Think someone shot our steer, has a hole in shoulder he’s dead.

Help Support CattleToday:

that sucks whatever the cause

I was thinking about things that could have cause anything remotely close to that damage.. Only thing that comes to my mind would be broadpoints on a bow, it wouldn't make that big an X, but maybe with a starting point it could stretch that way?
Evidently the arrow would have been removed
The x could have been the stretching from the enormous swelling he'd already undergone, I think he'd been dead 1 day before I found him. Or a coyote came along at night maybe trying to eat him and maybe our bull chased them away..... just all speculation

Was this steer adequately vaccinated against blackleg/malignant edema?
Still remember seeing about 10 big, beautifully marbled feedlot steers... almost finished... dead of blackleg. Guy feeding them said he hadn't vaccinated, "because it's so hard on them."
Not nearly as hard as dying...
oh my God yes vaccinated- he was right near our home we saw him at least every other day, he never limped, never lost his appetite. It's not blackleg

oh my God yes vaccinated- he was right near our home we saw him at least every other day, he never limped, never lost his appetite. It's not blackleg
The vets can correct me but I have never seen any symptoms of blackleg until it was dead.
And as I stated in another post was a booster to the blackleg given 14-21 days after the first shot.
I think Alpha 7 is the only one shot blackleg vaccine.
Sorry for the loss.

could the bull he was running with, been bullying him around,and shoved him into something?
No but I initially asked same question; I looked in a tiny tree grove for blood splatters I surveyed the area quite a while (why hubby loaded him before I could get my glove into the hole cause it took a while to look at tree Stubbs, I checked the rusty hay ring, the barbed wire fence etc) this bull penned with him is a yearling, and the steer slept under him while bull ate hay — but he's just not old enough to show much aggression right now I've watched them carefully. Shall never know now

The vets can correct me but I have never seen any symptoms of blackleg until it was dead.
And as I stated in another post was a booster to the blackleg given 14-21 days after the first shot.
I think Alpha 7 is the only one shot blackleg vaccine.
Sorry for the loss.
A person checking once a day or every other day could easily miss blackleg. They can go from normal to dead in a few hours.

What Buck said... In 60+ yrs of cattle production and 40+ yrs in veterinary medicine, I've only ever seen one live blackleg animal... and it was dead within 12 hrs. Every other one was found dead, either with no noted symptoms, or, in rare cases, the caretakers may have noticed it limping one day, and dead the next.

No doubt that it's a tragedy for you. But... the likelihood of gunshot, particularly in light of what you've shown us, is infinitesimally small.
As one of my professors once opined: "The most common things happen most often."
But, we'll never know...

This steer and 1 bull were penned 250 yards from our house in pasture. So if this was a bullet - we are all lucky we weren't shot.
Assuming the skin abrasions are from bloating stretch- hole the size of my pinkie in lower up/ down abrasion -if u enlarge pic it's circled. It had bubbly looking stuff coming out of it - which I think means a lung shot.
Unbelievable night— sheriff and animal patrol said nothing we they can do unless I saw someone shoot him or had a bullet to identify the gun.
I had a Charolais bull once that I thought might have caught a stray bullet in the leg during deer hunting. Vet checked him out and couldn't determine that it was, indeed, a bullet. And I think he was right because there was no exit wound. But if I were in your shoes, I'd have a vet do a post-mortem. That should satisfy your insurance claim. Problem solved -- well, sort of ...

The x could have been the stretching from the enormous swelling he'd already undergone, I think he'd been dead 1 day before I found him. Or a coyote came along at night maybe trying to eat him and maybe our bull chased them away..... just all speculation
Cowhide is really tough stuff, I don't see it ripping at all, and not in an X shape on the shoulder. Look up Cody Creelman on youtube, he's done lots of post mortems, some REALLY well inflated animals too

Guess we'll never know the cause though

What Buck said... In 60+ yrs of cattle production and 40+ yrs in veterinary medicine, I've only ever seen one live blackleg animal... and it was dead within 12 hrs. Every other one was found dead, either with no noted symptoms, or, in rare cases, the caretakers may have noticed it limping one day, and dead the next.

No doubt that it's a tragedy for you. But... the likelihood of gunshot, particularly in light of what you've shown us, is infinitesimally small.
As one of my professors once opined: "The most common things happen most often."
But, we'll never know...
This! Years ago I noticed a heifer calf limping one evening; she seemed perfectly fine the day before. Watched her for a while and couldn't tell which leg or specifically why she was limping. No other real obvious symptoms except she was generally very friendly but didn't seem to want me around. Didn't see her nurse but it was later in the day when the mamas were grazing, most of the calves were bedded down. Went out first thing in the morning and she was thrashing, on her side, bawling and dead before I could even call my vet. She had been vaccinated with Covexin 8 the weekend prior. I didn't feel "bubbles popping" anywhere on her and didn't have the vet come out to post her, but he's fairly certain it was blackleg. It happens.

Arrow removed or broken off? Did you check deep enough to eliminate the possibility of a buried arrow?

TCRanch,
While blackleg lesions in large muscle masses of limbs & trunk are most common, I have seen plenty of cases that affected only the heart muscle. Diaphragm and intercostal(in between ribs) muscles can be affected, as well - in those cases, you wouldn't feel crepitance (gas bubbles) in the muscle tissues - and wouldn't necessarily see hemorrhagic necrosis and gas if you cut into large muscle masses of legs, back, neck.

They were in a pasture with a feedbunk. OP sort of indicated they were vaccinated, but did not acknowledge they received proper booster. One shot is like pouring on the ground.
Alpha 7 is one dose protection. No booster required. But - Thick and a pain to administer. Tends to make a big knot.

Steve, I didn't see this feeding operation, just several of the dead steers. Clostridium spores are in soil everywhere, so...exposure is virtually a 'given', anywhere, if they graze or are exposed to dirt or dust.

Steve, I didn't see this feeding operation, just several of the dead steers. Clostridium spores are in soil everywhere, so...exposure is virtually a 'given', anywhere, if they graze or are exposed to dirt or dust.
To piggyback on this answer, the blackleg spores can remain in tissue indefinitely before causing disease, so it can happen if an animal has ever been exposed to soil, not just recently.

Even with that, I once diagnosed a case of blackleg in a dairy cow that had never set foot on dirt or grazed a blade of grass in her life. Dust is everywhere.

Latest posts