This Oughta Be Fun!!

Help Support CattleToday:

gallowaygirl

Reaction score
So, we raise purebred White Galloways primarily. However, I have a few crossbred and unregistered heifers that I am considering AI-ing to different breeds next year. Looking for input as to everyone's idea's as to what to cross them with. Two are Angus/Galloway crosses that will be around 2yrs at calving this June, the other is a purebred Galloway that will be 4 when we AI later this year.

My only restrictions are that I am hoping to stay away from Angus and Angus X cattle (SimAngus, Brangus, etc) not because of prejudice, just have had a consistent issue with "black" cattle, angus or not, and disposition. We have lots of color and like to keep it interesting!

Also, low birthweights would be preferred (under 75lbs) ;-) Also, heat-tolerant breeds probably will not work, although they are a possibility. The bull calves will be strictly terminal, and heifers may or may not be kept as commercial cows depending on quality!

Thanks in advance!

What about Shorthorn or Longhorn?

certainly enough color variations in those 2 to keep the calves interesting!! :D

I have been considering Shorthorns, but not really interested in the Longhorns, we have cattle without horns for a reason and don't really care to introduce them into the gene pool. Any specific sire recommendations?

my new neighbor has red angus and they are really nice.

his whole herd is dog gentle and I am impressed with them.

Nice sized and well made and have some substance to them as well.

My angus are all quiet.

Have had three customers come to me over the last few months and tell me how impressed they were with the dispositions on my cattle. but I worked at it and culled for it for 30 years.

Couldn't remember what a Galloway looked like so I went to breeds board and saw a picture my first thought was to breed to a buffalo, but they did say the most popular cross was shorthorn, by the looks of all that hair you ain't in Texas.

We are definitely not in Texas, the hair is very helpful where we are at, wet and windy NW Washington.

I don't know much about Red Polls, or the advantages/disadvantages. Can someone enlighten me?? Also, any specific bulls you would suggest that are low BW, good disposition, quick growth, and decent replacements?

Thanks all!! :tiphat:

My brother has a herd of Galloways that are mostly black. His best cross seems to be Angus although he had a Tarentaise bull for awhile and he produced some pretty good momma cows with that cross.

gallowaygirl":4w8cw61d said:
We are definitely not in Texas, the hair is very helpful where we are at, wet and windy NW Washington.

I don't know much about Red Polls, or the advantages/disadvantages. Can someone enlighten me?? Also, any specific bulls you would suggest that are low BW, good disposition, quick growth, and decent replacements?

Thanks all!! :tiphat:

Red Poll Advantages:

Very docile
naturally fertile and rebreed quickly after calving
Easy calving cows
Good mothers
Good milk producers - good udders
Moderate frame
Red Polls are renowned for tender beef
High Yielding Carcasses
Well-marbled beef
feed efficient

Disadvantages;
none

We have semen on two of our bulls that produce low bw calves with good dispositions that make great replacements.

You can check them out at: http://ninewestoakcanyon.com/

I've heard a lot of chatter on these boards about GV . . . wondering for my own benefit why they've not been suggested? Other than that, I like the shorthorn Idea.

angus9259":b9k1yrf7 said:
I've heard a lot of chatter on these boards about GV . . . wondering for my own benefit why they've not been suggested? Other than that, I like the shorthorn Idea.
Probably becuase Gelbvieh breeders aren;t blind and they won;t contribute to the pattern colors like lh or Shorthorn

angus9259":2s7kpzhv said:

Because I have been to busy to check the boards today. That and I really do hate sounding like a BREED PIMP all the time.

I think Gelbvieh would make an interesting cross. If your 4yr old is not a heifer i would suggest Ozz Ideal Direction and I am pretty sure he is certified for Canada.

My second suggestion would be the SH bull Muridale Buster as was stated earlier. He would work fine on the heifers, and give you LOTS of color

It sounds like you want to experiment with different color combinations in the sire and the dam. It would be interesting to see what a white Galloway would look like crossed to a Charolais since the white color is produced by different genes at different loci it would be interesting. I would use a very easy calving bull like Baldrige Fasttrack in this case.
The Gelbvieh is not a bad idea and you will likely get a red calf. The Tarentaise and Red Poll would also likely give you a red calf. For a technicolor calf an English Longhorn would be VERY interesting...

I did not think Galloways were white, Black yes. red , and yellow..and since they are small/med. frame I would be careful ,even if not heifers, as to what I would cross them with....NO cont. , something small calfs, Angus would be the the best choice( they are generally know for small calves)..

Not wanting to offend, Galloway are sort of a novice cattle or at least not common,Or main stream BEEF breed, I would suggest a LONGHORN, they will give you color, small calves...One of the few time I will every promote LH's

I do not see Shorthorns as a good mix, I mean Shorthorns have some big calves, that is not good on small frame cattle...even if the breeds board say that shorthorns are a good choice...

Jovid":2qvpharq said:
Red Poll Advantages:

Very docile
Easy calving cows
Good mothers
Moderate frame
High Yielding Carcasses
Well-marbled beef
feed efficient

Disadvantages;
none

And they can drive themselves to market!!!
Must be how they have become so popular and are such a force in the Industry. :banana: @

AudieWyoming":iuxblbxs said:
Jovid":iuxblbxs said:
Red Poll Advantages:

Very docile
Easy calving cows
Good mothers
Moderate frame
High Yielding Carcasses
Well-marbled beef
feed efficient

Disadvantages;
none

And they can drive themselves to market!!!
Must be how they have become so popular and are such a force in the Industry. :banana: @

I'm ready to switch. If only they came in black to match my outfit.

alftn":1cvdqycb said:
I did not think Galloways were white, Black yes. red , and yellow..and since they are small/med. frame I would be careful ,even if not heifers, as to what I would cross them with....NO cont. , something small calfs, Angus would be the the best choice( they are generally know for small calves)..

Not wanting to offend, Galloway are sort of a novice cattle or at least not common,Or main stream BEEF breed, I would suggest a LONGHORN, they will give you color, small calves...One of the few time I will every promote LH's

I do not see Shorthorns as a good mix, I mean Shorthorns have some big calves, that is not good on small frame cattle...even if the breeds board say that shorthorns are a good choice...

Apparently nearly as ignorant about cattle as about global warming and conservatives. and still unafraid to expose the ignorance.

alftn":3p91mybv said:

Not wanting to offend any of your knowledge, I, as a breeder of Galloways and knowing the long-term history of Galloways, would like to contradict you. While Galloways are no longer a main stream beef breed, they are ancestors (or cousins, originally, however you choose to view it) of the Aberdeen Angus, the ancestor of today's Angus cattle. They are moderate-framed, but by no means small. As a breed they have just maintained their frame size, never breeding (again, overall, as a breed) towards the huge frame-scores of many of today's beef breed.

They also are not "novice" cattle as you say. They are cattle no matter how you look at it, and have lots of advantages to offer today commercial producer as a whole, and these are characteristics that come to them naturally, such as hair (reduces back fat and therefore waste fat at the butcher's), excellent feed efficency, they are polled, great mothers, extremely fertile sires, and come in whatever color you could want to suit your particular market, be it black, red, dun, white, etc. They also have one of the purest genetic lines available as the herdbook has never allowed "up-breeding", therefore offering excellent hybrid vigor when crossed with any breed.

But thank you for taking the time to comment!

Latest posts