The Ultimate Calf Feeding Area?

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
I have a metal calf feeder which holds 500 lbs of creep. My bull seems to have figured out the more times he rolls it the more creep he can get out of it.

If you were building a pen that the calves could get in but not the bull or cows, and maybe with an adjustable gate/opening I'd appreciate your ideas. It would also be nice that the pen could be used as a holding area if needed.

This is what we use:
We took the corner of our barn, ran a 24 foot panel (old horse panel with hog panel wired to it) out lengthwise, then a 12 foot panel across the front with a gate (a horse panel). The 12 foot panel is back about 2 feet, and from the corner of the barn to the corner of the panel, we have a hot wire that is about 3 foot high. The calves go in and eat, lay down (in the cold), and that is where we can catch and work them. We added the metal panel against the barn wall to have a place to tie the calves while we work on halter breaking...
This does not work while we are on grass (for creep feeding), because the cattle do not come to the barn. However, when we pull them in and go on hay, it is awesome for creep feeding! We use it year round for halter breaking and catching calves...
This is looking at the 12 foot panel, with calves tied up along the panel and wall of the barn...
v9rhk.jpg

This is looking from the front, where they enter, along the 12 foot panel...
2lboppl.jpg

slick4591":335lkpad said:
I have a metal calf feeder which holds 500 lbs of creep. My bull seems to have figured out the more times he rolls it the more creep he can get out of it.

Bulls just wanna have fun!
Could get a bigger creep and challenge him. :idea:

Fire Sweep Ranch":18p22338 said:
This is what we use:
We took the corner of our barn, ran a 24 foot panel (old horse panel with hog panel wired to it) out lengthwise, then a 12 foot panel across the front with a gate (a horse panel). The 12 foot panel is back about 2 feet, and from the corner of the barn to the corner of the panel, we have a hot wire that is about 3 foot high. The calves go in and eat, lay down (in the cold), and that is where we can catch and work them. We added the metal panel against the barn wall to have a place to tie the calves while we work on halter breaking...
This does not work while we are on grass (for creep feeding), because the cattle do not come to the barn. However, when we pull them in and go on hay, it is awesome for creep feeding! We use it year round for halter breaking and catching calves...
This is looking at the 12 foot panel, with calves tied up along the panel and wall of the barn...
v9rhk.jpg

This is looking from the front, where they enter, along the 12 foot panel...
2lboppl.jpg

Thanks! I wish I had the area to use for something like that. I need a space I can have open year around as my breeding is spread out. I'd like to be able to keep creep out all the time. The area doesn't need to be large as I'll probably only have six calves at any given time.

Stocker Steve":2isvf1qs said:
slick4591":2isvf1qs said:

Bulls just wanna have fun!
Could get a bigger creep and challenge him. :idea:

:lol: I'm afraid I would go thru to many feeders before winning that fight.

I've got a 100 ' x60' lot pipe fence with bunks behind the barn . So my wife can fill the bunks then open the gates to let the cows in without getting run over. Problems arose when I put the horses in with the cows. I planned on a single pipe swinging at about 56 " to exclude the horses.
I don't know if it would work or not.n ever got to it. A hot wire gate strung at just under 60 " works great at excluding 15 hand high horses. Cows go right under. I expect a similar setup would work for you and the height is easily adjusted.

Build a creep gate and just make an area for the calves. Anchor the creep gate solidly or the bull will just see it as a challenge that he will eventually defeat.

Thanks. I guess there's no reason to re-invent the wheel. Looks like a little more work to do in the barn. I appreciate the suggestions.

If you have a confined area where you can put up a hot wire that calves can get under, that is all you need. Just put out feed and they will get it.

slick4591":33c1a88p said:
Finally gave my creep feeder away today to my b-i-l for the same reason. He's going to use it as a bulk feeder for his hair sheep. The char bull and the 2 horned BM cows had both learned how to flip it over. I had tried anchoring it down with tee posts, but they tore the excluder up trying to dislodge it.
I took a 8' tube gate last year and turned it into a creep gate across the entrance of a 8'x22' stall in the small barn and just keep the trough filled when I'm feeding creep, which isn't often anymore.

My brain is still running thru possibilities, but if I'm to use the barn I'll have to make some adjustments. I can run the hot wire easily enough but still wouldn't feel good about it until I add reinforcement in places. The barn was built for Dad's goats, so where wooden panels were used I'll have to replace with heavy duty ones. Thanks, I'll get it figured out.

callmefence":duxe2otg said:
I've got a 100 ' x60' lot pipe fence with bunks behind the barn . So my wife can fill the bunks then open the gates to let the cows in without getting run over. Problems arose when I put the horses in with the cows. I planned on a single pipe swinging at about 56 " to exclude the horses.
I don't know if it would work or not.n ever got to it. A hot wire gate strung at just under 60 " works great at excluding 15 hand high horses. Cows go right under. I expect a similar setup would work for you and the height is easily adjusted.

Right about throat high in the dark......That gives me an idea. :D

slick4591":3trktzd8 said:

If you were building a pen that the calves could get in but not the bull or cows, and maybe with an adjustable gate/opening I'd appreciate your ideas. It would also be nice that the pen could be used as a holding area if needed.

I have put a single hot wire that calves could go under but not the cows and bulls most of my issues come from bred heifers trying to fit in like they did when they were small.. Kinda like some women trying on jeans they wore in high school 30 years ago and it doesn't fit but they force their way in them.

Not only women. I have a five year old pair of wrangler jeans size 34 with the tags still on them. Thinking / dreaming of being able to wear them someday.

papavillars":1jrepptz said:
Not only women. I have a five year old pair of wrangler jeans size 34 with the tags still on them. Thinking / dreaming of being able to wear them someday.

You might. I went from size 40 last Jan back into 36 now.
(diagnosed diabetic in Jan..had to change how, when, how often, how much, and what I ate. I sure do miss Blue Bell..and beer)

papavillars":hv1sk7dd said:

I've got a lovely red size 6 dress waiting in my closet. It fit for about 5 minutes but hope springs eternal! (Unfortunately so does dark chocolate!)

It could be worse. A few years back I saw pictures from Montana (on Ranchers.net?) of a grizzly sow and a couple half grown cubs dining out of a creep feeder. They would be a bit more difficult to deal with than a bull who likes to push on things.

I figure crows and raccons got about 1/4 of the feed I ever put in a creep feeder..I sure don't want no bears around....

If we had bears I know they would be one of my least favorite to have around. My granddad told me one time that this county had lots of black bear in it when he moved here. I asked him what became of them and he said people were hungry.

Latest posts