This morning

Help Support CattleToday:

We have more deer because we manage them and have for decades.
More money in deer than cattle.
I understand there's a lot of people managing deer and doing well with it, I also know there's a lot of people that want to come hunt wherever the deer are and they are harder to manage than the deer or cattle. And with as much as I have to travel in business I'd rather deal with the cows than people when I come home

Mr. TC had 5 full mounts before I put the kibosh on any more bigazz antler wall art. So now he'd reduced to Euro mounts and "floor art". Just a few:

Attachments

• IMG_20221025_051819654_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221025_051819654_HDR.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20221025_051941301.jpg
    IMG_20221025_051941301.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20221025_160840960.jpg
    IMG_20221025_160840960.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
Lease prices run 10 to 50+ dollars an acre depending on the deer. Based on 100 acres per hunter.
Day hunts are crazy priced.

At $50 an acre I'd make more on the cattle. Day hunts are probably another story. We have kicked around leasing some for deer hunting but hunters are such a pain in the......

At $50 an acre I'd make more on the cattle. Day hunts are probably another story. We have kicked around leasing some for deer hunting but hunters are such a pain in the......
Yea but that money is for three months.
You're 100% correct about the pain.
Day hunts with select clients would be the way to go with a management service IMO.

I lease my place to a outfitter. They handle the clientele and all the insurance. They very seldom deer hunt as it is not that great here anyway. Big bodies, little horns. Occasionally they will hunt hogs. Ducks is where the money is at. A much classier and wealthy bunch. They show up very early in the morning and are done and gone by 10AM. I have only had one bad bunch for the six years I have used the outfitter and they assured me they would not be a customer any longer.

It pays about $15 a acre. I am not getting rich but its some extra cash for fertilizer or seed.

I reserve my home place for me and my kids and grandkids. I lease out my other owned property. I've had the same hunters for 10 + years. I should raise the rate but I never have had a single problem with these guys. I see them once a year when they pay and they always pay the 5 digit bill in cash.
My grandfather always said to lease to groups that aren't local. If you lease to locals they'll be running the pastures every weekend. I found that to be good advice.

Man this would be ideal for our Oklahoma ranch, we run steers mid March through end of September. I have game cameras out and there are some dandies. Does anyone know if there is a website for listing hunting properties for lease? If I could cover my fertilizer and spraying cost that would be great.

If I had lease property with hunting rights I would definitely lease to hunters but as fence says it would have to be out of towners. We live on our place so leasing wouldn't be good. Duck hunters are another story. We have a few really good duck pools that I let a few friends and nieghbors hunt. They get such a kick out of it that the extra money would have to be pretty good.

Man this would be ideal for our Oklahoma ranch, we run steers mid March through end of September. I have game cameras out and there are some dandies. Does anyone know if there is a website for listing hunting properties for lease? If I could cover my fertilizer and spraying cost that would be great.
What part of Oklahoma you in?

we have a lot of deer on our place but in reality I'd rather have a good piece of beef for dinner

It's a mixed bag. I've been given some deer meat and when I was 'in the mood for it' I really enjoyed it. Certainly not something I would want every week but nothing wrong with venison and I do like venison/pork link sausage.
(can't say the same for some bear meat someone gave my father when I was a teenager)

I'd be more worried about the opposite; the hunters bothering the cows. Unfortunately not all hunters make sure of their target and stay aware of what's in the background before pulling the trigger.
I don't want those kind on my land regardless. Someone shoots something, anything they shouldn't they're going to have a bigger problem than a dead cow

I have hunted all my life. Shot my first deer 59 years ago. I can't imagine paying the kind of money people talk about on here to have a place to hunt. I know as a kid my buddy's Dad paid to be a member of a duck hunting club. I got to go with them a couple of times. But once my buddy and I got old enough to drive we found better duck hunting on public land. Having to pay for hunting rights sure turns hunting into a rich man's sport.

Latest posts