This morning

Help Support CattleToday:

People that buy up good agricultural ground and then take it as a tax write off because they aren't farming it? But they bait deer and stock feral hogs and invite their urban buddies and put up buildings that no agriculturalist can afford when they want to get rid of their property.
No these are big leases. It might be 15K acres with a multimillion dollar houses, barns, etc just for the hunting.

If you have have the right kind of country you can generate some pretty good revenue off hunting alone.

They estimate a quail hunter will spend $80/ ac hunting quail. That's a couple months out if the year, generally they try to take 3 birds per covey, and will fo a survey for total birds to take off annually.

There is a big difference between people who pay to day hunt high fences and these guys.

I don't see anything wrong with high fenced day hunts, caged bird hunts, or hunting over feeders. Some people don't have the time it takes to dedicate to hunting a lease or tracking deer. We used to go on a caged quail, chukar, and pheasant hunt every year and had a great time. Guys sure get riled up over this stuff though. At the end of the day if you got to spend some time outside and had a fun who really cares.

I care I guess. Its a matter of pride. I went on a quail hunt with pen raised birds. The guides insisted on everyone getting a "limit". It was fun watching some good dogs work but I will never ever do one again. I don't need a twenty five yard shot on a slow moving bird.
Its kind like striper fishing with a guide on lake Texoma. It ain't fishing, its feeding. Same thing, make sure everyone gets a limit know matter the size and lets get back to the dock before lunch. . Never again.

I care I guess. Its a matter of pride. I went on a quail hunt with pen raised birds. The guides insisted on everyone getting a "limit". It was fun watching some good dogs work but I will never ever do one again. I don't need a twenty five yard shot on a slow moving bird.
Its kind like striper fishing with a guide on lake Texoma. It ain't fishing, its feeding. Same thing, make sure everyone gets a limit know matter the size and lets get back to the dock before lunch. . Never again.
Gotta say... I agree. It's one thing to shoot something easily to fill the freezer, but it's something else to call it hunting when something is limited in some way in order to make it an easy target. No problem with people eating what they kill, but calling it hunting is a stretch in some cases. And hunting is a valued activity... if really hunting. All kinds of great learning involved in legitimate hunt. Maybe the lines are blurred, and sometimes fine, and in different places for different people, but for me, personally, the lines are pretty clear. I'd shoot a baited deer for the meat... but I wouldn't call it hunting.

I started to add the guided fishing trips also. I've been on 1 guided striper trip to Texoma. I was invited so I went and it turned out like I expected. We did have fun but the trip to Billy Sims BBQ afterwards is what we remember about that trip. I also went on a guided Red Snapper trip in Galveston several years back. It was a really good trip and I'd definitely do that again.

For me those trips are a quick easy get away from the daily grind we go through. As long as it's a good group of guys and no drama it's generally a good time.

You can't make generalizations about this stuff. I've seen pen raised birds that were so lazy you had to walk up and kick them. It was not very "sporting" by most people standards but then again that was not that groups main priority. I've also seen pen raised birds that were not far off from wild birds. How they are raised can effect how they fly.

Same with high fences. There are some places that the deer are like pets and you pretty much just pick them out like furniture. Don't be mistaken, there are high fence places where bucks die of old age because they are so elusive. Again it goes back to how those deer are being raised.

People always want to justify their way as the right way. I hear the same nonsense from croaker vs lures, bows vs rifles, inshore vs offshore, so on and so on. In reality if more people would spend more time doing both they would realize there is not as much difference as they think.

Bragging about killing a monster pet out of a high fence to me is just as bad as bragging about killing deer with a bow, not over bait. No matter how you are doing it... if you are doing it to impress others you are doing it for the wrong reason.

You can't make generalizations about this stuff. I've seen pen raised birds that were so lazy you had to walk up and kick them. It was not very "sporting" by most people standards but then again that was not that groups main priority. I've also seen pen raised birds that were not far off from wild birds. How they are raised can effect how they fly.

Same with high fences. There are some places that the deer are like pets and you pretty much just pick them out like furniture. Don't be mistaken, there are high fence places where bucks die of old age because they are so elusive. Again it goes back to how those deer are being raised.

People always want to justify their way as the right way. I hear the same nonsense from croaker vs lures, bows vs rifles, inshore vs offshore, so on and so on. In reality if more people would spend more time doing both they would realize there is not as much difference as they think.

Bragging about killing a monster pet out of a high fence to me is just as bad as bragging about killing deer with a bow, not over bait. No matter how you are doing it... if you are doing it to impress others you are doing it for the wrong reason.
I'm... not talking about bragging rights. I just have a line drawn between "hunting" and killing something that is chained to the ground or any other kind of limitations.

And yes... everyone has their lines drawn differently.

No hunting leases to speak of here. Around 50% of the state is public land.

I do remember years ago a place that had a big herd of buffalo. They had to bangs test the herd. Same time they adverticed buffalo hunts. Someone would pay big bucks to hunt buffalo. A ranch hand would haul them here and there searching for a big bull. After a while would go look in a draw and low and behold there would stand a big bull. The "hunter" would shoot it. Before the next hunter arrived they would sort off a bull out of the bangs positive herd and take it up into the hills where it was watched until it was time for a successful hunt to end.

I'm... not talking about bragging rights. I just have a line drawn between "hunting" and killing something that is chained to the ground or any other kind of limitations.

And yes... everyone has their lines drawn differently.
I wasn't talking to you specifically. The last paragraph was my personal thoughts.

When we lived in TX, one of our neighbors took his dad & son on a "hunt" at the King Ranch. The guides essentially drove them to the woods and pointed out which "monster buck" they could shoot - for a ridiculous amount of money. But he was a cardiac surgeon, that was big time for him and evidently money well spent because he had bragging rights for months:rolleyes:.

When we lived in TX, one of our neighbors took his dad & son on a "hunt" at the King Ranch. The guides essentially drove them to the woods and pointed out which "monster buck" they could shoot - for a ridiculous amount of money. But he was a cardiac surgeon, that was big time for him and evidently money well spent because he had bragging rights for months:rolleyes:.
That's a good example. There are "hunts" on the KR and there is hunting the KR. That guy paid to go on a "hunt" that was kid and dad friendly. They had deer that had been fed by a road feeder or what ever and they picked out deer that made them happy. That is the experience they wanted.

There are 200" plus, free range whitetail, on the KR that you will hunt your butt off to get, if you ever get one.

I can take you out there and we can walk miles, in waste high grass, checking lagunas for nilgia with your bow and we can kill as many 6'+ rattlesnakes as your heart desires. We will see nilgia but getting a shot with a bow is a low kill percentage hunt. Not a lot of people pay money for that experience on the day hunt market.

Not all animals take to the feed. If you choose to shoot the first buck that walked out to the feeder that was your choice. It's not a representation of hunting as a whole. There are probably deer on that property that are not walking in front of that blind or coming to that feeder. Which one you hunt is up to you. There are also deer that will feed every single time you are not there. LoL

Last edited:
As said... if I did I wouldn't call it hunting. But no, I've never baited deer. I have no problem with the practice as long as the meat is going to feed people... but I can't see it as hunting.
I just wanted to be sure I understood correctly. I'm always fascinated how sure of things people are like this when they have never actually experienced it. Kind of makes me wonder how they came to that conclusion.

As said... if I did I wouldn't call it hunting. But no, I've never baited deer. I have no problem with the practice as long as the meat is going to feed people... but I can't see it as hunting.
This year I plan to chase them around with a pointed stick until I manage to either harass one to death or run it off a cliff. Real huntin...

I just wanted to be sure I understood correctly. I'm always fascinated how sure of things people are like this when they have never actually experienced it. Kind of makes me wonder how they came to that conclusion.
I don't shoot deer from a vehicle either. Or kill stuff to let it lay and rot. As said more than once... we all have our lines to cross, or not. And I said I'd shoot a deer that was baited... if I was invited and the meat was going to feed people. But I, personally, don't define it as "hunting". If you do... then good for you. Your lines are different than mine and I'm fine with that. There are lines where we might have problems... but this is not one for me.

I don't shoot deer from a vehicle either. Or kill stuff to let it lay and rot. As said more than once... we all have our lines to cross, or not. And I said I'd shoot a deer that was baited... if I was invited and the meat was going to feed people. But I, personally, don't define it as "hunting". If you do... then good for you. Your lines are different than mine and I'm fine with that. There are lines where we might have problems... but this is not one for me.
Not trying to change your mind.

I don't shoot a lot of whitetail. I have some nice ones but they all have stories that matter to me so that is why they are on my wall.

I've probably put people 10X plus more animals than I have shot. I enjoy that more than shooting myself, usually. I like to play with rattling, spotting in the rut, pics, videos, etc.

One of my favorite things is when I know we have a target buck coming to a feeder. Basically I know he is comelung from the cameras but I can not see him in person. It becomes a cat and mouse game with me. There are bucks I have hunted for years, that were coming to feeders, but I never actually see in person, or they would definitelynot stand for shot. It's like trouble shooting a problem. I'll start changing up the whole hunting plan because just like there are some dumb deer that can be patterned at a feeder... smart deer can pattern dumb hunters at a feeder.

These deer may not even be the biggest but are the most elusive by far. Then, if/when I finally figure out how to get on them... I have to figure out how to get some one else on them for a shot.

Same can be said for hogs... can you shoot thousands of hogs. Absolutely, they are easy. Not all higs are easy though. Go try to get these big people smarts boars. They can get very smart to the game.

Same goes for fishing or any thing else. Any one can go catch fish. Do you know why you caught those fish? Can you repeat it regularly?

Latest posts