVE your heifer!\

Michele

First impression of your bull, I don't like him. Looking again, it appears his back feet are on a hay pile. If his back end is even 6 inches above his front, he's going to look a bit gaunt and with structure problems in the legs.

I like the heifer.

mitch2":26e9qv9t said:
I totally agree with Bigbull.... the bull looks like a front half and a back half put together of two very different animals.

I absolutely LOVE your heifer!\

Michele

I'm along the same lines.

I'm kinda with everybody on this aswell.I don't think I would care much for the bull ,but it seems that there is something wrong with the picture.Matbe it's the hay pile or the angle of the picture.Maybe a little different pic would show off any good points a little better.

Does that plastic fence keep them in?

I will say every time you post some pictures I think there's a farmer that takes good care of his livestock.

EAT BEEF":3fv55phj said:
I will say every time you post some pictures I think there's a farmer that takes good care of his livestock.

Well said. The bull may not be phenotypically perfect, but you can tell he takes care of his stock.

thanks for the comments, keep-em comin. i pretty much agree with your opinions on the bull. he is a 4 yr old that had just come off a large group of cows when i got him. he is a neighbors bull that i am using- i had sold our angus heifer bull awhile back and hadn't found a replacement as of yet. this bull although visually unapealling does throw some nice looking calves - and the birthweights are in the low 70's. but i do agree that it looks like someone photoshopped the front and back ends together from two different bulls. He is long as a freight-train and weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 2200 lbs. anyone notice the fly's? i hadn't payed much attention until i looked at the picture and noticed all the flys on the bull. braunviehs don't seemed to be bothered by them. heel flys are sometimes a problem and the occasional horse fly- but that's about it. also, i appreciate the comments about the animals condition....i just don't take pictures of the ones im not so proud of. ;-) the plastic fence suprisingly does do a good job. it's slick so they don't rub on it. once in a while they will try to find the greener grass on the other side and get a rail off, but that rarely happens. i am planning on selling the heifer at a production sale this fall, her calf will qualify to register as a beef builder. im hoping that she will be of good enough quality to build a reputation off of - in order to establish a small time seedstock operation.

ROB

ROB":6g562723 said:
thanks for the comments, keep-em comin. i pretty much agree with your opinions on the bull. he is a 4 yr old that had just come off a large group of cows when i got him. he is a neighbors bull that i am using- i had sold our angus heifer bull awhile back and hadn't found a replacement as of yet. this bull although visually unapealling does throw some nice looking calves - and the birthweights are in the low 70's. but i do agree that it looks like someone photoshopped the front and back ends together from two different bulls. He is long as a freight-train and weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 2200 lbs. anyone notice the fly's? i hadn't payed much attention until i looked at the picture and noticed all the flys on the bull. braunviehs don't seemed to be bothered by them. heel flys are sometimes a problem and the occasional horse fly- but that's about it. also, i appreciate the comments about the animals condition....i just don't take pictures of the ones im not so proud of. ;-) the plastic fence suprisingly does do a good job. it's slick so they don't rub on it. once in a while they will try to find the greener grass on the other side and get a rail off, but that rarely happens. i am planning on selling the heifer at a production sale this fall, her calf will qualify to register as a beef builder. im hoping that she will be of good enough quality to build a reputation off of - in order to establish a small time seedstock operation.

ROB

Rob
Having said what you did about building a reputation off that heifer, and I agree you should. Why would you not AI her to the best bull you can find and then use him to clean up if she doesn't catch.
BTW I think she is one of the best heifers I have seen on here in a while. Good job.

Can I ask why you arent breeding her to a Braunvieh if you are looking to develop a reputation as a seed stock producer?

I like all your animals, but I think this heifer is the best one you have posted yet. I just think its a bit of a shame to use her for crossbreeding.

Keren":22d9pd5l said:
Can I ask why you arent breeding her to a Braunvieh if you are looking to develop a reputation as a seed stock producer?

I like all your animals, but I think this heifer is the best one you have posted yet. I just think its a bit of a shame to use her for crossbreeding.

3waycross":22d9pd5l said:
Rob
Having said what you did about building a reputation off that heifer, and I agree you should. Why would you not AI her to the best bull you can find and then use him to clean up if she doesn't catch.
BTW I think she is one of the best heifers I have seen on here in a while. Good job.

these are good questions and i'll try to explain. the production sale i'm trying to get involved with is in north missouri. this area is know for predominantely black cattle, and i'm one of only a couple of breeders that run braunvieh. typically, at the braunvieh sales i've attended- there seems to be a lot of cattle trading going on between breeders with only a few new buyers present making purchases. marketing this heifer bred to a well known Angus bloodline will hopefully be an incentive for more bids. the heifer IMO is well representative of a quality female, and the 1/2 blood calf will qualify as a registered beef builder with the braunvieh breed. so in a nutshell, the heifer would be suitable for a fullblood or purebred breeder, the calf would fit in to a beefbuilder/purebred program, and the 878 bloodline will be familiar to Angus breeders attending the sale.

as far as the bull goes- he definately throws good calves with consistent birthweights. AI is an option, but not one that i prefer to use. If i were to have AI'd this heifer, i would have went back a few generations to a bull that i trust throws light BW calves. no buyer's incentive here with fullblood/purebred breeders trying to promote the new and improved low BW bull. i do have a few of the last remaining straws of semen on a bull BRG U400. He is the lowest proven BW bull of the braunvieh breed- but i have other plans for him.

ROB

Bigbull seldom EVER says anything negative about anybody's cattle. I would take the fact that he did so this time to heart. ;-)

The heifer is very nice.

Rob the fact that you AI her does not preclude using semen from an outstanding ANGUS bull if that is the direction you want to go.

Nice heifer rob. The bull needs a little help, but nice heifer!

3waycross":305hdn4d said:
Rob the fact that you AI her does not preclude using semen from an outstanding ANGUS bull if that is the direction you want to go.

the bull i'm using is one of those AI calves out of and "outstanding" Angus bull isn't he? this bull throws good calves which gives me more confidence in his ability than using AI from a bull whose calves i may have never seen.

All in all- it's a done deal. May have been a big mistake, but it wasn't my first and won't be my last.

ROB

Latest posts