thoughts on shorthorns

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
well ive been having this idea of adding 1 or 2 reg shorthorns to my herd.so i finally got around to checking into it.so then i called a breeder not far from me to see what he has for sale.going to call him sat evening an see what he says.an see if i can afford them.i bet he will price them to high.

You won't be disappointed bigbull....if you find the right "type" of shorthorns. As a shorthorn breeder I will admit there are blood lines out there that have no value to the commercial sector. On the other hand there is a diverse group of genetics that still provide the old durham strengths- easy fleshing, good milking, excellent momma cows. PM me if youd like any info regarding the bloodlines your looking at. I am fairly familiar with the strengths and weaknesses of many lines. Not nearly as familiar as coyote but I may be able to help you better in this area (TX). Do not buy a bull without talking to someone more familiar with the bloodlines. The EPDs in the shorthorn breed are NOT accurate- do not go by them alone. Actual numbers in the Shorthorn breed should be your only reference.

i really want to get them for fun.an to see what kind of calves they will throw from a beefmaster bull.ive already got reg beefmasters so i wont be buying a reg bull.as for what they might cost $2000 would be steep,as i can buy real good reg beemasters for less than that.but i do watch my money close as ill be using them commerical cattle.

you can't buy a real good anything for 2grand. Then again thats all relative to what one considers "real good."

the cattle that ive bought i got for alot less than that.an theyve all been quality cattle.but this drought partly breaking has exploded the cattle prices.here 2 or 3wks ago i couldve bought a top end herd bull for less than $2000 with bloodlines that i like.im real careful when it comes to buying cattle.

I think it is important when you are getting into any breed, is to ask breeders questions on what has and hasn't work for them and find out some history of the breed. Good luck in your purchases.

Be careful with shorthorns. I love them, but the fact that they're so popular as show cattle has led to a lot of bad breeding choices and fad chasing. It's harder to find the productive easy doing type, and there are lots of others with high energy needs, high bw's and big shoulders. The docility is nice until you get one that's dumb as a brick. I'm not bashing the breed, we have them. Sounds like you screen carefully so I'm just telling you what I'd watch for. You would sure have some pretty babies. Beefmaster calves are some of the very cutest!

You'd be better off putting that money towards buying a few more quality beefmasters. Numbers make breeding so much easier.

We sold an unregistered Angus bull at the sale barn this past Wednesday for just over $1,800. Paid $1,400 roughly 3 and half years ago. Came out to 94 cents a pound give or take.

My mother in law commented she'd never had that happen before on a bull.

im not going to jump into this deal to quickly.as im got to sell some cattle before i can buy anymore.an this rain makes it hard todo anything as youll bury a truck an trailer.but mind you im not complaining bout the rain.but the bulls need to go soon,as the sale i want to buy from is fast approching.as for the temperments i try to check their tempers pretty close.as i dont need or want tobe walking around wild an crazy cattle.the guys i like to buy reg beefmasters have pretty much doubled their prices.an im afraide the may sale will be pretty hot as far as prices go.

shorthorns are popular in the show ring for their thickness and the color. Its the color that can be a killer in the commercial sale ring...Those calves roll into that ring with the dusty color of heaven forbids some spotting , you are going to be discounted big time. The reason they will use is, that the animal has longhorn in it.. With the current lack of calves you might not get popped to bad at present, but when the buyers can be more selective you are gonna get creamed....I know its not fair or right, buts its just the way it is.

Had a friend that tried to raise Pinzgauer"s, some of the finest calves you would ever want to lay eyes on. Its a great breed that has been used as a dual purpose breed in the past. They marble and have a great yeild grade. Their problem...... their hide and color looks like a longhorn....You can imagine the pounding my friend took at the sale barn.

houstoncutter":3gwdr922 said:
shorthorns are popular in the show ring for their thickness and the color. Its the color that can be a killer in the commercial sale ring...Those calves roll into that ring with the dusty color of heaven forbids some spotting , you are going to be discounted big time. The reason they will use is, that the animal has longhorn in it.. With the current lack of calves you might not get popped to bad at present, but when the buyers can be more selective you are gonna get creamed....I know its not fair or right, buts its just the way it is.

Had a friend that tried to raise Pinzgauer"s, some of the finest calves you would ever want to lay eyes on. Its a great breed that has been used as a dual purpose breed in the past. They marble and have a great yeild grade. Their problem...... their hide and color looks like a longhorn....You can imagine the pounding my friend took at the sale barn.
im not worried about the pounding ill take at the sale barn as long as it isnt the owners/auctioneers doing it because they can ripp me by buying my calves cheap.an then making $300 a hd off of them.been there done that an the barn owners got chewed out for it.because now if i think im going to get hammered i go an watch the cattle sale myself.you should see this years painted up calves from the beefmaster cows an the plain jane stock cows.

bigbull338":36fthank said:
i really want to get them for fun.an to see what kind of calves they will throw from a beefmaster bull.

Save your money, or just send me a check:
I bought 6 aged SH cows and 1 heifer. I have one cow and the heifer left after 3 years. With a black bull I got black, gray, and paint calves. Gray and paint calves did not sell so well. :shock:

i never have been 1 to follow hide color an i never will.if i buy a black beefmaster bull he will have the bloodlines i want to add to my herd.i know what to check out before i buy the cows if everything works out.the shorthorns would just be something to play with.an ill do my best to make sure they dont have bad feet ankles an legs.i followed the market in the dairy by milking dang holsteins.an i hated them with a passion.

bigbull338":eyzjlp00 said:
well ive been having this idea of adding 1 or 2 reg shorthorns to my herd.so i finally got around to checking into it.so then i called a breeder not far from me to see what he has for sale.going to call him sat evening an see what he says.an see if i can afford them.i bet he will price them to high.

Price being what it is - quality sells.

Shorties are a fine addition to any herd - I have run some and have a couple out back now.

They never seem to let me down

Bez

We just had a very successful Shorthorn bull sale last week. We had great demand from commercial breeders. The interesting thing was we had commercial guys coming up to us after the sale and telling us we needed more roan bulls in the offering. These guys were not small breeders, they want the roan so their calves are identified as Shorthorns.

Latest posts