This morning

Help Support CattleToday:

Serious business I hope everyone has fun and good hunting this year. It's a much needed break for most. Not to mention some of the best sleep you'll ever get is in a deer stand.

Aye and did we meet at Agincourt? Bairns we were and in a sea of bones!
0D812316-A72B-45D4-98B3-9D9BAAC68655.jpeg
I hunted with homemade self bows I made for years.
Have a couple custom made Leach bows that I was given as payment for teaching traditional archery.
I preferred to shoot Mediterranean or Mongol style over Apache.
Right shoulder cratered on me and ended my traditional hunting.

Serious business I hope everyone has fun and good hunting this year. It's a much needed break for most. Not to mention some of the best sleep you'll ever get is in a deer stand.
I love the bow hunt and calling one in. Closest I ever shot one was 7 steps.
This boy was 18 steps and the 3 doe under my stand.1DFCE6DD-3065-4B2D-8FA0-3CC53A695DBB.jpeg

@Caustic Burno have you ever made a bow out of bodark? Last year, a friend asked me for a piece of bodark to make a bow, so I cut a tree and split it. Half went to a corner brace, the other half to him. It's a rather stringy wood.

Attachments

• Bodark.jpg
    Bodark.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 12
@Caustic Burno have you ever made a bow out of bodark? Last year, a friend asked me for a piece of bodark to make a bow, so I cut a tree and split it. Half went to a corner brace, the other half to him. It's a rather stringy wood.
The last two hanging on the rack were made from Bois D'Arc. That's actually a French colonization term given the wood being it was what the Indian preferred. Only thing better than bois d'arc is yew IMO.
I made quite a few from it hickory and iron wood.
The rattlesnake skin backed one is hickory.
It was a long process making a bow from stave to hunting.

I agree never been a bait pile hunter or a road runner ( they are bad about that here). Beef is as good or better eating and couldn't bring myself to brag on the monster that had his head stuck in the honey jar like Whinnie the Pooh.
Man shall have dominion over animals...we're meat eaters and we run hungry every 12 hours. Nothing wrong with an "edge" feeding family and disadvantaged neighbors.

Nothing ruins a hunting trip faster than actually shooting something -- then all the work starts -- usually involved quarters and a backpack where I used to hunt.

That's why I belong to a beer lease, not a deer lease. I've been a member there for over 20 years, and haven't bought a license or taken a gun with me for probably the last 15. I'm just there for the entertainment.

And before anyone says I'm crazy to drive that far and spend a bunch of money and not hunt, it's less than 30 minutes from my house and costs me $100.00 per year.

Nothing ruins a hunting trip faster than actually shooting something -- then all the work starts -- usually involved quarters and a backpack where I used to hunt.
Years of experience have taught me to always hunt up hill from a road. It is a lot easier to drag one down a steep hill than it is to drag one up a steep hill. If you are going to hunt some deep dark canyon, make it one with a road in the bottom. In the case of elk it is best to kill them in a location where some motorized mechanical thing can be used to retrieve the critter. I have crawled up some mighty steep hills with a quarter of an elk strapped to my back. Getting too old for that type of action. Recently I have decided that young strong hunting partners are the best hunting partners.

Years of experience have taught me to always hunt up hill from a road. It is a lot easier to drag one down a steep hill than it is to drag one up a steep hill. If you are going to hunt some deep dark canyon, make it one with a road in the bottom. In the case of elk it is best to kill them in a location where some motorized mechanical thing can be used to retrieve the critter. I have crawled up some mighty steep hills with a quarter of an elk strapped to my back. Getting too old for that type of action. Recently I have decided that young strong hunting partners are the best hunting partners.
The last time I shot an elk was 2018. I had daughter and son-in-law with me. We had a 3/4 mile backpack trip to get it out, but all I had to carry was my rifle, pack and the backstraps. Son-in-law (at the time, not any more) packed a front and hind quarter in one trip and came back to get a hind and the head while daughter packed the front. That was more my kind of hunting. Everybody lives a long way away now and I decided I don't need to be hunting the fringe of grizzly country by myself anymore, not to mention fall is really busy now. I'm the only one who eats the dang things anyway, but I did enjoy the annual excursions for 20 years.

Okay, veering off track a little. Mr TC's cousin went on a moose hunt in Canada probably 15 years ago and videoed the entire hunt, including when his bull went down in the creek, dragging it out, the whole 9 yards. Watching that video was the worst 3 hours of my life. But well done, because it was a nice bull. I'll be damned if the taxidermist shop didn't catch on fire and burn up his mount-in-progress. Not that I'm vindictive, but I did have to chuckle. And it's not like he can't relive his epic trophy hunt by watching the video any time he wants.

I haven't hunted since '71 but could have killed a lot off my back porch from 2008-early 2022.
(I don't count beaver extermination as 'hunting')
there are 2 behind the backhoe

deer22.jpg

Beaver are finally moving back into our stretch of creek. We had no willows and the creek channel was all scoured out from flooding in 2002 and 2016. Willows started coming back and now beaver have been building dams. They are raising the water table and helping out the meadows a bunch. The riparian system is starting to function more as it should. They have gone overboard on the neighbors flooding out their hay field, but so far here they are doing good work.

Beaver are finally moving back into our stretch of creek. We had no willows and the creek channel was all scoured out from flooding in 2002 and 2016. Willows started coming back and now beaver have been building dams. They are raising the water table and helping out the meadows a bunch. The riparian system is starting to function more as it should. They have gone overboard on the neighbors flooding out their hay field, but so far here they are doing good work.
I wish I'd had some beavers on my place in South Dakota. But we had no trees for them to use.

That's why I belong to a beer lease, not a deer lease. I've been a member there for over 20 years, and haven't bought a license or taken a gun with me for probably the last 15. I'm just there for the entertainment.

And before anyone says I'm crazy to drive that far and spend a bunch of money and not hunt, it's less than 30 minutes from my house and costs me $100.00 per year.
Guy comes home from a hunting trip.
Wife says how was your trip
Hes says.. pretty good but you didn't pack me any socks.
She says....I put them in your gun case..

Latest posts