This morning

Help Support CattleToday:

Bet they fish without bait as well.
Well that's "kind of" true...

I don't use corn, rubber worms, cheese, or Power Bait. No problem if people do... I just prefer to tie my own flies and fish streams with native fish. I've also built fish traps from natural materials. That's kind of fun for a change.

As said all along, we draw our own lines.

Once again it is a big old world with lots of differences. I have never hunted deer over bait because it isn't legal where I have lived. I have never sat in a tree stand because it is just not me. I have sat on a few stumps, rocks, etc but rarely for more than 30 minutes and I am up and moving. But I have shot mule deer, Columbia blacktail deer, Sitka blacktail deer, and whitetail deer. I am a Couse deer short of a deer grand slam. So the methods I use do work for where I have hunted. And I have hunted coastal rain forest to wide open sage brush on the high desert. Sea level to 6,000 feet above sea level.

No hunting leases to speak of here. Around 50% of the state is public land.

I do remember years ago a place that had a big herd of buffalo. They had to bangs test the herd. Same time they adverticed buffalo hunts. Someone would pay big bucks to hunt buffalo. A ranch hand would haul them here and there searching for a big bull. After a while would go look in a draw and low and behold there would stand a big bull. The "hunter" would shoot it. Before the next hunter arrived they would sort off a bull out of the bangs positive herd and take it up into the hills where it was watched until it was time for a successful hunt to end.

That reminds me of a story I heard when I was just a boy; probably close to 50 years ago. There was a ranch advertising day hunts for whitetail for $200.00, and they said if you didn't get a deer you could shoot any calf on the place so you'd have some meat. When people got there they found out that there wasn't a deer on the whole place, but they had a lot of $150.00 calves.

I don't shoot a lot of whitetail. I have some nice ones but they all have stories that matter to me so that is why they are on my wall.

I've probably put people 10X plus more animals than I have shot. I enjoy that more than shooting myself, usually. I like to play with rattling, spotting in the rut, pics, videos, etc.

One of my favorite things is when I know we have a target buck coming to a feeder. Basically I know he is comelung from the cameras but I can not see him in person. It becomes a cat and mouse game with me. There are bucks I have hunted for years, that were coming to feeders, but I never actually see in person, or they would definitelynot stand for shot. It's like trouble shooting a problem. I'll start changing up the whole hunting plan because just like there are some dumb deer that can be patterned at a feeder... smart deer can pattern dumb hunters at a feeder.

These deer may not even be the biggest but are the most elusive by far. Then, if/when I finally figure out how to get on them... I have to figure out how to get some one else on them for a shot.

Same can be said for hogs... can you shoot thousands of hogs. Absolutely, they are easy. Not all higs are easy though. Go try to get these big people smarts boars. They can get very smart to the game.

Same goes for fishing or any thing else. Any one can go catch fish. Do you know why you caught those fish? Can you repeat it regularly?
I hunt on a feeder. Both with a bow and with a rifle. We eat ever deer we kill. I hunt hogs year round. We save blackstrap on most, but not the big ones. Hogs tear up and kill more crops than all other causes combined. If I keep them in the ditch the buzzards leave my calves alone

There was a guy in Northwest Colorado that had a private elk herd. He would have private hunts, charge the guys out the butt for the hunt, and they would shoot the elk in the coral, not much more than 50 yards away. He would then praise them for being such a great shot. There was no way they could miss.

Back in the 80's I had a friend who I worked with cutting timber. He guided for and then bought out the outfitter taking hunters out in River of No Return Wilderness area in central Idaho. Horse back, pack trains the whole nine yards. He had some great pictures of huge elk and mule deer he shot for the clients. They spent a ton of money to hunt there and then sat in camp drinking and playing cards. They went home with the "trophy" that he shot for them. He said a lot of them had never been off pavement in their life.

Latest posts