This Oughta Be Fun!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Ain't scard of much, and love the truth....

I bet galloways are fairly rare to most of us on this board, As as for calling them novice, HOW MANY BEEF PRODUCERS HAVE OVER 10 GALLOWAYS ?, or on this board use galloways as a beef herd foundation? Less take a poll.

Again how many people on this board use Long horns as foundation for a Beef herd? Not many I bet..

If I had told you to breed them Black Angus, then you could have got upset...HAHA

alftn":19b8gp5c said:
Ain't scard of much, and love the truth....

I bet galloways are fairly rare to most of us on this board, As as for calling them novice, HOW MANY BEEF PRODUCERS HAVE OVER 10 GALLOWAYS ?, or on this board use galloways as a beef herd foundation? Less take a poll.

Again how many people on this board use Long horns as foundation for a Beef herd? Not many I bet..

If I had told you to breed them Black Angus, then you could have got upset...HAHA

Because what ever is most popular is always the best... :roll:

What are the birth weights of your calves at the moment? Have you ever had calving problems due to calf size? I think people are really making big assumptions in their recommendations. Most herds here are moderate framed and plenty of them use euro sires. I might be hesitant on putting something like a charolais over them, but here the full blood Gelbvieh is still counted as a euro and calves can grow out fantastically. I think if one of the advantages to Galloways are their hybrid vigour, maybe you should go for something FB in order to maximise this...

Why not try a red Gv ,you should get a beautiful "gold" calf, they are a gorgeous color GV has many calving ease bulls in AI. There are many good Canadian bulls out there, Freedom Fog was a great calving ease bull and had great growthy calves. Westgen still had semen available on him last year so you could try semex.

My second choice would be a Maine bull.

Good luck with whatever you decide and post pics of the end result.. :)

If you want a wild color pattern I agree with those that suggested Longhorn or a roan Shorthorn. You might also look into Normande or Speckle Park.

"Color" or "No Color" - the factors which count in a Beef Cattle Protocol are Consistency, Feed Efficiency, Hybrid Vigor, Docility, (crossbreeding), Uniformity, Reduction of Overhead Costs, and PROFIT!

A "Colorful" herd doesn't bring you a dime's worth of satisfaction like a bulging bank account does. "Color", by itself, doesn't mean squat doodley! You can have more "fun" with MONEY than with CRAYONS!

I recommed Gelbvieh, Irish Blacks (or Irish Reds - same genetics), Red Poll, and Aubrac. Do a SEARCH on these breeds, and make up your own mind! They ALL have their Qualities and Merits.

Doc Harris

DOC HARRIS":ie0de5b2 said:
"Color" or "No Color" - the factors which count in a Beef Cattle Protocol are Consistency, Feed Efficiency, Hybrid Vigor, Docility, (crossbreeding), Uniformity, Reduction of Overhead Costs, and PROFIT!

A "Colorful" herd doesn't bring you a dime's worth of satisfaction like a bulging bank account does. "Color", by itself, doesn't mean squat doodley! You can have more "fun" with MONEY than with CRAYONS!

I recommed Gelbvieh, Irish Blacks (or Irish Reds - same genetics), Red Poll, and Aubrac. Do a SEARCH on these breeds, and make up your own mind! They ALL have their Qualities and Merits.

Doc Harris

Would you think Irish blacks/reds would be quite similar genetically to the Galloway though? Although Galloways are Scottish the breed is from the south of Scotland where historically a lot of Irish people migrated to. Just a thought. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If you want to breed for color do it. If you want to breed for hair or horns or purple with green spots, go ahead. They're your cattle and having something distinctive can be satisfying in itelf. Realize you aren;t going to make a lot of money on them but breed what you like!

Yes aussie girl, something ( Black Angus, ie) that has been The mainstay of the Beef world, I would say is THE BEST. I raise Black Angus ; because in my area that is the high seller....I would hate to speak as to what works best DOWN UNDER, I do not know what your market will buy.. I also know that 30 years ago the only BLACK cows were angus....NO limm , no simms, the list goes own...

I also know I would raise Shorthorns, I love em , but here shorthorns,Brimmer , LH's would be a loss of money..along with Belted galloways and many other non mainstream breeds..

Now I admit I am a NOVICE cattleman, my living is not made by my cattle, but that is as far as it goes...

I sure am wondering were the Gelbvieh breed is going, it is turing black also, but it seem to mix well with angus.. Frist herefords were the great improver, then Black angus took over, is GV next?

alftn":c485dewc said:
Yes aussie girl, something ( Black Angus, ie) that has been The mainstay of the Beef world, I would say is THE BEST. I raise Black Angus ; because in my area that is the high seller....I would hate to speak as to what works best DOWN UNDER, I do not know what your market will buy.. I also know that 30 years ago the only BLACK cows were angus....NO limm , no simms, the list goes own...

I also know I would raise Shorthorns, I love em , but here shorthorns,Brimmer , LH's would be a loss of money..along with Belted galloways and many other non mainstream breeds..

Now I admit I am a NOVICE cattleman, my living is not made by my cattle, but that is as far as it goes...

I sure am wondering were the Gelbvieh breed is going, it is turing black also, but it seem to mix well with angus.. Frist herefords were the great improver, then Black angus took over, is GV next?

I suppose it depends on your definition of best doesn't it. :nod: If I believed there was a best breed I would have made my mind up about what to actually breed.

Edit: Anyway alftn, there's a market for anything if you're willing to use a little initiative. Take for example Highland cattle. I know a breeder who does quite well off them. He sells meat off the farm (Highland is good meat too actually. Often sold as gourmet in the UK), the pelts earn him anywhere up from US$580 per pelt, not sure what the mounted horns get, then obviously semen sales from his bulls, actual cattle to other highland breeders. Might not be as easy to get rid of than the Angus but with a bit of effort he makes a good income from them. And he gets to breed the breed he likes.

aussie_cowgirl":206jw1x6 said:
DOC HARRIS":206jw1x6 said:

Doc Harris

Would you think Irish blacks/reds would be quite similar genetically to the Galloway though? Although Galloways are Scottish the breed is from the south of Scotland where historically a lot of Irish people migrated to. Just a thought. Correct me if I'm wrong.
aussie_cowgirl-

No, you are incorrect. Google or Dogpile these links:

http://www.irishblacks.com

Also: http://www.aubracusa.com

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":2pryojn5 said:
aussie_cowgirl":2pryojn5 said:
DOC HARRIS":2pryojn5 said:

Doc Harris

aussie_cowgirl-

No, you are incorrect. Goodle or Dogpatch this link:

http://www.irishblacks.com

Also: http://www.aubracusa.com

DOC HARRIS

Fair enough. We haven't got either of those over here actually. Thanks for the links.

aussie_cowgirl-

Inasmuch as it is after midnight, I must have been half asleep when I gave you the links in the post above. I meant to write "Google or Dogpile" - not Goodle or Dogpatch. I am going to bed now and probably dream about L'il Abner!

DOC HARRIS

We have a red poll x galloway calf...... however, our galloway bull was black and threw black calves. This bull calf is black and out of one of my nicest red poll cows...... and the hubby keeps trying to tell me he's out of his angus bull (he's not as I keep the cow records and dates where the bulls are at :nod: ).............. he's not colorful as you want but he's a nice calf. We should be weaning him sometime this month as he's 7 months old.

Since your cows are colored, you'd possibly have a red roan type but I'm just guessing here, it could be yellow out of a red poll bull.

We have a heifer 1/2 holstein 1/2 galloway who calved last month bred to an angus bull. Its a really nice calf. We have a 1/2 char x, 1/2 galloway who was bred to a red poll and she had a gold colored heifer a week ago.

I ain't in The U.K., or down under, or north of the Ohio, or in the Hot than He!! south..If I was I would adjust my cattle to fit..

Here Black Angus is the cows to have, Black baldies are also good , but it goes down hill from there...

Here to you Aussi Girl , I hope to met you one of these days to see your cows , your enviorment , the market there, would be fun...

It's awesome to see all these replies and peoples opinions!! Just a reminder, I did state that we aren't just breeding for color, that we also would possibly be retaining the heifers as commercial replacements, so quality is always at the forefront. All the breed options are very exciting to consider, each with it's own advantages/disadvantages...lots of information to take into account when considering. The Irish Blacks/Reds sound interesting DOC, and I actually am in touch with a breeder in Alberta. Gelbviehs also are on the list, although they may carry a little more frame than we are looking for, will require more research on my part.

Anyone have any thoughts on using Limousin?

GG if you use a red Gv and stay away from the blks you will be fine on frame, that is why I mentioned freedom fog. In the last 10 years the Gv breeders have really been breeding for a smaller, more moderate framed animal.

Can you post some pics of your girls ,I sure would like to see what they look like.. :)

Belted Galloway's are really popular around here, and the neighbor runs a herf and a maine bull on his girls.

gallowaygirl":2mdywt9f said:
Anyone have any thoughts on using Limousin?

The limo cows tend to add frame to my Angus calves, might be ok if you find a low bw bull with a lot of accuracy in his epd. They may also have a tendency to be more "spirited" then some of your other options. I think you can even get them in black now! :banana: :lol:

hillsdown":324qyajx said:
Can you post some pics of your girls ,I sure would like to see what they look like.. :)

Belted Galloway's are really popular around here, and the neighbor runs a herf and a maine bull on his girls.

While our girls aren't Beltie crosses, they are White crosses. The pictures are of two Galloway/Angus X girls, calving for the first time this May-July.
"Molly"
P1020346.jpg

P1020362.jpg

"Blackie"
DSCN1306.jpg

DSCN1307.jpg

And I have no pictures of the 4 year old on photobucket, she is just a longer, more proportionate cow. A tad thicker than these two but a little harder of a keeper. She is on the "to go" list if she doesn't raise a calf this year, calved in September by herself, but wouldn't raise him (1st calf) Only gets one more chance...Let me know your thoughts!

Latest posts