thoughts on shorthorns

Help Support CattleToday:

Coyote":mx4d4kz3 said:
We just had a very successful Shorthorn bull sale last week. We had great demand from commercial breeders. The interesting thing was we had commercial guys coming up to us after the sale and telling us we needed more roan bulls in the offering. These guys were not small breeders, they want the roan so their calves are identified as Shorthorns.

Wow! What a difference a couple of thousand miles makes!

im glad i started this thread im learning alot,that i didnt already know.ive got to call again on the cattle,been tied up so it hasnt got done yet.

Cross breeder #1":1itf9e3m said:
if i used a solid red on my blk and bwf what might the calves look like

They just might look like Longhorns. It's pert near impossible to knock the chrome off a Shortie

yes it is hard to get rid of the chrome on a shortie, but if the red bull has 2 solid red parents you stand a much better chance of getting solid calves, now if one of them has much white, or is a roan then like 3 way said darn near impossable to get rid of it

Quit spreading that bs rhetoric 3way- its jus not true. There are many lines of shorthorn that are solid red and have been for generations. You might get a white udder or tail switch occasional but don't think all shorthorns throw color. Many shorthorns are available out there that will throw no different color-wise than red Angus when bred to crossbred cows.

Massey135":2s80rr9r said:
Quit spreading that bs rhetoric 3way- its jus not true. There are many lines of shorthorn that are solid red and have been for generations. You might get a white udder or tail switch occasional but don't think all shorthorns throw color. Many shorthorns are available out there that will throw no different color-wise than red Angus when bred to crossbred cows.
Well most shorthorns come from commerical herds often throws colors on the calves.

Massey135":zuw5y1h1 said:

You have proof from Igenity that what you are saying is true and you can absolutely guarantee to this man that he wont get any white on his calves. If so post it or shut up.

Not sure there is a test for what you claim. Otherwise it's just anecdotal and he is talking about breedin a red Shortie to baldies and reintroducing the white again.

as usual you are the one who is full of Bullshyt.

BTW when do you want to start talking about Birthweight if I am not mistaken werent you the one who said that SH EPD's weren't to be considered accurate.

Cross breeder #1":2h54g1z7 said:
masey and 3way your probobly both correct just depends on the breeding

I agree - the problem is he gmakes these generalizations that all shorthorns are colored up and its just not true- You can stabalize a color in the shorthorns just as they did with his black Gelbviehs - except with shorthorns many of the solid reds are still fullblood. When you line breed a trait over decades, they tend to be fixed.

A list of very reputable shorthorn breeders that offer solid red genetics:

http://www.waukaru.net/

http://www.lovingfarms.com/

http://www.meadowlanefarm.com/

http://www.lakesideshorthorns.com/bulls.html

Rob Sneed in Sedalia, Missouri

Some of my replacement heifers- I roan out of about 30hd.

Massey, who is the bull and what are his bloodlines? Personally I like color or roan, when they are hanging the beef is the best and color really doesn't make a difference, just marketing! : :nod:

Roan":3k8o3540 said:
Massey, who is the bull and what are his bloodlines? Personally I like color or roan, when they are hanging the beef is the best and color really doesn't make a difference, just marketing! : :nod:

I like the roan too. Dark red and dark roans. I don't care much for the red neck roans. Just personal preference.

The bull is JR Drover *4172127 . He is out of the "Dover" bull from the Sindelar Shorthorn herd in Billings MT http://yydurhamcattle.com/101vm.html . His dam is a JR Adelaide 23J who's a donor at JR Ranch in Othello, WA.

Black cows, black calves, and black steers sell the best. All else being equal. And no that bull would not work for me either.

highgrit":20pvv78l said:
Black cows, black calves, and black steers sell the best. All else being equal. And no that bull would not work for me either.

Why not?- if you have black cows (angus I presume) you should love a bull like this- You'll have solid black calves that are polled in addition to the added benefit of heterosis. Not to mention you'd get considerably better replacement females from the f1 shorthorn angus replacement than with the straightbred counter part.

I was trying to be nice, the bull has noassatall and plenty of hair. Might be the picture though. If you like him thats all that counts. I myself like Angus and Hereford , but mostly the black baldie calves.

Latest posts