This morning

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't want those kind on my land regardless. Someone shoots something, anything they shouldn't they're going to have a bigger problem than a dead cow

I can't argue with that, but if you're leasing out land you can't be sure the hunters know what they're doing.

I can't argue with that, but if you're leasing out land you can't be sure the hunters know what they're doing.
Agreed, but if they are hacks the dead cow is likely the most desirable way to find out. There's certainly worse ways to find out.
I've had a calf shot before and it was resolved and forgave. I posted on here about it years ago. I'd go into it but I'm baling hay today. Gotta go rip some people off you know 😉🤣

I'd be more worried about the opposite; the hunters bothering the cows. Unfortunately not all hunters make sure of their target and stay aware of what's in the background before pulling the trigger.
Amen and Amen again on that! My rule anymore is [ If you own or farm the land bordering mine you can hunt but let me know if and when.
This does not include your relatives or grown kids and their buddies. I expect to be treated the same way by the neighbors and am.
If you do not fit the criteria don't ask or be caught on the place. Truth is, in as much as most of the ground around me is owned or
farmed by relatives we have very little pressure from outside hunters. Trespassing is a $100. fine which the county is more than willing
to apply. Also if you allow people in for any reason it implies responsibility on your part and insurance becomes an issue.
How someone else handles the subject is up to them.

I have hunted all my life. Shot my first deer 59 years ago. I can't imagine paying the kind of money people talk about on here to have a place to hunt. I know as a kid my buddy's Dad paid to be a member of a duck hunting club. I got to go with them a couple of times. But once my buddy and I got old enough to drive we found better duck hunting on public land. Having to pay for hunting rights sure turns hunting into a rich man's sport.
Good duck or deer lease is the sport of kings.
You get down to the Webb county area 5K a year and up isn't uncommon for a deer lease.

Don't forget quail hunting. I know a guy who was getting $800.00 per day for guiding near Hebbronville about 15 years ago.
$1300 per day hunt, just land, dog guide will run $1500 on top of that, outriders are couple hundred more

$14/ac season long lease

Quail is the way to go. Less drama than deer hunters. Quail hunters will lease land and may show up twice at most per season and some times not at all. No camps or blinds or junk left behind. They are in and out.

Having been raised in the city, I can understand someone wanting to rent/lease/contract to hunt someplace.
I was never even shown a gun until I got married. Ken was an avid bird hunter - quail, duck, morning dove, pheasant, etc. He taught me how to shoot a 22 rifle, so I could shoot coyotes on our farm in Kansas. Back then, we had no deer on our farm (Louisburg, Ks - South of KC) When we moved here to NY, there are tons of deer. I decided to go with him hunting to watch. I got up in a tree. Wouldn't you know a beautiful buck came right up to my tree, stood on his hind legs picking apples. I got excited. I went to the local town clerks' office with my "fishing license" from Kansas. The gal didn't know how to read the license to see that it was JUST a fishing license, and she gave me a hunting license! Never went to class - nothing!!
I have been hunting ever since. Have gotten at least 1 deer most every year since.
I can understand people paying to go on a hunt. My nephew & I paid to go to a fenced in boar hunt in Texas. It was Covid 2020 and Texas didn't make you wear a mask. So, we booked a hunt. Yes, it was fenced in. Yes they had feeders. But, it was something we never would be able to do. It was a blast. Got a young boar and got a big 325# one. Had the meat shipped back up here and enjoyed the meat & sausage.

You can profit more than $50/ ac on cattle?
Yes. We run a cow to 4 acres here. $200 a head isn't a stretch by any means. This year was closer to $75 an acre and it was an off year. If a cow can profit $75 an acre it will only take her 46 yrs to pay for land. Lol

I figured, been several years since I hunted that part of the world.
It's pretty crazy. There are deals but hard to come by. If it's 150" deer plus with a camp... it will go $8, 9 10k... if it's 170" type deer it will go $10-15K. Depending on the lease and price it will run a person per 250-500ac.

I was talking to a broker down there about that. I asked who leases these places for $7K per spot? He said he has a several properties with firefighters out of SA, people like that. He said that is his bread and butter. They tend to be decent leasees and will pay to shoot big deer. Lots of referrals with in the community to talk to him for leases.

Latest posts