New working area with load out.

Help Support CattleToday:

Named'em Tamed'em

Reaction score
I have 15 of these old growth cedar logs I'm going to mill up into 8x8 posts and 2x rails. Anyone have any ideas for a setup for my cattle sweep and short alley to squeeze chute. I'll want to back up and be able to load also. I'm thinking of a bud box style I only have 6 momma cows and will be cutting out a couple of those so it doesn't need to be huge.

Thanks Scott 20220508_201203.jpg

Forget the posts and make something of value (or have it made). Somebody somewhere would pay good shekels for a cedar chest
or cabinet or ?. The post might last 2 years depending where it is set. Good Luck,,,

You are starting on a If the dog hadn't stopped project.
"So it's just fuel and time." your words
Waste your time and your fuel and the mill will be gone with nothing to show.
Do I care? Not really but you will surely remember this conversation in days to come.
Would you feel the same way if it were your sweat and dreams that went into paying for the mill?

My friend died a horrible death from cancer and gifted us the mill. It's in the same spot (good friends house of 50 years) for 15 years and isn't going anywhere, it's a hobby and meeting place for old pals. This cedar and some maple are what I have free access to now.

Co-worker of mine just built a cedar working pen and put guard rail up. In 3 years you can push it down by hand. In 5 years it will fall over on it's on.

My friend died a horrible death from cancer and gifted us the mill. It's in the same spot (good friends house of 50 years) for 15 years and isn't going anywhere, it's a hobby and meeting place for old pals. This cedar and some maple are what I have free access to now.

Cedar is great for posts. It can be hard to drive a nail in it. But it is brittle in smaller dimensions. I'd stick with the posts but not do the 2X on anything a cow might test. Got any white pine you can mill? It has some flex.

Cedar is great for posts. It can be hard to drive a nail in it. But it is brittle in smaller dimensions. I'd stick with the posts but not do the 2X on anything a cow might test. Got any white pine you can mill? It has some flex.
Your thinking of a different kinda cedar.
Mountain cedar or ash juniper makes a decent post. Western red not so much. Nothing easier to drive a nail in.

Your thinking of a different kinda cedar.
Mountain cedar or ash juniper makes a decent post. Western red not so much. Nothing easier to drive a nail in.
What are the cedar posts at Home depot?

And yeah, I was thinking of the brittle kind that is hard to drive a nail in. We use western red cedar all the time for posts. But it's usually not large enough to mill.

This from google: "Some wood species are better than others for making sturdy fences and western red cedar is one of the best. Its heartwood contains oils that repel insects and resist rot and cedar fence posts can last 15 to 20 years or more."

What are the cedar posts at Home depot?

And yeah, I was thinking of the brittle kind that is hard to drive a nail in. We use western red cedar all the time for posts. But it's usually not large enough to mill.

This from google: "Some wood species are better than others for making sturdy fences and western red cedar is one of the best. Its heartwood contains oils that repel insects and resist rot and cedar fence posts can last 15 to 20 years or more."
Western red cedar is the stuff at home Depot. Very soft low tensile strength lumber. Used often for decorate privacy type fence. Very poor choice for post. That's from me...no google.

Western red cedar is the stuff at home Depot. Very soft low tensile strength lumber. Used often for decorate privacy type fence. Very poor choice for post. That's from me...no google.
Yeah, I've used it for privacy fencing and it's fine. It lasts in the ground. The OP said he was milling it to 8X8 which should be more than enough for cows.

It's basically all I have, and I've been out of work awhile. And if it lasts like the last one I'll be fine.

Now, any hints on a configuration??
He// no. I'll spout off about materials and techniques all day but I ain't getting into layout. 😂... almost impossible to be right.... learned the hard way... long time ago. All I'll say is make it a little bigger and add a few gates.

He// no. I'll spout off about materials and techniques all day but I ain't getting into layout. 😂... almost impossible to be right.... learned the hard way... long time ago. All I'll say is make it a little bigger and add a few gates.
And holding pens and a gate in your chute Incase you need to turn something back.
Plus I really like sliding gates in my chutes, it makes life a lot easier.

It's basically all I have, and I've been out of work awhile. And if it lasts like the last one I'll be fine.

Now, any hints on a configuration??

Two square pens with a chute running between them. Gates at either end so you can channel the cows into the chute or into the other pen. At the headgate end a gate so you can return the cow around to the chute/headgate if you missed the catch, or into the second pen if you are through with her. The recieving end of the chute has to have a funnel. I like to have my water trough in the second pen so my cows get comfortable coming in. Make sure one gate is where you can back your trailer up to it so you can load.

That's about as simple as it gets.

There are tons of cedar fences and and cedar cattle pens down here that have lasted a long time. I don't think it is the same kind of cedar though. The cedar we use has a big red heart in it that gets hard as can be.

It's really hard to come buy good cedar posts now days, here.

Latest posts